Author Topic: Your super powerful rear lights  (Read 33685 times)

Re: Your super powerful rear lights
« Reply #25 on: 27 October, 2009, 07:29:42 pm »
The BLT looks good if you can find a way of putting it on your bike. I like the idea of using AA batteries instead of AAAs. But isn't 1 watt overkill? With half a watt, the batteries would last much longer and you'd still have a very bright light.
I think my Smart half watt is plenty bright enough.
Tell me why I'm wrong or right.

« Reply #26 on: 27 October, 2009, 07:45:54 pm »
Dinotte 400l rear. 

The only thing brighter is the frankly unusable 600l version.

+1

I discussed the Redeye at the Cycle Show and they are bringing one out shortly that is self contained, probably "button batteries to keep the size down.

« Reply #27 on: 27 October, 2009, 08:04:50 pm »
British Standard or Equivalent

Busch and Muller, Seculite Plus   ;)

I have one of these on my audax bike.  Mounts on the mudguard, nice and neat, good reflector.  Not very very bright but good for the "fit and forget" factor
What I'd really like is summat like this but battery powered. And a battery light which comes with a good rack adaptor, for racks with no light fittings at all. And one which fit easily & securely, pointing in the right direction, to a seatstay. And all racks to come with proper mountings for every imaginable light. And every seatpack, rack pack, & saddlebag to come with a loop or other fitting for a light, & lights-a-plenty to be made which fit perfectly onto it.

Let's put all the makers of bike lights, racks, & bags into a brightly lit room with a hard floor & no heating (or air conditioning if it's hot outside) food, water, toilets or seats, & tell them they're only allowed out when they've agreed on a single decent set of light mountings, to be incorporated into all their products.

Can we have a tickbox for:
seat-stay mountable, angled down/horizontal ?    :)

And for my use, I'd like something that will go on a rear rack stay (i.e. where a bracket mounts pointing downwards, and typically slides down ... ) without major fettling.
Seconded
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #28 on: 27 October, 2009, 08:54:16 pm »
Let's put all the makers of bike lights, racks, & bags into a brightly lit room with a hard floor & no heating (or air conditioning if it's hot outside) food, water, toilets or seats, & tell them they're only allowed out when they've agreed on a single decent set of light mountings, to be incorporated into all their products.

They'd sell fewer brackets which, I'm guessing, they make a considerable amount of money on.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Lights_-_Spares/

£4.99 for a Cateye H34 Flex Tight Light Bracket! Then look at the Lupine ones!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ed_o_brain

« Reply #29 on: 27 October, 2009, 08:58:31 pm »
Extra brackets and rack mounting brackets are available for the smart 1/2 watt rear LED

« Reply #30 on: 27 October, 2009, 09:34:13 pm »

They'd sell fewer brackets which, I'm guessing, they make a considerable amount of money on.

Cycle | Cycling | Bike Light Spares At Wiggle

£4.99 for a Cateye H34 Flex Tight Light Bracket! Then look at the Lupine ones!
Sad but true. Still, it's an enjoyable fantasy, isn't it?

BTW, about those Wiggle prices -
Cateye Small Parts  | Head Lights | EL135
But still expensive for what they are. :(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #31 on: 27 October, 2009, 10:06:04 pm »
I have several Cateye 600s and 610s. Rate them very highly. Agree that anything more powerful is not needed. On the last FNRttC I did, I had to avoid getting stuck behind certain people because their rear lights were just too bright.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ed_o_brain

« Reply #32 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:03:42 pm »
I have several Cateye 600s and 610s. Rate them very highly. Agree that anything more powerful is not needed. On the last FNRttC I did, I had to avoid getting stuck behind certain people because their rear lights were just too bright.

d.

Depends on the conditions you are cycling?
Blasting up and down 5 miles of DC in all weathers during my commute has me wanting for lights that are rather bright and difficult to miss.

Taking part in CM or FNRttC would have me reaching for more placid lighting.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 28 October, 2009, 04:33:57 am »
What could be nice, I suppose, would be a 2-setting rear light; normal and fog. Same at the front; normal and "high beam".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #34 on: 28 October, 2009, 09:05:04 am »

And for my use, I'd like something that will go on a rear rack stay (i.e. where a bracket mounts pointing downwards, and typically slides down ... ) without major fettling.

Get a cateye light that you fancy and then order the brackets from wiggle

Mrs Vorsprung has a rack mounted TL1100 and I have a seat stay mounted one

It's probably a little expensive but it works

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 28 October, 2009, 09:19:51 am »

Get a cateye light that you fancy and then order the brackets from wiggle

Mrs Vorsprung has a rack mounted TL1100 and I have a seat stay mounted one

It's probably a little expensive but it works

I already own most of Cateye's brackets - I'm surprised you can mount a TL1100 as I described. But then I've never had one [cheapskate], and I only see them attached under the saddle, so I'd be happy to be proved wrong!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #36 on: 28 October, 2009, 09:36:34 am »
I also have a rack mounted TLD1000. The same bracket also fits the LD600. I have a tourtec rack that came with an aluminium bracket that fits well with the bracket supplied by cateye. The one like this -

There is also this bracket that will fit a rack without an existing right angle on it.

Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #37 on: 28 October, 2009, 10:39:26 pm »
Available from under £3 plus P&P, or £3.99 post free. But some naughty people in Nottingham want £4.99 + £5 P&P.

« Reply #38 on: 28 October, 2009, 10:52:21 pm »
There is also this bracket that will fit a rack without an existing right angle on it

That's the one I use on the commuter.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #39 on: 29 October, 2009, 10:01:33 am »
Depends on the conditions you are cycling?
Blasting up and down 5 miles of DC in all weathers during my commute has me wanting for lights that are rather bright and difficult to miss.

Possibly. But on the other hand, drivers are very good at spotting cyclists with no lights at all, so I suspect the visibility problem is somewhat overstated. If conditions are so bad that the driver of the car behind can't see your EL610 until he ploughs into the back of you, then he was driving way too fast for the conditions. After all, as has been said elsewhere on the forum many times, drivers have a responsibility not to hit objects in the road even if they're unlit.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #40 on: 29 October, 2009, 10:08:39 am »
I think we need a Gallery thread for 'innovative lamp brackets'.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: 29 October, 2009, 10:22:42 am »
Like these?

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #42 on: 29 October, 2009, 10:23:44 am »
yes, exactly ! :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #43 on: 29 October, 2009, 11:09:28 am »
BLT + trice = the kind of too-bright problem.  But I've always grumbled about too-bright lights; there's an archive on urbancyclist-UK of me bitching about the TLD-600s as being ridiculous retina-scarring overbastard.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #44 on: 29 October, 2009, 11:16:16 am »
I've only ever had a problem if the lights are not angled slightly downwards (or at least straight back), or are flashing - for night rides on pitch black lanes I would never set a light to flash, save it for urban rides when every little bit helps in terms of visibility.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #45 on: 30 October, 2009, 09:07:45 am »
I'm afraid my BLT mounting solution is far less sophisticated.  I simply used self amalgamating rubber tape to build up the seat stay diameter.  Not pretty but does a good job of coping with the vibration.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #46 on: 30 October, 2009, 06:00:54 pm »
Now then chaps and chapesses :hand: for those uneducated in the wherewithalls of the details of said lights, can you post a piccie of your light with your post, (edit your post) so those without a copy of BICYCLE LIGHTING MONTHLY, will know wat these 'ere lights look like. :thumbsup: thank you

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #47 on: 30 October, 2009, 06:52:30 pm »
Now then chaps and chapesses :hand: for those uneducated in the wherewithalls of the details of said lights, can you post a piccie of your light with your post, (edit your post) so those without a copy of BICYCLE LIGHTING MONTHLY, will know wat these 'ere lights look like. :thumbsup: thank you

Very droll  :thumbsup:

« Reply #48 on: 23 November, 2009, 11:01:36 am »
Mike/Wendy, is there any chance that you can drag all the various comments up into your intial posting so we can preserve it as a "sticky" of some description?

I'd like to add the:
   Cateye SL110 Loop Rear Light Only £7.99

Cateye SL110 to the list. I saw one in the rain a few days back and it was astonishingly bright. I assumed it was a Dinotte initially, it was throwing a really big halo of red out the back as well as the central bright spot.
downside is the battery type, but as a back up that actually works, this has to be worth having - especially at that price.

seventytwo

« Reply #49 on: 23 November, 2009, 01:16:28 pm »
Smart Lunar 1/2 watt here.