Linked Events

• Kernow & Southwest 600 Audax: 07 June, 2008
  • Kernow & SW 600k BRM: 30 May, 2009 - 31 May, 2009

Author Topic: Kernow & SW 600 - Hummer's favourite  (Read 55566 times)

Re: Kernow & SW 600 - Hummer's favourite
« Reply #50 on: 11 April, 2009, 07:15:21 pm »
sleep,what is this. don't let Chris Davies this thread  :)

Are you taking the CCP?

« Reply #51 on: 11 April, 2009, 07:50:02 pm »
missed out the word 'read.'
read cycling weekly for  chris latest words of wisdom

« Reply #52 on: 11 April, 2009, 08:28:59 pm »
missed out the word 'read.'
read cycling weekly for  chris latest words of wisdom

Ah yes. I'd forgotten. D'you think he's their target readership?

simonp

« Reply #53 on: 11 April, 2009, 11:21:47 pm »
Hmm.  Less than 2 months away and my longest ride YTD is 112km.

Probably have to pass.  :(

« Reply #54 on: 12 April, 2009, 04:31:06 pm »

Ah yes. I'd forgotten. D'you think he's their target readership?
i hope  not, means audax riders are similar to him

« Reply #55 on: 13 April, 2009, 07:25:04 am »
Anyone got a .gpx file for this? I found the Google maps route from Ian's website, but haven't a clue how to download it (or if you can.)

« Reply #56 on: 14 April, 2009, 12:32:58 pm »
I'm not sure you can do much with the Google maps route as it's just drawn in. However I have now made a proper Bikely version here which I think you can use.

« Reply #57 on: 24 April, 2009, 01:01:13 pm »
We now have basic facilities in the Whipton Community Hall at the start.
At Bude, 365k, a hall is booked with food and basic sleeping facilities.
Then we have food and drink at the finish, and space to doze for a while.

The other controls are as last year, including Chez Don in Penzance.

Despite all these facilities, it remains a 600 for grown-ups.  ;)

JJ

Kernow and SW 600 2009
« Reply #58 on: 05 May, 2009, 10:27:16 pm »
Any familiar faces on this one?  Who will restore to me the will to live on the A39 in the rain?  It's the scene of my only pack, in 2005.

Any recommendations for a B&B the night before, or should I get into the spirit by dossing down in an Exeter doorway?

Re: Kernow and SW 600 2009
« Reply #59 on: 05 May, 2009, 10:51:53 pm »
Note there is an existing thread.

There's a Travelodge, a youth hostel, and loads of B&Bs. My website has links to local sites.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #60 on: 05 May, 2009, 11:02:13 pm »
....or should I get into the spirit by dossing down in an Exeter doorway?

You could sleep in a doorway but that won't help as there are excellent sleeping facilities in Bude at about the time you'll need them and many other well placed controls throughout the ride.

No, if you want to get into the spirit of it, why not come down to Exeter a day early, ride down to Plymouth over the moors on the Moretonhampstead road and come back via the South Hams?

H

JJ

« Reply #61 on: 06 May, 2009, 12:48:08 am »
Note there is an existing thread.

Poo. I looked at that and thought it all referred to 2008.  I must have had on the head I usually reserve for navigating.  Perhaps some kind admin will see fit to repair the rift.

« Reply #62 on: 06 May, 2009, 08:09:37 am »
Perhaps some kind admin will see fit to repair the rift.

Thanks MV!

JJ

« Reply #63 on: 06 May, 2009, 12:18:25 pm »
Thanks indeed.  If I can apply the same navigational skills on the ride, I should get to see quite a lot of Dorset.

« Reply #64 on: 06 May, 2009, 02:01:01 pm »
Thanks indeed.  If I can apply the same navigational skills on the ride, I should get to see quite a lot of Dorset.

Don't worry immediately if you do see a Dorset sign. The route does just touch the border. Wilts or Hants should ring alarm bells.

« Reply #65 on: 07 May, 2009, 04:28:30 am »

No gratuitous Counties then.

« Reply #66 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:54:11 am »
Anybody with a Travelodge family room booked before/after the ride with space for A. N. Other? I'd also be interested in sharing transport from London or SE if possible to minimise the £s.

Jes

« Reply #67 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:51:45 pm »

Despite all these facilities, it remains a 600 for grown-ups.  ;)

Hope to do this if the domestics can be organised but bit concerned about how grown up one has to be... :-\

I have visions of Elenith = times two....

border-rider

« Reply #68 on: 19 May, 2009, 02:05:30 pm »

I don't remember much (anything ?) I couldn't ride on fixed, so it doesn't have the steepies like the Elenith, but it also doesn't have many of the flattish sections that the Elenith does.  It's pretty non-stop lumpy and as Vorsprung has said, once you've ridden this you won't really worry about hills ever again: "Oh, another hill.  Best ride up that, then"

« Reply #69 on: 19 May, 2009, 02:10:27 pm »

There's nothing remotely as hard as the Devil's Staircase, but there are a couple of hard sections. here are the notes appended to the routesheet:-

The K&SW 600 is challenging in parts. The route to the first control is straightforward and easy: you may get to Bude before the control opens. When you get there, relax, but not for too long. The next leg, to Looe, is hard. Take it easy and be prepared to lose time on this section. Eat wisely at the control before tackling the route to the ferry. Once out of Fowey the way becomes less strenuous. Past Truro you will find yourself on lanes, then quiet ‘B’ roads to Marazion. If the weather’s good there should be views of both coasts. You will pass St Michael’s Mount on your way to Penzance where Don and family await your arrival. Don will be able to give advice about the rest of the event. Apart from one or two climbs the next stage is straightforward and takes you through Camborne. Some of it is not particularly scenic, but it gets you to Newquay with a minimum of fuss. If you need to stock up with food or drink, Newquay is your last chance for 70km. From there the route follows ‘B’ roads to the A39 and a long night-time bash to Bude where food and sleep facilities await. If you need a break, divert into Wadebridge (though I can’t guarantee anything being open late at night). The longest stage is from Bude to Taunton Deane. It’s a rural route, but you can find supplies if needed in Tiverton at 453km. In Taunton Deane Services the garage is accessed via the road left of the main buildings. Please beware of traffic. Now comes a slightly tricky bit through Somerset villages and small towns, avoiding the heavily trafficked roads around Taunton. Keep an eye on the routesheet. Once you’ve arrived at the garage control just outside Yeovil, you only have 80km to go. There’s a section of A30 to Crewkerne, then ‘B’ roads to Seaton. Get a receipt of some sort here. There are several fish and chip shops on or near Harbour Rd after the mini-roundabout. It’s a lumpy route to Branscombe, but still quicker than climbing up to the main road. The A3052 through Sidmouth and Newton Poppleford can be busy at times, so take care. After Halfway House it’s quiet roads back into Exeter and a warm welcome at the finish.

Jes

« Reply #70 on: 19 May, 2009, 02:31:05 pm »
Thanks Ian...

Ah yes, Taunton Deane Services ...I have bad memories of trying to get there on the Beast of the East in 2007. Could see it, but took ages to get there through what seemed like a maze - and the pouring rain.

And Yeoville. That was where I woke up in the hall after a couple of hours kip to the sound of someone pouring frozen peas on the tin roof.....it's all coming back to me :-\.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #71 on: 20 May, 2009, 04:44:58 pm »
Thanks Ian...

Ah yes, Taunton Deane Services ...I have bad memories of trying to get there on the Beast of the East in 2007. Could see it, but took ages to get there through what seemed like a maze - and the pouring rain.

And Yeoville. That was where I woke up in the hall after a couple of hours kip to the sound of someone pouring frozen peas on the tin roof.....it's all coming back to me :-\.

Probably good to take Ian's advice and load up in Tiverton. I remember arriving at TD services back in the days when the Beast was called the Waltham Wander to find almost everything closed and the cafe virtually out of food. It was a grim next leg to Yeovil.... mind you, it was a grim ride generally!

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #72 on: 20 May, 2009, 04:51:57 pm »
Thanks Ian...

Probably good to take Ian's advice and load up in Tiverton. I remember arriving at TD services back in the days when the Beast was called the Waltham Wander to find almost everything closed and the cafe virtually out of food. It was a grim next leg to Yeovil.... mind you, it was a grim ride generally!

Mine's a fairly gentle Levels route to the outskirts of Yeovil, via the rather grand old village of Montacute. Nothing grim about it; you'll feel as if you're riding on clouds.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #73 on: 21 May, 2009, 11:11:30 am »
I found the worse bit for supplies was leaving Bude early in the morning and heading across to Tiverton via Hatherleigh.

There is a garage open in Hatherleigh which does the full range of essentials but that's about it for a sunday passing through villages until you get to Tiverton.

In 2005 I ran out of fluids several miles short of Tiverton

I just had a cake at Taunton Deane services.  I'd already stopped off at home for lunch

I didn't find Taunton Deane difficult to get to once I'd figured out which minor road to take from the A38.  Despite being local I didn't know you could get in the back of Taunton Deane services from West Buckland. 

Me and Mal Volio did go off piste after Taunton Deane despite having Ianh and Teethgrinder just ahead of us

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #74 on: 21 May, 2009, 12:43:42 pm »
It's funny what comes back to you.

On the 2006 edition of this one, there was a surreal moment on the Bude-Tiverton stretch where marshals were putting up sign posts for a running event - I guess at 1 mile intervals. I'd pass them as they were stopped to put the sign up and they'd pass me on the way to the next mile point. This went on for some time. 

And never mind fluids and foods, don't forget to pack the suntan lotion.  8) I'd passed blistery and gone straight to crispy by time I got to Taunton Deane services. That's where a complete stranger thought it was his duty to ask me if it was illegal for me not to be wearing a helment and did I think I was irresponsible for not doing so.

It became apparent to him that this was the wrong sort of conversation to strike up with a hot and sweary Hummers.

H