Author Topic: Poor Student  (Read 65464 times)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: Poor Student
« Reply #75 on: 04 January, 2010, 09:08:11 am »
I seem to have reached the fretfully-checking-the-forecast stage already.  Even thought semi-seriously about getting a couple of these, but I can't imagine I'll be back in time with those on the tourer.  So now hoping it warms up a bit!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #76 on: 04 January, 2010, 09:38:18 am »
Never trust a 6 day forecast!
(I might just avoid looking at them for the rest of the week)

Well, yes, normally very good advice :)

But this last 2-3 weeks the weather has been SOOOO stable, that the forecasting tends to be much better several days ahead. I've never known the forecasts be so accurate as the last fortnight-or-so.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #77 on: 04 January, 2010, 11:35:59 am »
I am starting to grumble in frustration at this weather.  The Poor Student was going to be January attempt for RRTY.    It may only be the beginning of the month but I am already fearful of this weather not breaking for something warmer and more unstable (I thought I would never welcome such weather!).

Anyway, if this weekend is too cold, there is always the permanent version for later in the year!
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #78 on: 04 January, 2010, 01:03:01 pm »
Can someone plz build one of these and attach it to their bike for the Poor Student.  I (and around 50 other riders) will then tuck in behind you  ;D

[img height=100 width=130]http://routesandrides.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/snowplough2.jpg[/img]

[img height=100 width=130]http://routesandrides.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/snow-plough.jpg[/img]

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #79 on: 04 January, 2010, 01:07:46 pm »
These two places have now been taken so I'm not accepting any more entries.

Phew! That's a relief.  ;D

I've just re-joined AUK after a year off and for a moment there, I was considering entering this ride...

Ah but it makes a pretty good DIY ... :)

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that, smart-arse. ;)

And I was joking about doing the Willy Warmer. I'm sure that even in my current unfit state I could plod round a 200 inside the time limit, but not before March.

Plus I'm more than usually nervous about ice at the moment, after a couple of recent incidents, so I really don't fancy any ride that has even the slightest prospect of slippery stuff. Need to get my bottle back first.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #80 on: 04 January, 2010, 01:26:11 pm »
I am starting to grumble in frustration at this weather.  The Poor Student was going to be January attempt for RRTY.    It may only be the beginning of the month but I am already fearful of this weather not breaking for something warmer and more unstable (I thought I would never welcome such weather!).

Anyway, if this weekend is too cold, there is always the permanent version for later in the year!

I may be sitting this out myself-my nerve was tested last week when a 4wd nearly totalled me from behind with all four of it's wheels locked on the ice before overtaking me in the same condition and coming to rest inland on a traffic island.  In this weather climbing up the Abdales might actually be easier than decending.

« Reply #81 on: 04 January, 2010, 01:38:08 pm »
Can someone plz build one of these and attach it to their bike for the Poor Student.  I (and around 50 other riders) will then tuck in behind you  ;D

[img height=100 width=130]http://routesandrides.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/snowplough2.jpg[/img]

[img height=100 width=130]http://routesandrides.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/snow-plough.jpg[/img]

Should a plough be in front rather than behind the bike?

I like the idea though.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #82 on: 04 January, 2010, 03:10:45 pm »

Should a plough be in front rather than behind the bike?

Presumably it's for path-clearing rather than making the life of the bike rider them self any easier.

If anyone can source one, we'd do a turn with it on the back of the tandem  ;)

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #83 on: 04 January, 2010, 07:20:19 pm »
Ya Buggers!  >:(

There I was, in all my finest innocence (ignorance) and looking forward to my first 200 of the new year after growing extremely fat over the last month and now all that has been replaced by worry, tension, fretting... should I get thicker tyres, should I wear a helmet, should I even get out of bed?

Damn yer eyes!
Damn yer breeches!
Damn yer duckponds!

I WILL be there on my trusty Pearson with 25mm tyres. And no-one is allowed to laugh at me if I fall off.  :P

« Reply #84 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:52:39 pm »
Don't forget yer gloves!  ;)
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #85 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:05:07 am »
I have NEVER not started an event due to the weather.  So I have started quite a few winter events in very poor conditions, but had an enjoyable ride nonetheless.  However, the way the weather forecast is shaping up, it is starting to look as if this year's Poor Student will be a new first for me......

Which is a shame - I've ridden this event every year since 11/1/04, which might have been the first time it ran; I'm not sure.

JJ

« Reply #86 on: 05 January, 2010, 01:15:19 pm »
Question for DaveB:  is it correct that there are no longer any infos on this?

Question for anyone who knows:  How scary would the A429 be from Malmesbury to Stow via Cirencester?  What about the A44 via Chipping Norton?

I'm figuring that it wouldn't be too hard to slope off onto a main road if the lanes are dicey.

I had a look and there are stations at Swindon, Kemble and Moreton if I lose the will to live.

So I'm feeling upper-beat about this again

« Reply #87 on: 05 January, 2010, 01:23:16 pm »

That is correct. No more infos. They weren't necessary to get the minimum distance past 200km. The route hasn't been changed though.

I don't know what the roads you mention would be like away from Oxford but the A44 is pretty busy as you get to Oxford - lots of fast dual carraigeway.

marcus

« Reply #88 on: 05 January, 2010, 01:26:24 pm »

Question for anyone who knows:  How scary would the A429 be from Malmesbury to Stow via Cirencester?  What about the A44 via Chipping Norton?

I'm figuring that it wouldn't be too hard to slope off onto a main road if the lanes are dicey.

I had a look and there are stations at Swindon, Kemble and Moreton if I lose the will to live.

So I'm feeling upper-beat about this again

Yes, I was looking at a map last night & thinking that it would be possible to do most of the ride on main roads without adding hugely to the distance. Wouldn't be such a pleasant routeof course.

I've already booked train tickets & accommodation for the weekend so obviously don't want to pull out unless I have to.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #89 on: 05 January, 2010, 01:47:20 pm »
I've been thinking a bit about the A44 option.  A quick scan on the Google Maps aerial photographs makes me think it's all single carriageway until after Woodstock (at which point there's an option to turn off and take the A4260 through Kidlington).  It's probably going to be a bit busy, but I don't think motorway-like (but local knowledge would be appreciated!).

It's clearly not the scenic route, but since the thought of ice after dark leaves me a tad nervous, I'll be giving it some serious thought on the day.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

JJ

« Reply #90 on: 05 January, 2010, 01:55:09 pm »
I'm thinking start on the standard route, and if those lanes are bad, step off onto the A420 somewhere.
From Swindon across to Malmesbury probably the standard lanes, but there's a B road option.

From Ciren, almost for sure, the Stow road, and from Chipping C also.  If the A44 is too scary, I can cut over to the Kidlington  road, I guess.

Take extra rear lights and the tabard.

Chris S

« Reply #91 on: 05 January, 2010, 02:36:35 pm »
There is currently a Red Warning from the Met-Office for that part of the world. If that comes off as forecast, I'd be surprised if any cycling were possible TBH.

One of the things that struck me at the weekend, when we were hit by heavy snow in the second half of a 200 was that the fight for available real estate on the road gets even harder than usual when the road is effectively restricted to four slushy grooves through snow that's too deep to cycle in. Passing cars have to traverse the ridges of snow to overtake you, and it all gets (a) messy, and (b) even more of a race when there's oncoming traffic.

I couldn't find much that was "fun" about riding in such conditions. Concern for my fellow riders (one of whom fell more than once), concern that we shouldn't have been there, and concern as to what might happen next, all conspired to make it a very stressful few hours. Having said all that - I also had a huge sense of achievement when I got home  ::-).

Good Luck if you choose to ride this coming weekend.

simonp

« Reply #92 on: 05 January, 2010, 02:43:37 pm »
I've similar thoughts, Chris.  Just small amounts of riding in such conditions is stressful.  And yes they abuse you for being on the road rather than the frozen pavement.

« Reply #93 on: 05 January, 2010, 02:46:09 pm »
me too.

« Reply #94 on: 05 January, 2010, 02:50:41 pm »
It would be a bit perverse to head out on a totally frivolous 200km bike ride in conditions where people are being advised to go out for essential journeys only. I think I'll be a DNS unless the weather gets a bit more suitable.

Duncan

PS Last year, of course, I was doing my final ride of my RRtY, so can understand people feeling rather differently if in that kind of position...

LEE

« Reply #95 on: 05 January, 2010, 02:53:46 pm »
Message to DaveB - I'm out.  DNS

It's forecast either snow or heavy snow around there every day (starting now) right through Saturday.  I'm no good in those conditions, I just spend the entire ride worrying about falling off.

Hope I'm wrong and any starters have a nice day, but I reckon I'll go out for a walk and get some winter photos instead.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #96 on: 05 January, 2010, 03:01:13 pm »
I'm thinking start on the standard route, and if those lanes are bad, step off onto the A420 somewhere.
From Swindon across to Malmesbury probably the standard lanes, but there's a B road option.

From Ciren, almost for sure, the Stow road, and from Chipping C also.  If the A44 is too scary, I can cut over to the Kidlington  road, I guess.
Sounds sensible.

On Saturday, the A44 Woodstock-Oxford was fine. Dual section was actually better! Traffic may be heavier later in Jan. [A361 was good too, but that's no help on this event]

(The A40 however, was ghastly.)

I won't be riding, but if the snow has stopped by Friday, a main road ride might be entirely practical. Swindon-Malmes might be tricky.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #97 on: 05 January, 2010, 04:15:08 pm »
There is a lot of snow falling in Oxford right now.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #98 on: 05 January, 2010, 04:53:51 pm »
I've been thinking a bit about the A44 option.  A quick scan on the Google Maps aerial photographs makes me think it's all single carriageway until after Woodstock (at which point there's an option to turn off and take the A4260 through Kidlington).  It's probably going to be a bit busy, but I don't think motorway-like (but local knowledge would be appreciated!).

It's clearly not the scenic route, but since the thought of ice after dark leaves me a tad nervous, I'll be giving it some serious thought on the day.

From what I can tell (using some  tools at my work) it's duel carriageway from the roundabout that is the junction with the A4095 right back to HQ.

I'm going to leave this one as late as possible to decide on I think.

I hate the idea of DNS, given this our twelfth and final instalment for our first RRtY, but I don't like the prospect of a DNFing due to misadventure either. It's true that a 200k bike ride  - even with RRTY on the line - does not count as an essential journey  :-\

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #99 on: 05 January, 2010, 05:30:07 pm »
Using main roads rather defeats the purpose for me as it wouldn't be the Poor Student ride I know and love.

Fingers crossed the weather between now and Saturday is ok. but will be no loss if not.  It's only one ride of many I hope to do this year.