Author Topic: CTC Fill That Hole - I'm Impressed  (Read 9470 times)

Re: CTC Fill That Hole - I'm Impressed
« Reply #25 on: 26 September, 2008, 04:24:31 pm »
My commute goes through Lambeth and Westminster councils and report the holes I think could have someone off using fillthathole.

Westminster fix their holes straight away, Lambeth generally don't bother. Guess which one has the highest council tax...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #26 on: 27 September, 2008, 09:40:44 am »
I'm only 6 miles into my 28+ miles commute around town today and I already counted 35 potholes.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #27 on: 27 September, 2008, 10:28:10 am »
I used it to report a couple of deep potholes a few months ago and they were fixed within a few days.  Unfortunately, since then reported holes remain, getting steadily deeper and wider.  I think our council has decided to ignore the notifications.

Same here - I reported a badly damaged  verge, (then reported it again, it now has some rubble thrown into it - hardly a repair!

« Reply #28 on: 27 September, 2008, 10:32:41 am »
...I reported a badly damaged  verge, (then reported it again, it now has some rubble thrown into it - hardly a repair!
Report it again as fly tipping.  ;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #29 on: 27 September, 2008, 11:43:15 am »
I'm so busy reporting broken glass I don't have time to report pot-holes.  ::-)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #30 on: 27 September, 2008, 12:06:19 pm »
Inspired by this thread, I reported two potholes on my commute, each in a different local authority. Both were fixed within 10 days.

Surrey Heath filled in the pothole, but ignored others nearby, but Rushmore resurfaced the whole road, all 900+ metres of it. Perhaps it was in their plans anyway, but until I'm told otherwise, I'll give full credit to fillthathole.org.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #31 on: 27 January, 2009, 12:06:02 pm »
Two more logged, one new pothole in the middle of the road near home (but easily avoidable).

And a horrible pothole on Grosvenor Road (by the end of Aylesford St) which is a bugger in traffic.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #32 on: 27 January, 2009, 12:08:40 pm »
I got an email from them just this week that a hole I reported had been filled.

Two years after I initially logged it...

« Reply #33 on: 27 January, 2009, 12:09:46 pm »
Do you know if it took that long to fix it? Or just a long time to email you?

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #34 on: 27 January, 2009, 12:10:36 pm »
Do you know if it took that long to fix it? Or just a long time to email you?

It contained a message from the council to the fillthathole people which (I think) included the date of the repair...

« Reply #35 on: 27 January, 2009, 12:18:48 pm »
One of the ones I logged last year has been done by a resurface of the road in question. The history wasn't updated to say it was fixed (although I've done it now).

The other one on Ravenna Road hasn't been fixed yet (logged March 2008).

The two I've just logged are easy to keep an eye on as they're on my commute.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #36 on: 27 January, 2009, 12:25:08 pm »
I was promoting this to the local access forum last night. There was a lot of interest and details were taken.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #37 on: 27 January, 2009, 12:42:35 pm »
The council seem to have done a lot of repairing and resurfacing around Edinburgh in the past year. I've really noticed a difference on some of the housing estates my work takes me to. Now, if they could just sort out the wind...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #38 on: 27 January, 2009, 01:15:57 pm »
The council seem to have done a lot of repairing and resurfacing around Edinburgh in the past year. I've really noticed a difference on some of the housing estates my work takes me to. Now, if they could just sort out the wind...

The council won't be able to do much for that, it's down to your diet.  ;D

« Reply #39 on: 27 January, 2009, 06:08:39 pm »
I wasn't, I told them about a road that is like a patch work quilt, even filled out a form on line to the council......that was in May last year still not done ::-)

« Reply #40 on: 27 January, 2009, 07:44:17 pm »
Is it better to use the CTC version or the local council one?
One of my local roads has a couple of holes plus a partly collapsed manhole (The manhole is at it's normal height but the surround has collapsed)

I hit it this morning swerving round an errant moton >:(

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #41 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:17:06 pm »
I think part of the thinking behind the CTC site, is that there is a record of the hole, independent of the council.  If you had an accident involving a pothole, and you could then point to the CTC sites data, then the council could potentially be found negligent in not repairing it, and hence liable.

Obviously it would be no good saying; "Look I reported this yesterday and it hasn't been dealt with yet", but so long as the council has had a reasonable time to deal with it, the there could be a case to answer.  I would also guess how fast they should rectify a problem may also depend on the severity of the hole.

IANAL, YMMV, yada yada...
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #42 on: 28 January, 2009, 09:56:26 am »
I think part of the thinking behind the CTC site, is that there is a record of the hole, independent of the council.  If you had an accident involving a pothole, and you could then point to the CTC sites data, then the council could potentially be found negligent in not repairing it, and hence liable.

Obviously it would be no good saying; "Look I reported this yesterday and it hasn't been dealt with yet", but so long as the council has had a reasonable time to deal with it, the there could be a case to answer.  I would also guess how fast they should rectify a problem may also depend on the severity of the hole.

IANAL, YMMV, yada yada...

+1

Independent public record is everything.  Just because one council is slack is no reason not to use the CTC site.  It's a good reason to write a letter to the council (and perhaps local newspaper) and ask them why they haven't repaired the road yet and haven't even acknowledged the reported road fault.  It wouldn't do any harm either to mention how the public record of their failure to repair the road could help those sueing the council prove council negligence and win damages.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #43 on: 28 January, 2009, 10:17:57 am »
And a horrible pothole on Grosvenor Road (by the end of Aylesford St) which is a bugger in traffic.

Blimey. It had been filled in this morning, albeit in a half arsed manner that won't last more than 6 months, but at least the gaping hole is gone.

Logged at midday. Reported at 6.50pm that evening. Fixed by 9.30am the next day.

Well done Westminster Council.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #44 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:50:30 pm »
What if the authority tell porkies?

There's a report on my commute (not from me) about a split down the middle of the road, which is really hazardous, as there's normally standing (or very slow) traffic on that seciont, and so I overtake them.  If I am to be clear of these nasty ruts, I have to be right over the other side of the road.

Good that it's been reported.  And maybe I should have done before.

But the report is showing it as 'Fixed'.  Which just isn't true.  Can we alert Fillthathole to untruths and fibs?
Getting there...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #45 on: 01 March, 2010, 06:13:10 pm »
I'm up to fifteen current reports now, none of them have been done yet. 

I re-reported one because a few random spodges of Tarmac appeared to disguise the lunar landscape and actually make it more hazardous.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #46 on: 01 March, 2010, 07:15:24 pm »
Oh, I'm glad this has been bumped. It reminds me there's a sunken drain outside the Festival Theatre deep enough to stand a goat in.

« Reply #47 on: 01 March, 2010, 08:03:45 pm »
Ditto Kirst.  I have just reported a hole ( well holes to be honest ) and on doing so found it was first reported in May of 2007 !!

« Reply #48 on: 01 March, 2010, 08:12:47 pm »
I reported 4 holes of differing depth and nastiness on my commute late on a Friday night- Tuesday morning they had all been done and dusted - pretty impressed even though 2 weeks later they all needed filling again.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #49 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:22:36 pm »
There are so many holes after the winter that temporary patching is the method of choice. I have seen one hole repaired twice. Once it has been repaired it needs to be reported again when the repair fails.

there is no point  spending more money trying to repair holes properly when it is winter. Patch and then repair in the summer (in the next financial year).
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes