Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 426405 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1425 on: 07 August, 2014, 11:41:51 pm »

Date          Distance /Time          Course type          Weather conditions           Bike ridden

19/06/14      10m / 28.59             U48/Flat             Dry, sunny, no breeze        Fixed sooty (67")
17/07/14      10m / 26.59             U48/Flat             Dry, sunny, no breeze        (New) sooty bike
07/08/14      10m / 26.22             U48/Flat             Dry, sunny, light breeze     (New) sooty bike + tri-bars + 1100 Audax miles ;-)

mmm - gonna have to start working at it now; more bling makes it easier? ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1426 on: 08 August, 2014, 08:21:39 am »
Just did my club's 'hilly' 13-miler (this is Suffolk!). and my first TT for many years. Absolute crap! Averaged 17.2 with heart rate at 160, peak 168 (my Max HR is around 172). 17.2 mph! I can average that over 100k on the same roads with an average HR of 135-140, so WTF? My lad, who I'm generally faster than, averaged evens. I feel ok, I haven't ridden a huge amount in the obvious week. The only unusual factor is that I rode my PX RT57 soot road bike, which I don't use very often as it's stiffer than I like. Gutted!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1427 on: 08 August, 2014, 04:02:53 pm »
Last night completed this year's recovery-from-long-ride calibration experiment. What a difference 4 days make.

Unlike Sunday, last night I actually had some legs and could let the genie out of the bottle*. Still 2nd slowest of course (ahead of a bloke with a heart problem), BUT I suspect it was my fastest 10 without aero bits. 26.46, and 1m20 faster than the same course (soaked) a month ago.

So, 1000-mile week + 8 days recovery = knackered,
But ... +12 days = right as rain.

Shame Iddu and I didn't arrange a head-to-head for the perfect experiment!

*(C) Bikey Mikey
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1428 on: 09 August, 2014, 10:54:37 pm »
21:20 today for me, on the V718.  That's a new PB on a windy day, so I should really be very pleased.  However, my clubmate beat me by 11 seconds so I'm still asking the what ifs; like most testers I'm never satisfied!

rob

« Reply #1429 on: 10 August, 2014, 10:09:49 am »
21:20 today for me, on the V718.  That's a new PB on a windy day, so I should really be very pleased.  However, my clubmate beat me by 11 seconds so I'm still asking the what ifs; like most testers I'm never satisfied!

Great ride.   Is that course really as fast as they say ? And, if so, what causes it ?

Rob

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1430 on: 10 August, 2014, 12:58:38 pm »
Yes, it's fast.  Our club flat 10 loop is a ropey old thing, and is a good 2 minutes slower: I did it two Thursdays ago and was almost exactly 2 minutes down on yesterday, on a less windy day.  Apart from being a straight, fairly flat main road, I think the main reason for the 718's speed is that it's sheltered.  The wind was a good 15-20mph yesterday, almost straight down the course, but I was still able to hit 30mph at some points on the return (headwind) leg. 

rob

« Reply #1431 on: 01 September, 2014, 05:18:09 pm »
KCA 12hr this weekend.   Probably half a stone up on the weight I had for the 24hr due to a couple of holidays and a dose of real life.   The course is really flat, though, so shouldn't make a lot of difference.   This and the Breckland 50 will round the year off and have to time to take stock and decide what next years targets should be.

« Reply #1432 on: 03 September, 2014, 02:01:30 pm »
I will make my timetrial debut at the kca 12hr this weekend.

I tend to develop  an interest in trying a 12hr and 24hr by the time I have finished a year of audaxing. I never usually get beyond the contemplation and planning stage, but I have finally got round to entering.

I expect to get a modest return. I know I can ride for 12hours but the only riding I have really done is long steady miles. My plan to get used to a new position and add some faster riding have not worked out due to a house move. I have also put on a fair bit of weight. Ill try and set myself a marker to possibly improve on next year.

Hopefully it will be the catalyst to introducing a bit more variety into my cycling year. Alternatively it might put me off altogether.

I expect it to be like fun only different.

« Reply #1433 on: 06 September, 2014, 10:27:21 pm »
Good luck at the KCA 12 tomorrow.  Hope the wind stays down.

I made the journey up to Etwall for the BDCA 100 today.  Got a PB - 4:10:19
Fast course.  Noisy, with all the traffic on the concrete surface.  But an enjoyable course to ride.  Best bit is when you get to the top of the mountain the second time you still have 30 miles to go, but 25 of them are downhill!

That's it for me this season; no plans for any more opens.  May do some club events for fun.

Been a good season with PBs at 25, 50, 100 and 12 hour.  I suspect the main reason is that I went to faster courses.  But that is allowed!

rob

« Reply #1434 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:48:33 am »
I ran out with 229 miles for a 15 miles PB improvement.   Hoped and scheduled for more.    I was comfortably running at evens at 7hrs, but my lower back issues returned.    Toyed with packing when I got to the finishing circuit, having a brief sob when I got there.   Pulled myself together seeing all the supporters and my family and pushed on without much power.

I have a 240 ride in me I'm sure, but that will need to wait another year.

I have the Breckland 50 in 2 weeks time to get a (hopefully fast) BBAR ride.   My fastest 50 this year wasn't a qualifier.

I've PB'd 10/25/50/100/12hr and done my first 24hr this year.   Pretty happy in all and lots to think about over the Winter.

« Reply #1435 on: 10 September, 2014, 06:59:06 pm »
My entry into the world of TT was not great, effectively a DNF. I ended up with a distance as I got to the finishing circuit because I needed to go that way to get my things and the train home.

Plenty of lessons learnt. My pacing was where I wanted through the first 100 miles with my HR steady around 150bpm and legs feeling good.

My problems started there with dehydration and nutrition issues.
My body was not used to digesting food and fluid at that level of effort and position. I was left struggling to eat and having waves of nausea. Drinking also became increasingly difficult.

I tried resting a bit a few times then moving on but my head went as well after around 150 miles as it was not fun anymore and I felt horrid.

In hindsight I started with a lack of sleep, already partly dehydrated after a few days of physical work at home. Need to devise a better eating strategy.

Despite my disappointment at failing to finish I rode over 300k by the time I got home. I have 11 hours event experience to take into next year that I would not have had.

Now to consider actually doing some proper preparation and entering a few events next year.

rob

« Reply #1436 on: 22 September, 2014, 08:54:52 am »
Last race of the year yesterday, CC Breckland 50 on the A11 in Norfolk.   The Southern turn had been flooded on Saturday so there was a last-minute course alteration and we did 5 * 10mile 'laps'.   This made the course a little slower as there were more turns.   Managed 2:11:39, 1m30 off my PB, but that was set in June when I was way fitter and a fair bit lighter.

A summary of the year and PBs :-

10 - 24:54 (-1:13)
25 - 1:03:19 (-7:07)
50 - 2:10:12 (-15:27)
100 - 4:34:59 (-22:45)
12hr - 229.88 (+16.03)
24hr - 410.08 (first go)

A few weeks off now to assess the year.   The 50 was probably the ride that I thought went best, but I feel I underachieved a little on the 100 and 12hr.   There's some equipment and positional gains to be made, not least around my 12hr position.   My training went pretty well up to about May when it was interrupted by a dose of real life.   Definitely more to be had next year.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1437 on: 28 March, 2015, 10:55:56 pm »

The first TT of the year for me - in fact, it was my first TT since my successful attempt on the V718 last August. 

As you can see, this time wasn't so successful. 

Small consolation: as I was running across the sliproad to rejoin the fray, I saw Simon Beldon, who did one of the few 19s of the day, round the turn.  I doubt he saw me, so not catching me will hopefully have screwed with his head - if he was thinking at all by the end.  I clearly wasn't at half way!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1438 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:24:13 pm »
First club 10 of the year for me, my first full-distance TT in about 18 months (the five-point-something mile prologue last week doesn't really count) and my first evens (29:35). Happy me.  ;D ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1439 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:36:04 pm »
Good stuff  :thumbsup:

I'm currently experiencing the downside of not riding for a Yorkshire club anymore: I'm third reserve on a V718 event that has pref to Yorkshire riders.  I want to right the wrong in my last post!

rob

« Reply #1440 on: 19 April, 2015, 07:45:45 pm »
First TT of the year next weekend.   My club's open 10 on the Tonbridge bypass.   Went out and tested the TT rig with all new wheelset today.   Have increased my gear ratio a bit this year as well.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1441 on: 22 April, 2015, 12:07:20 pm »
Have signed up for the Richmond Park TT again this year. I guess what I really need to do are more TTs but the rest in the area are weekday evenings!

« Reply #1442 on: 22 April, 2015, 12:22:15 pm »
I did a couple in early March, but I think this is about week 3 of the evening ones. Maybe week 4- I do Tuesdays and Thursdays normally. I've started like a rocket so far, I didn't expect this at all, as I've been focusing a lot more on long distance stuff, and running as well so my legs are in a permanent state of knackeredness.

Really excited to get onto the quicker courses in a couple of weeks as I'm sick of these lumpy ones with too many corners. Love love the TT season.

« Reply #1443 on: 23 April, 2015, 08:21:02 pm »
I had my first one last night, which was our club 10.35 mile one at Hillingdon Circuit. 

It was a bit windy and chilly but it was a lot of fun.  We had 57 starters so it was a bit busy on the circuit at times, but it made it interesting working out how to manage your overtakes and avoid being cut up. 

I've been focusing on long distance too and not done any speed work at all so I didn't know how I would go.  But I was pleasantly surprised.  My power was up from last year and, despite not great conditions, I did a decent enough time - and I felt I had a good bit in reserve, so the winter miles are paying off for me as well. 

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1444 on: 23 April, 2015, 11:13:44 pm »
No club 10 for me tonight. Got to the HQ after work, to find that there had been an RTC on the course and the police had closed the road. Fingers crossed all involved are OK.

« Reply #1445 on: 24 April, 2015, 09:11:02 am »
That's not good at all :( hope everyone is ok.

Got a massive PB on a course on Tuesday, although it was fairly soft as I don't think I rode it last year.

Took 17 seconds off a strong PB last night, managing over 25mph on a 'not fast' course, very happy as I'm rubbish at any of these courses with corners and 'hills'. I can't wait to get on one of the flat out and back one roundabout ones, this is all going too well.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1446 on: 24 April, 2015, 12:39:02 pm »
Congrats on both the PBs, LC!

Sadly the local newspaper website reports that it was cyclist vs the back of a parked lorry, and given the timing and the mention of a "racing bicycle" it sounds like it might have been a TTer warming up on the course.  Not good.

rob

« Reply #1447 on: 26 April, 2015, 04:52:50 pm »
PB yesterday morning of 23:46 on the Catford 10 on the Tonbridge bypass.   Spun out at 37mph on the gift hill start, but then hard up to the turn, before a fast run back.   Pretty pleased after a hard Winter.   A 25 next weekend before returning to PBP qualifiers.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1448 on: 26 April, 2015, 05:02:34 pm »
21:29 for me on the V718 yesterday.  9 seconds outside PB,  but I'd acquired a disc since then so there'll be some free speed.  I could never get my heart rate above 10 beats below where I saw it in training last week: perhaps I wasn't tapered and rested enough, perhaps I didn't warm up enough or perhaps it was the wet, windy and not overly warm weather that did it (the event was abandoned 3/4 of the way through due to spray).  It was probably a combination of all three.  I'll have to find another event on there - except there aren't any I can enter for ages.  Ah well, it means I've got plenty of time to train in the meantime!

rob

« Reply #1449 on: 04 May, 2015, 08:04:28 am »
Punctured at 7 miles in the very wet Wigmore 25 yesterday.  Fixed it but was very cold and wet and had lost 10 minutes.   Disconsolate 9 mile ride back to the HQ.   Can't really fit any more races in before June as I have 400 and 600 qualifiers to get out the way.