Author Topic: Master Reset for Garmin Vista HCx  (Read 2575 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Master Reset for Garmin Vista HCx
« on: 09 November, 2009, 07:58:42 am »
Something went awry with the route download for the Upper Thames and half way round I was informed there was a database error and the routing function stopped. Luckily I had also programmed a track and I completed the event following that. I guess there is a moral there somewhere.

I normally have all of my maptiles preloaded (about 2gb worth of garmin products on a 4gb card) and download routes as required. Back to base I attempted to reload the maptiles which failed. Performed a Master Reset (Power off then power on holding the Enter Key (joystick control by display) and Page Key (top righthandside). This seems to have done the trick as the maptile load succeeded.

Hours of fun restoring config options.

Top Tip: Set 'Power Off On Loss Of External Power' to 'Yes'.

Leaving the GPS enabled when you unplug from the PC is a great way of forgetting to turn the thing off thereby ensuring the batteries are dead when you arrive at your event.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Master Reset for Garmin Vista HCx
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2009, 06:41:17 pm »
Hours of fun restoring config options.

Isn't it weird that it resets everything - except your welcome message??

Master reset has certainly worked for me on 2 occasions.  The Legend Cx had a very jittery map display at low speeds - couldn't keep a 'straight ahead' view - in fact I think it was like this from new but it took 6 months before I got around to doing the master reset thing - completely cured it, display now quite solid even when stationary.

The HCx developed a weird routing fault a few months back - at first we thought it was just trying to run the route backwards, kept reversing the route but nothing seemed to come right - eventually worked out that it just wasn't switching its attention to the next waypoint as it passed over an existing one.  Tried fiddling the 'off road transition' settings but that didn't fix it, again a master reset did the trick.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll