Author Topic: Am a good lad me!  (Read 3309 times)

Am a good lad me!
« on: 08 May, 2008, 08:10:22 am »

Cyclist weaving between two lanes of slow traffic. I move aside to let him through. Then create a space to let him in to left hand lane. I held the traffic back so he had space while negotiating roundabout.

Like ah say, am a good lad me!

Re: Am a good lad me!
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:14:02 am »

Think that counts as a positive post?

;)

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:26:54 am »
On the assumption that you didn't let him in for reasons to do with the Class Struggle, it is promising.  :P

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:42:15 am »
On the assumption that you didn't let him in for reasons to do with the Class Struggle, it is promising.  :P

Every bike ride is a class struggle! Didn't you know that, you apologist capitalist running dog?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:03:28 am »
We ARE traffic!

*waves bike in air*

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:26:27 am »
Ah...I think starkj73 was in a car.  If he had been on a bike, it would have been his duty to chase the bugger down then pass him as casually as possible, trying to mutter "awright?" without sounding at all out of breath.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:27:45 am »

Think that counts as a positive post?

;)

It's a start.  Just remember the good feeling it gave you for the future...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2008, 10:11:21 am »
Ah...I think starkj73 was in a car.  If he had been on a bike, it would have been his duty to chase the bugger down then pass him as casually as possible, trying to mutter "awright?" without sounding at all out of breath.

Funny you should say that. Last night while cycling I was passed by someone who couldn't be bothered to mutter "awright". I could see as he turned a corner he was so knackered with the effort of passing me on a climb he had to freewheel. I did my best to chase him, for a couple of miles I kept him in my sights but had to gave up. Good training though.

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2008, 10:17:27 am »
Even when I'm on a bike I routinely make space for cyclists in front of me, usually by taking the super primary and blocking traffic behnd me for a second, when I can see that they are going to have to pull out into the traffic stream. It's just good manners.
In London traffic at worst you'll delay some poor bugger for a few seconds.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2008, 06:15:19 pm »
Even when I'm on a bike I routinely make space for cyclists in front of me, usually by taking the super primary and blocking traffic behnd me for a second, when I can see that they are going to have to pull out into the traffic stream. It's just good manners.
In London traffic at worst you'll delay some poor bugger for a few seconds.
On the rare occasions when I catch up another cyclist, and he needs to pull out, then I too sit in super-primary, but call the word 'clear' to the other cyclist.  Otherwise, he'll look round and see me, and think that I'm about to overtake - whereas I'm just holding on his wheel for a bit of a slipstream.   Also, when I'm in super-primary, the other cyclist's view backwards (of overtaking cars) is blocked by my not inconsiderable bulk.

Different if I'm on a recumbent though.  Then he can see over me, and I'm not going to sit behind anyone.  Varroooom - eat my tail-light.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:12:32 pm »
On the rare occasions when I catch up another cyclist, and he needs to pull out, then I too sit in super-primary, but call the word 'clear' to the other cyclist.  Otherwise, he'll look round and see me, and think that I'm about to overtake - whereas I'm just holding on his wheel for a bit of a slipstream.

If it were me infront I wouldn't have a clue what you meant by "clear" and so I'd just ignore it. It's also doubtful I'd be able to hear you with headphones on. You could have said "Keep clear" or "It's not clear" and I could have misheard (even without headphones).

If you were following and I wanted to pull out I'd expect I'd throw a hand slightly out to indicate my intentions, look back to make sure you've seen it and you're not romping up the outside, and then go.

If you were following and were sitting further out in the road blocking my view behind I'd probably either push hearder to drop you, or ease off slightly in the hope you'd go past me. If you didn't then I'd put a sprint in. I prefer to see what is coming up behind me.

I'd have also hoped I'd seen you coming up behind me on the last few checks over my shoulder and I'd be able to have a guess at whether you were likely to overtake or just wanted to sit on my wheel.

I think it's a sign that the RHS bar end plug has fallen out and so I might have to replace it with a bar-end mirror (these are drop-handlebars).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2008, 11:32:52 pm »
We ARE traffic!

*waves bike in air*

I heard that a bicycle ceases to become a vehicle when it is above a persons head? Or is that just an urban myth?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:29:55 am »
We ARE traffic!

*waves bike in air*

I heard that a bicycle ceases to become a vehicle when it is above a persons head? Or is that just an urban myth?
I think you're confusing cycling and pool.  Easy mistake to make.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.