Author Topic: The petrochemical menace  (Read 837 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
The petrochemical menace
« on: 12 November, 2009, 06:52:46 pm »
This morning I came across two significant diesel spills, firstly, all the way down the hill near our flat - completely unavoidable thanks to the narrow nature of the road. The choice was this: 1) ride right in the door zone for 300m or 2) ride slowly in a diesel slick for 300m  >:(

Then, near Blackfriars, a thick diesel slick round a corner that had spread right accross the lane and was so concentrated that the air reeked of diesel.

When I got to work I reported both to the police, who appeared to take it very seriously - it might have helped that I spoke to an officer who cycled to work and another that was a biker. What luck!

This shouldn't be happening - diesel slicks are completely preventable and totally unnecessary. They endanger the lives of everyone on two wheels. 
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Re: The petrochemical menace
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:38:15 pm »
You've reminded me of slithering down the b-road into Greenock in August, when the road was covered from side to side in slimy diesel, I was convinced I was going to tumble off, and if I'd tried to come to a halt, I probably would have fallen off.  It was a horrible experience.  MSeries probably remembers it too.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: The petrochemical menace
« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:39:59 pm »
www.killspills.org.uk

I stacked my old Kwak at about 30 on diesel and it wasn't nice.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk