Author Topic: Twilight 600km  (Read 20765 times)

Re: Twilight 600km
« Reply #25 on: 14 May, 2008, 02:33:03 pm »
Indeed it is.
I've PMd neilmc and RJMcB.

Mr HE - ISTR having to try a few times to speak to Inchree. If they are full, the Onich bunkhouse is fine (but I think we need to provide our own supplies for breakfast.)

Eck, you have PM.

neilmc.

y lee g

« Reply #26 on: 14 May, 2008, 05:09:55 pm »
Good stuff, a bandwagon seems to be developing. 

For those swithering, I'm assured by Hibernian Exile that its going to be a "team" pace ie leave SQF 6am, aim to get to Inchree (c 360k) by midnight (=20kph) and a right good kip, leaving at 7am or so. 

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #27 on: 14 May, 2008, 09:23:34 pm »
Good stuff, a bandwagon seems to be developing. 

For those swithering, I'm assured by Hibernian Exile that its going to be a "team" pace ie leave SQF 6am, aim to get to Inchree (c 360k) by midnight (=20kph) and a right good kip, leaving at 7am or so. 

...and, leaving Kirriemuir at 7 o'clock, a small peloton of three (so far) will be travelling at a gentlemanly pace to our breakfast rendezvous at Aberfeldy.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #28 on: 15 May, 2008, 05:26:54 pm »
Philip Jurczyk has confirmed he will ride the 600km
Need to check with my coach as to what tatic's I shall be able to use and eta at control's

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #29 on: 15 May, 2008, 07:30:14 pm »
Philip Jurczyk has confirmed he will ride the 600km
Need to check with my coach as to what tatic's I shall be able to use and eta at control's

:thumbsup:
Excellent. So... that's so far, 3 from SQ and 3 from Kirrie.
2/3 of the Kirrie peloton will be out playing on the Snow Roads tomorrow - the Friday deadline - so we will be incommunicado, but we are all definite starters.

RJMcB - are you still contemplating?  :-\

« Reply #30 on: 15 May, 2008, 07:45:07 pm »
I ve been trying to get in touch with the bunkhouse's but no luck so far
I shall try later to give advance warning to the warden of weather beaten 
cyclist's that might appear at his door in reasonable fettle I hope

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #31 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:34:42 pm »
I'm afraid I can't make next weekend but I'm planning to ride the Twilight on the weekend of the 14th June instead.

I'll be hanging on the back of the Cyclops Peleton :thumbsup: I think there'll be three of us. Would have been great if we'd all being doing it on the same weekend, but the 14th suits me much better. Shame I'll be missing Durness Duress, but a local 600 is better value than driving a 400 mile round trip for a 300.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

y lee g

« Reply #32 on: 19 May, 2008, 01:42:18 pm »
Just spoke with Hibernain Exile

He has tried teh suggested bunkhouses and other places and I quote "can't find anything from Glenfinnan to Ballachulish".  He wondered if perhaps one of our number had nipped in and had maybe made a booking already?  I would suspect not, as I am sure we would have seen something on here first. 

We had a brief discusioon about our plans - we'll keep an eye on the weather but as things stand we plan to ride as planned, without having any accomodation booked and will kip  "sauvage" if required.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #33 on: 19 May, 2008, 01:51:14 pm »
Just spoke with Hibernain Exile

He has tried teh suggested bunkhouses and other places and I quote "can't find anything from Glenfinnan to Ballachulish".  He wondered if perhaps one of our number had nipped in and had maybe made a booking already?  I would suspect not, as I am sure we would have seen something on here first. 

We had a brief discusioon about our plans - we'll keep an eye on the weather but as things stand we plan to ride as planned, without having any accomodation booked and will kip  "sauvage" if required.

I tried to book the honeymoon suite at The Onich Hotel for David and me, but sadly it was not available. So we may join you in some sauvage sleeping arrangements.  :-\

I might try to get a pair of rainlegs before the weekend. "Showers" forecast.  ::-)

y lee g

« Reply #34 on: 19 May, 2008, 04:09:56 pm »
Just had an idea, we can use Ballachulish Village Hall. 

I organised the control there for last years Daylight and just called and its available if we want it.  I am going to speak to the wummin tonight about the price but last year it was £50 and  cant imagine it will be much more this time out.  My mother in law can pick up the key through the week and we'll meet her en route to avoid any late night hassle. 

It doesnt have beds but its indoors and has toliets/showers and a kitchen. 

Worth a tenner a head?

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #35 on: 19 May, 2008, 04:48:10 pm »
Just had an idea, we can use Ballachulish Village Hall. 

I organised the control there for last years Daylight and just called and its available if we want it.  I am going to speak to the wummin tonight about the price but last year it was £50 and  cant imagine it will be much more this time out.  My mother in law can pick up the key through the week and we'll meet her en route to avoid any late night hassle. 

It doesnt have beds but its indoors and has toliets/showers and a kitchen. 

Worth a tenner a head?

YES!  :thumbsup:
Brilliant!  ;D

Thank you Mr g.

y lee g

« Reply #36 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:19:18 pm »
OK guys - situation dealt with.  Arrangements have been made to collect the key late Saturday afternoon - we can stock up at the shop in Ballachulish with some stuff for breakfast on the way north and dump it at the hall for our return on the journey south.  We can also leave any extra clothing etc there. 

Same price as last year - £50 all in.  Not the Ritz but I am sure we'll benefit from being indoors for a while. 

G

« Reply #37 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:45:27 pm »
Well done Mr Y L Gee
Spar in Glencoe village for rice, cookie's and some Magner's for the sing song before we bed down for a couple of hours
Hope you all have a party piece ready, never know Mr Saville might drop in

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #38 on: 19 May, 2008, 10:49:27 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Superb sir. Many thanks. Much as I admire my clubmate and chum David, I was not looking forward to another night of cuddling up with him on the picnic benches at the Loch Awe power station.  :-X

Now then, now then.... ahahahah   ::-)

y lee g

« Reply #39 on: 20 May, 2008, 02:01:14 pm »
Cheers.

I have lost track of how many of us there are planning to ride -

3 from SQf (me, Hibee exile and Phil)
2? from Angus.

Any more.

forecast is for an easterly - great fun til about Lochailort!

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #40 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

2? from Angus.
Any more.

3 from Angus: David F, neilmc and me (with my new rainlegs that arrived today)
I doubt if there will be more from up here - several of my clubmates are opting for a dawdle round the Deelechtable 200 instead. The big jessies.  ::-) :P

« Reply #41 on: 20 May, 2008, 05:14:21 pm »
Having made contact with the hotel at Acharacle
They would be only to happy to make up some tea and sandwich's for us[no.6 cyclist's ]
I would need to call her back with eta and if you guy's are in need of some food before dark.
Its the one that was used on the Daylight last year
Then maybe some of you prefer burger and chip's across the road ,salt and sauce/vinegar

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #42 on: 20 May, 2008, 05:28:44 pm »
Noodley, RJMcB, David F and I sheltered in the hotel at Acharacle on our 600 last year, watching the rain stottin' off the tables outside .  ::-) :'(

We were there at 6.30 pm last time, but that was off a 6am start from here, so ETA say between 7 and 8, on the assumption (fingers crossed) that we are riding at a gentlemanly pace. I think a seat in the bar, maybe even a small glass of Magners, would be The Very Ticket.

The Angus peloton will also have to stop for a control, coke and crisps at Lochailort, here

since we are doing the DIY Gie's A Light version, not McNasty's Twilight.

Perhaps we could have pieces at the hotel, then a burger over the road before we set off.

« Reply #43 on: 20 May, 2008, 05:44:18 pm »
I shall inform the hotel of our detail's of when we should arrive there I guess between six and seven pm just in time for the celidh and beverage to ease our weary leg,s

« Reply #44 on: 20 May, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »
Tea's will be served on arrival at hotel prior to Eurovision viewing
On you go Dustin

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #45 on: 20 May, 2008, 06:05:33 pm »
I shall inform the hotel of our detail's of when we should arrive there I guess between six and seven pm just in time for the celidh and beverage to ease our weary leg,s
???
We were there at 6.30 pm last time, but that was off a 6am start from here, so ETA say between 7 and 8, on the assumption (fingers crossed) that we are riding at a gentlemanly pace
Will you be keeping the pot warm for me then?  :-[

And you can stay and watch Dustin if you want to. I'd rather be getting a soaking on the cold dark desolate road round Moidart.  ;D

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #46 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:47:10 pm »
Gentlemen,
Can we confirm a rendezvous at Mother McDermott's Parlour for breakfast on Saturday, about 10 of the am?

The Angus peloton will be joining the Twilight route at the A822/A826 junction a couple of miles north of Amulree, so we me meet before Aberfeldy.

neilmc: we are planning a départ from mine about 6.45 to get away from the traditional start for 7. Caffeine supplements chez Eck available from 6.30.

y lee g

« Reply #47 on: 22 May, 2008, 03:37:10 pm »
Hibee.  Just called your mobile but no connection,.

If we are looking to get to Aberfeldy for 10am we'll have to leave before 6am,  105 in 4 hours aint doable for me when I have got 500k more to do!

I'm happy to leave a tad earlier.  Give me a buzz. 

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #48 on: 22 May, 2008, 06:49:48 pm »
I'm happy to leave a tad earlier.  Give me a buzz. 

Er, we're happy to leave a tad later. 10.30 for the black pudding rolls?  :thumbsup:

y lee g

« Reply #49 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:42:43 pm »
Aye 10.30am at Aberfeldy sounds perfect Eck.