Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1767717 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3225 on: 11 September, 2012, 07:49:40 pm »
 :thumbsup: campsite, rear lights and pub inspection. Last visit was short on detail.

All being well I'll be there by 8:30 - so a nocturnal inspection then...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3226 on: 13 September, 2012, 01:27:37 pm »
So, about last night ...

Huggy and I left Witham at 1900 hrs and rode up Wickham Bishops hill and down the other side; traversed across to The Mighty North Hill which was conquered and then it started raining - quite hard.  We pressed on getting increasingly wet and managed to conquer Maldon's Market Hill.  We hung a right passing The Blue Boar and set off down hill again.  We had just gone past the hand pump on the left and reached the bollards just as you go back onto Market Hill when two things happened. 

Firstly, Huggy had a clipless moment and fell over.  Just as he had picked himself up and I was trying to look concerned Tomsk appeared from nowhere like the shop keeper in Mr Ben.  We brief chat whilst Huggy regained his composure.  Huggy set off first and then proceeded to slither off downhill with both feet still on the ground.  It looked for all the world like he was going to fall off again.  Fortunately he didn't.  Off we went into the rain with me thinking I could easily of got £250 off Harry Hill's "You've Been Framed" TV show had Huggy only given me enough notice to get my camera ready.

Finally we dripped into the Old Ship at Heybridge Basin where JenM was waiting.  Beer was ordered (Maldon Gold and Adnam's Broadside) and business commenced.  It might only be September but the Christmas do was discussed with Tomsk coming up with some terrific ideas - the man was on fire.  We nominated an organiser, suffice to say the nominee wasn't present to argue.  A thread has been created.  We also did a double Baton handover.

After finishing our drinks we inspected the campsite including the loo block (Huggy remembered the door code) and set off home.  Thankfully it had stopped raining.

All in all a very pleasant fun packed evening.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3227 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:36:52 pm »
Yes, a fun evening, despite the sogginess encountered en-route. Given the tailwind, it was I suspect only a very moderate spell of rain that kept pace all the way to Heybridge.

A few bonus miles on the way back to Witham and despite a bit of headscratching there, through and on track for Terling, arriving in Dunmow at 01:00; 55 miles, almost the Longest MEMWNS Ride for me.

Good to meet JenM and have the honour of being passed The Baton.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3228 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:46:53 pm »
Firstly, Huggy had a clipless moment and fell over.  Just as he had picked himself up and I was trying to look concerned Tomsk appeared from nowhere like the shop keeper in Mr Ben.  We brief chat whilst Huggy regained his composure.  Huggy set off first and then proceeded to slither off downhill with both feet still on the ground. 

I claim the mitigating circumstances of too much blood in the alcohol system and the altitude of Market Hill, not to mention the p!ssing rain :facepalm:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3229 on: 19 September, 2012, 09:29:18 am »
This Thursday evening for a ride/drink/baton handover?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3230 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:39:52 am »
Unfortunately I can't come out to play this week  :(

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3231 on: 20 September, 2012, 12:54:05 pm »
 :( Anyone else out there?

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3232 on: 20 September, 2012, 01:12:44 pm »
Soz Tomsk, just so busy at the coalface at the moment.   :-\

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3233 on: 23 September, 2012, 11:43:01 pm »
I'm going to be needing a spin this Wednesday to keep the legs going prior to THE BIG ONE on Friday.  Any thoughts?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3234 on: 24 September, 2012, 07:26:02 pm »
Went past the 'Viper' yesterday on the Autumn Leaves Sportive -very tempted to call in as it was still chucking it down, but as I was nearly finished I slogged on to be the first back...in the veteran, fixed-gear, mudguarded category ;)

Been ages since we went there on a Wednesday evening....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3235 on: 24 September, 2012, 08:15:15 pm »
Hmmm, The Viper is nice but a bit of a git to get to from here (being very shellfish).  I might be back late on Wednesday evening cos I'm coming back from from Cun... (I must stop calling it that), Kent.  I was thinking The Compasses at Littlely Green.  What do we think?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3236 on: 24 September, 2012, 08:42:24 pm »
We like the Compasses too :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3237 on: 24 September, 2012, 08:44:29 pm »
We like the Compasses too :thumbsup:

Is this a plan forming?  Anyone else out there?  Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ...

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3238 on: 24 September, 2012, 08:49:09 pm »
I reckon I'll be working late, soz.

« Reply #3239 on: 24 September, 2012, 09:51:51 pm »
I'm a maybe  :)

What's The Windmill at Chatham Green like? Went past it today. Realised I have been there before, but not since I was about 8 - drinking Coca Cola from the old skool bottles through a straw  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3240 on: 25 September, 2012, 10:16:05 am »
Not sure I fancy a swim Wednesday evening, again!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3241 on: 25 September, 2012, 10:21:22 am »
Character forming liquid sunshine ;D

« Reply #3242 on: 25 September, 2012, 10:24:03 am »
I need a leg warmer as well so might come along for the ride. I won't be available till about 8ish tho.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3243 on: 25 September, 2012, 11:40:47 am »
The Windmill at Chatham Green then? Not far to adjourn to the Compasses, if its not to our liking.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3244 on: 26 September, 2012, 06:36:50 am »
Morning!  I'm happy with The Windmill at Chatham Green and have planned a nice little route to get there and back. 

Christophe, happy to leave Witham at 8pm, where would you like to meet?

« Reply #3245 on: 26 September, 2012, 08:00:09 am »
Well, it looks like the best weather to be had today will be in the evening  :thumbsup:

Depending on levels of arsedness, I'll either meet you in Witham, en route or at the pub.

I should finally get my new Dolan finished today, but need to shake it down first so may ride something else  :-\

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3246 on: 26 September, 2012, 08:04:25 am »
 :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3247 on: 26 September, 2012, 01:34:44 pm »
 :thumbsup: Tonight I'll be dusting down & testing my Ridgeback folding bike, with its new rear hub - off in a fortnight for a weeks cycling/hiking camping tour up north, returning via the LEL controllers meeting in York [if its not still under water then ;D]

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3248 on: 26 September, 2012, 01:40:21 pm »
The depart from Witham is planned for 8pm at the Powers Hall End/Spa Road/Flora Road roundabout with OD and me, maybe Christophe and bobb as per posts up thread.
OD will be along in a minute to say what our ETA at Chatham Green will be as I have no idea what magical mystery tour he has planned to get us there, or back.  ::-)

« Reply #3249 on: 26 September, 2012, 01:57:10 pm »
Ok, I shall be there at 20:00 exactly  :)