Author Topic: The Apprentice (Sorry!)  (Read 5297 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
The Apprentice (Sorry!)
« on: 08 May, 2008, 01:31:59 pm »
Sorry for starting a thread on trash TV... but I find this to be compulsive viewing.  The sheer awfulness of the contestants makes it 'must see' TV.

Last night's was a classic.  The teams were sent to Marrakesh and had to buy a list of specific items for as little money as possible.  On of the items was 1.5kg of kosher chicken.

One team had the right idea - they did some research and found out that there was a Jewish section of the market, where they then went and bought their chicken.  The other team, however, contained all the arseholes of the series.  They went rushing off to the market without any research and ended up buying halal chicken. 

An easy mistake to make you might think - except one of the guys on that team had put down on his application to the show that he was a 'good Jewish boy'... and he was the one who got it wrong.

Queue much squirming in the boardroom, when the 'good Jewish boy' had to explain that he didn't know what 'kosher' is...  ;D

This series is turning into classic 'car crash' TV and, as such, is compulsive viewing.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: The Apprentice (Sorry!)
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:35:50 pm »
That's as maybe, but it was a beautiful evening last night and I have better things to do with my life, I'm afraid  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:37:29 pm »
I agree that once it's on, it's so awful I can't turn it off.  :-[ To much tutting from Woolly.

But, last night, I went and did a lap of the park. Then we watched Indiana Jones.  ::-)

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:39:28 pm »
I've only caught a couple of episodes so far this series, but I have to agree that the utter ineptness of the "contestants" is compulsive viewing!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:40:32 pm »
They're a pretty lame crop this year.  Raef (where did he get that name from) has to be the front runner, and he's unintentionally funny with his lounge-lizard persona and management BS.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:41:53 pm »
It makes me squirm to watch it.

I'd stumbled home slightly worse for wear after a dinner involving too much wine, and remember watching the last minutes of it in a slightly bemused state.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:42:26 pm »
They are absolutely remarkable this year - the stupidity and ignorance are streets ahead of any of the previous series.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:49:07 pm »
It has been fun! I spend the boardroom bit wondering which people Siralan is keeping because they increase his fun factor as it gets dirtier.

Claire is my current pick for that.
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2008, 02:01:03 pm »
I agree that once it's on, it's so awful I can't turn it off.  :-[ To much tutting from Woolly.

But, last night, I went and did a lap of the park. Then we watched Indiana Jones.  ::-)
come on !! is there is a choice there at all .... Indy or Sir crap tv ? I think not !
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Si

« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2008, 02:47:11 pm »
The other team, however, contained all the arseholes of the series.

Glad I'm not the only one to think so!

But why oh why didn't dump the 'good Jewish boy' bloke as well..there is a guy that really does need to get over himself.

Regulator

« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:03:33 pm »

come on !! is there is a choice there at all .... Indy or Sir crap tv ? I think not !

Crap TV - there's only so many times you can watch Indiana Jones.  Still, I shall be going to see the new film when its out.  Mum and I shall sit there with our popcorn and drool in unison...

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:06:39 pm »
I was aiming to watch The Apprentice last night but I forgot to switch over and ended up watching Real vs Barca instead.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rogerzilla

« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:17:09 pm »
The other team, however, contained all the arseholes of the series.

Glad I'm not the only one to think so!

But why oh why didn't dump the 'good Jewish boy' bloke as well..there is a guy that really does need to get over himself.

If he's not gay too, I'm King Of The Mountains.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:39:22 am »
I didn't see the programme, but enjoyed Nancy Banks-Smith's wonderful review in the Guardian*, revelling in the horror evoked by her description of the scene at the market.

Imagine not even trying to find out what 'Kosher' means - when buying for Alan Sugar!  Good grief, these morons should have their licences to oxygen withdrawn immediately...

* Nancy, being Nancy, also relates her experience of trying to get a kosher sausage into Japan at the time of the Olympics...
Getting there...

Fi

« Reply #14 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »
Nancy was supposed to have retired a few years ago, but Mr Fi and I were very relieved when we discovered she was doing a column a week or so.  She's the best thing about telly.

Regulator

« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:25:57 am »
Michael ("the nice Jewish boy") managed to survive yet another session in the board room...  :o, with Raef getting the chop.  I'd have kept Raef, just for the comedy value.

I'm beginning to wonder who Michael is sleeping/slept with amongst the production team!?!?   It can be the only reason he's still there.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:37:52 am »
I'm outraged! Raef was the only good one of them, and how on earth did Michael not get fired again?

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2008, 10:49:57 am »
Jewish conspiracy, innit?  Siralan is proud of his roots.

Seriously, the remaining boys are all very poor; my money's on Kerry-Katona-alike Claire or could-burst-into-tears-at-any-moment Lucinda.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 22 May, 2008, 11:25:00 am »
But isn't that the 'nice Jewish boy' who didn't know what 'kosher' meant?
Getting there...

Si

« Reply #19 on: 22 May, 2008, 11:27:26 am »
I think that the bloke who messed up the spiel yesterday (somebody McQueen) has a good chance.  He's kept his head down well and appears to talk sense (or what passes for it on the Apprentice) most of the time.  And to be fair, messing up the presentation was as much the other two's fault for changing it up to the last moment.

I was thinking that I'd like to see mad Luce win as she's appeared to be the nicest of what's left (now Riaf is out) but in this episode and the trail for the next she appears to be getting a little aggressive....possibly a game plan of keeping her head down in the earlier ones and now ready to do some back stabbing after lolling the others into a false sense of security?  Dunno, have to wait and see.

I think that Riaf might find himself, Ben Fogle-stylee, with a number of offers of TV presenting.  Don't think that we've seen the last of him yet.

« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:54:27 pm »
Raef was in Browns the other night when I was having cocktails.

Luckily I had not drank so many cocktails that I made the mistake of thinking I knew him, just because I recognised him...

Si

« Reply #21 on: 28 May, 2008, 01:35:08 pm »
Yes! Teflon Mikey has gone at last!  Although I thought the Mona Lisa woman was going to go but SirAl finally saw sense.

The interview bit next week - best part as they all get to squirm without being able to blame the other team members.

£3k for a go in a zonda?  WTF?  OK, it's their money to spend how they see fit and I can understand a car enthusiast paying £60 for a drive in a Ferari just to see what it's like.  But £3k for a day in some other car that is required to follow the laws of the road just the same as any other car....what are you going to do in it once you've been to your mates' houses to show off...I mean you can't give them a lift anywhere.  I spose that you could just drive up and down the high st. having a pose if you are into impressing 15yo kids.  You could take it down to the coast for a day (as suggested) but then any time you spend out of the car is wasted money, plus you can't leave it anywhere 'cos of the £5000+ excess worries.  Sorry, sounding like my dad now.

rogerzilla

« Reply #22 on: 12 June, 2008, 06:49:08 am »
Lee?  A good choice? Discuss.

I thought he was very good in the tasks - obviously his command of the English language is atrocious and he's been shown to be a liar, but I think he was the best of a (mediocre) bunch.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #23 on: 12 June, 2008, 07:03:53 am »

obviously his command of the English language is atrocious and he's been shown to be a liar, but I think he was the best of a (mediocre) bunch.

Should fit in well with Sir Alan then  ;)

Regulator

« Reply #24 on: 12 June, 2008, 07:04:49 am »
Nope - he won't last five minutes with Sir Alan.  Claire should've won - I wonder whether Karen Brady will give her a  job, as she said she would last week.

Green Party Councillor