Author Topic: Safety Razors.  (Read 36513 times)

Re: Safety Razors.
« Reply #50 on: 12 November, 2009, 07:01:55 pm »
For 1gear here is a video on shaving with a safety razor.

Thanks for that. Watched it last night, aswell as some other ones that are on youtube 8)
Think its a case of practising now to get the technique right 8)
Cheers for the advice :thumbsup: 8)

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #51 on: 12 November, 2009, 07:58:58 pm »
Inspired by this thread I ordered a Merkur razor from one of Amazon's resellers.  As usual I asked for it to be delivered to my office.

I've just had an email confirming that my order is in the post,  from "The Naked Man Shop"!!......  I do hope the packaging is discreet....

That reminds me of a friend who ordered a "marital aid" for his wife as a surprise & had it delivered to work!

« Reply #52 on: 12 November, 2009, 09:52:37 pm »
Tonight having a top up shave (the curse of having a strong beard you have to shave twice a day to look presentable) before going to prize giving at my sons school I gave myself a really nasty cut right on my adams apple. It bled for bloody ages and I couldn't find the alum stick. Its months since I have done that. Why does it always happen when you have to go out, when you are going to be at home all day you never nick yourself.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #53 on: 12 November, 2009, 11:24:11 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #54 on: 12 November, 2009, 11:36:35 pm »
I think you need to be really obsessed to use one of those. I'll stick with my clippers once a week for the goatee I think.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #55 on: 13 November, 2009, 01:01:51 am »
Makes a note. clippers for goatse.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #56 on: 13 November, 2009, 09:41:18 am »
Makes a note. clippers for goatse.

I see what you did there with your naughty S Jaded  :)

« Reply #57 on: 18 November, 2009, 03:38:19 pm »
Disposal of used blades? Would putting them in a sharps bin be fine? Or should there only be needles in there?
Anyone know?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #58 on: 18 November, 2009, 03:47:11 pm »
Disposal of used blades? Would putting them in a sharps bin be fine? Or should there only be needles in there?
Anyone know?

Shaps bin is fine.  They're used in hospitals for disposal of blades.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #59 on: 18 November, 2009, 03:47:49 pm »
Yup.  We regularly dispose of blades in sharps.
Getting there...

« Reply #60 on: 18 November, 2009, 04:08:14 pm »

Kool, i only thought about it today. I shoved my used one back in the plastic case wth some tape over the waxy paper so i knew which was which, but ill just shove it in the sharps bin now.
Thought i better check first though.

Cheers 8)

iakobski

« Reply #61 on: 18 November, 2009, 06:03:44 pm »
If you turn the plastic holder over there's a slot like the one on the front but a bit smaller. Push the used blade in there, without paper, and it will be secure and safe.

« Reply #62 on: 18 November, 2009, 06:06:45 pm »
I shove mine in the plastic case, not in the paper.  I hadn't given much thought to long term disposal as I'm still on my first box of 10.

I've invested in a nice Simpson's brush too now - pricey but very nice.  

I've also cleared out the Carmarthen branch of TK Maxx of fancy-pants shaving cream, which is very cheap there.  I have a tub of Taylors of Bond Street and a tub of Peckersniffs, and some Peckersniff's aftershave balm.  All lovely stuff.

Considering this was supposed to be saving money, it's getting a bit expensive!  :P

« Reply #63 on: 18 November, 2009, 06:16:11 pm »
I shove mine in the plastic case, not in the paper.  I hadn't given much thought to long term disposal as I'm still on my first box of 10.

I've invested in a nice Simpson's brush too now - pricey but very nice.  

I've also cleared out the Carmarthen branch of TK Maxx of fancy-pants shaving cream, which is very cheap there.  I have a tub of Taylors of Bond Street and a tub of Peckersniffs, and some Peckersniff's aftershave balm.  All lovely stuff.

Considering this was supposed to be saving money, it's getting a bit expensive!  :P

I still need to check out TK Maxx. I bet they dont have any in though, the one by me really is crap :-\
Ive shoved it in the sharps box, pretty handy because it is a long term disposal. I didnt want to just throw it away and it just be loose in the bin or anything.

Im upgrading to a Merkur HD next, going to try a different soap, or maybe a cream, then get a nice brush i think 8)

John Henry

« Reply #64 on: 18 November, 2009, 06:40:46 pm »

I've bought

(a) a cheap plastic safety razor as proof of concept
(b) a nice Merkur one when I realised I liked it

and I'm on the verge of buying

(c) an adjustable Merkur to deal with the fact that I've got stubble like a wire brush.

So I'll have saved three times as much as if I'd stuck with disposables.  ;D

JH

« Reply #65 on: 18 November, 2009, 07:26:13 pm »

I've bought

(a) a cheap plastic safety razor as proof of concept
(b) a nice Merkur one when I realised I liked it

and I'm on the verge of buying

(c) an adjustable Merkur to deal with the fact that I've got stubble like a wire brush.

So I'll have saved three times as much as if I'd stuck with disposables.  ;D

JH

Im going about it the same way as you, except i had an electric before.
The Merkur should be on its way when i get paid, with an Alum block and a few different blades. Although im doing well with the blades that came with my cheapo Boots own brand razor. So might try some different ones that i will be able to buy in bulk, instead of paying £3.something for 10. Not sure what blades they are, the packaging looked like some Persona ones i saw.

How often do you change blades? I changed mine for my shave today, and ive had about 5/6shaves out of it. My mum seems to think they should last longer, but it just wasnt cutting right, didnt have the same feel that it did have.

John Henry

« Reply #66 on: 18 November, 2009, 07:41:15 pm »
How often do you change blades? I changed mine for my shave today, and ive had about 5/6shaves out of it. My mum seems to think they should last longer, but it just wasnt cutting right, didnt have the same feel that it did have.

I change blades about twice a week, so say four/five shaves from each. More than that and the cut is noticeably worse - I have to start applying a lot of pressure and doing multiple passes to get a close shave, which isn't really right.

JH

« Reply #67 on: 18 November, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »

I change blades about twice a week, so say four/five shaves from each. More than that and the cut is noticeably worse - I have to start applying a lot of pressure and doing multiple passes to get a close shave, which isn't really right.

JH
Exactly what i thought, my shaves weren't so close, put a new blade in today and got a really smooth face, just my neck that wasn't as good. I didnt get any nicks today either, which i had been getting with the other blade.
When i first got the shaver, she said to me, "now be careful, its very sharp"  ???
My dads advice was you do one pass, and its only up.
Not paid much attention to the advice so far and have been doing fine.

My parents only use electric shavers by the way, my dad did use a safety razor, but used to come out with tissue all over him, so  went to an electric and thats it.
I never get why they try to give me advice, when they dont have a clue themself ???

John Henry

« Reply #68 on: 18 November, 2009, 09:30:09 pm »

My dads advice was you do one pass, and its only up.
Not paid much attention to the advice so far and have been doing fine.

Yes, I do one pass against the 'grain' and that's fine unless the hair is a bit long (eg no shave for a day or two - in which case I shave with the grain first pass, then re-lather and shave against the grain second pass).

I never get why they try to give me advice, when they dont have a clue themself ???

If only this just applied to shaving...  ;)

JH

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #69 on: 18 November, 2009, 10:00:55 pm »
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #70 on: 18 November, 2009, 11:12:10 pm »

:o :o :o

I'm not shaving my nuts with that !!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #71 on: 18 November, 2009, 11:17:46 pm »
I once shaved my face with a SAK without a mirror.  Won't be hurrying to do it again.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #72 on: 19 November, 2009, 03:00:37 am »

Kool, i only thought about it today. I shoved my used one back in the plastic case wth some tape over the waxy paper so i knew which was which, but ill just shove it in the sharps bin now.
Thought i better check first though.

Cheers 8)
Sharps bin???!!!
Do I take it you lot all have special sharps bins at home?
Or do you all work in hospitals and shave at work?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #73 on: 19 November, 2009, 10:18:20 am »
I have a shedload of sharps bins at work.  I have none at home.  I shave at home.
Getting there...

« Reply #74 on: 19 November, 2009, 11:29:45 am »
Part of my mums medication means we have a few sharps bins at home. They get emptied once a month i think, and it never gets full, so theres room for a few razor blades in there