Author Topic: Which pet insurer for two cats?  (Read 1241 times)

Which pet insurer for two cats?
« on: 19 August, 2009, 11:12:57 am »
Following on from this, can anyone recommend me a pet insurer for two ex-Battersea cats, no pedigree, no health problems, four and nine years old? I'm aware that I can just go to a price comparison site to find the cheapest, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which to avoid, or which ones have good service, etc.

Ta.

:)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Re: Which pet insurer for two cats?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2009, 02:47:09 pm »
We have the beasts insured with More Than, and they've never quibbled about the ginormo-bills that Robot Tabbyface racked up when in Cat Hospital, or the hefty bills from the emergency vet when Bear had to be emergency-looked-at, or any amount of other stuff. They are not the cheapest about, and there's a reasonably large excess on older cats (£100-ish? I can't remember), but they have been swift at processing claims. They are happy to insure Battersea beasties, and I think (not sure on this) happy to insure all ages of beast. I have no idea how they compare to others these days - they were good value when I got my lot, but there weren't so many options then.

Pet Plan are very good indeed, from what I know, and deal directly with the vet rather than you needing to pay and claim,  but they're also very expensive.

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2009, 03:34:58 pm »
I used Direct Line for all our moggies (all rescue cats) and they've been pretty good.  They aren't too expensive.  I think they have an upper age restriction for taking a cat on, but once insured they'll cover the cat for life.  They were quick to pay out when I had an accident and they had to go into a cattery, and also when Sprocket got cancer and died.
Spinning, but not cycling...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2009, 01:09:45 pm »
Petplan ain't bad.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2009, 01:16:21 pm »
Petplan ain't bad.

I went with Petplan in the end, because there was an offer whereby they'll cover a condition for life, whereas Direct Line would only cover a condition for a year (or so the small print seemed to say). Tesco (of whom I had been told Good Things) would only cover a condition for up to £2000 (as opposed to Direct Line and PetPlan's £4000), and the Sainsbury's website was sh!t. I had two cats and a ferret sitting jumping in the air on the bed with me and my laptop, and I couldn't really spare the time to navigate their unhelpful tick-boxes.  ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

gonzo

« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2009, 01:20:16 pm »
Petplan completely covered an old dog of mine which had serious heart problems throughout his life (6 years) and several major operations.

« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2009, 03:10:25 pm »
direct line for us. Pretty good.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 25 August, 2009, 01:59:08 pm »
Unless the premiums have decreased a lot recently pet insurance isn't worth it

If moggiekins can't be cured by a few shots of antibotics and a month of taking it easy then it's time to go to the great radiator in the sky