Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2524732 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #12375 on: 24 January, 2013, 01:14:49 pm »
Is that weight loss off you? Or the bike?

;D

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #12376 on: 24 January, 2013, 02:23:11 pm »
This would've been in the could've but I couldn't so did and it's here.

Meaning I was stood on the platform waiting for a train with several hundred other people. Time went by, trains were notably absent and the PA system made repeated 'bingly-bongs' presaging no more than the next plaintive 'bingly-bong'.

'Sod this!' I thought. 'I'm going home to get the bike.'

21 mile commute, plus the opportunity to pick up some hardware that a supplier failed to deliver yesterday meant I had my first opportunity to ride CS7. Is it supposed to be surfaced?
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #12377 on: 24 January, 2013, 02:25:34 pm »

21 mile commute, plus the opportunity to pick up some hardware that a supplier failed to deliver yesterday meant I had my first opportunity to ride CS7. Is it supposed to be surfaced?

It's a disgrace at the moment, particularly heading north from Clapham South up to where the A24 meets the A3. Dodge those potholes!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #12378 on: 24 January, 2013, 02:37:19 pm »
Bit of a bad one this morning, at about 0630. In a filter/crosshatched area waiting for oncoming traffic to clear, and one car decides to overtake at very high speed through the space I occupy. I managed to throw myself and bike toleft, landing on my hip, and I hope he heard the shout of 'Banker!'
Missed by about two feet, at somewhere near 80 mph. I was told to sit down and have a cuppa when I got in. Absolutely shocked.

Glad you are still with us,

To clarify oncoming traffic chose to overtake through the space you were occupying whilst waiting to turn right.  :o

Exactly. There was no following traffic. otherwise I would have ended up under their wheels.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #12379 on: 24 January, 2013, 02:43:41 pm »

It's a disgrace at the moment, particularly heading north from Clapham South up to where the A24 meets the A3. Dodge those potholes!

TFL kindly keep it that way to help people like me get over their fear of off-roading, I believe. So thoughtful of them.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12380 on: 24 January, 2013, 05:14:37 pm »

TFL kindly keep it that way to help people like me get over their fear of off-roading, I believe. So thoughtful of them.

Has it worked?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #12381 on: 24 January, 2013, 09:27:12 pm »

I confess that despite my peculiar love of London bike routes, those blue superhighways have eluded me (actually, I lie, I did once try to follow CS3 to Barking but got lost in a car park, which with hindsight, was a message). This is partly because I live in SE London and, as such, any transport initiative is only likely to reach us 20 and 50 years after the rest of London. It's almost like the powers that be have wrapped us in some kind of temporal barrier. It could be 2030 outside and the rest of London is zipping around in a super network of shiny Teflon-coated pneumo-tubes, popping out like flatulent weasels in exciting locations like Belsize Park and Morden. I suppose we do now have tube trains that aren't tube trains, but they're nice and orange, like someone crossed Dale Winton with a Ginger Nut and extruded it in a hollow train-like form. That, children, is proper science. Some people claim it goes nowhere useful, but it'll be mightily handy should Croydon ever decide to invade Hackney. Hackney, for the record, has better beer, so I'm not complaining about Dale's Gingery Non-Tube. The temporal barrier theory would explain the way people in Shoreditch dress.

For some reason that might not have extended beyond morbid fascination, I did however, take CS7 from Holborn all the way to Colliers Wood yesterday, sampling the delights of a 'superhighway'. The experience was a bit like riding across the dark side of the Moon, and that's not just because Tooting is the natural home of Earthside Clanger contingent (obviously). Sections of it seemed to have been strafed by high calibre weaponry. There were potholes so big that I was worried someone (probably the French) had used South Clapham as a nuclear test site. Fortunately, as the entire length seems to double as parking spaces, I did manage to miss much of it. I was pleased to see that they had put some effort into the junctions, recreating a high-octane version of Frogger for Generation Nintendo cyclists who had become bored of a cycling in a straight line. Certainly, no one would want to suffer a fatal attack of ennui outside Stockwell station.

I did, I confess, expect some kind of reward on emerging in Colliers Wood. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Given the absence of a ticker tape parade, any kind of onward connectivity would have been nice, rather than the strip of blue just deciding that it had had enough, it wasn't going any further (and I couldn't entirely blame it). Nope, not an inch. You're on your own, it effectively said, abandoned in a place that I'm not even sure requires an apostrophe or not. I'd have minded less, but I had no idea how to get home from Colliers Wood, and the sky was rubbing gravelly sleet into my eyes. In the end I was forced to cross miles of bleak, pebbledashed badlands, like some suburban Siberia, until I stranded up in Carshalton Beeches, where at least I could figure my way home from (because my evil cats came from there, and there's also a black hole under Sutton which will eventually pull you in, no matter how lost you are in south London).

In summary: blue in places, not super, and not a highway.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12382 on: 24 January, 2013, 09:36:27 pm »
Hah!  You travelled CS7 South past Clapham Common, you lightweight.  Try Northbound - the potholes link up into something resembling a skatepark.
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12383 on: 24 January, 2013, 10:37:21 pm »
Bit of a bad one this morning, at about 0630. In a filter/crosshatched area waiting for oncoming traffic to clear, and one car decides to overtake at very high speed through the space I occupy. I managed to throw myself and bike toleft, landing on my hip, and I hope he heard the shout of 'Banker!'
Missed by about two feet, at somewhere near 80 mph. I was told to sit down and have a cuppa when I got in. Absolutely shocked.

To clarify oncoming traffic chose to overtake through the space you were occupying whilst waiting to turn right.  :o

Exactly. There was no following traffic. otherwise I would have ended up under their wheels.

Just S of the Motorway spur flyover?  Nasty bit of road that*, glad you're (relatively) unscathed.

* yes, I know the road isn't to blame, it's the knob behind the wheel.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #12384 on: 24 January, 2013, 10:37:38 pm »

I confess that despite my peculiar love of London bike routes, those blue superhighways have eluded me (actually, I lie, I did once try to follow CS3 to Barking but got lost in a car park, which with hindsight, was a message). This is partly because I live in SE London and, as such, any transport initiative is only likely to reach us 20 and 50 years after the rest of London. It's almost like the powers that be have wrapped us in some kind of temporal barrier. It could be 2030 outside and the rest of London is zipping around in a super network of shiny Teflon-coated pneumo-tubes, popping out like flatulent weasels in exciting locations like Belsize Park and Morden. I suppose we do now have tube trains that aren't tube trains, but they're nice and orange, like someone crossed Dale Winton with a Ginger Nut and extruded it in a hollow train-like form. That, children, is proper science. Some people claim it goes nowhere useful, but it'll be mightily handy should Croydon ever decide to invade Hackney. Hackney, for the record, has better beer, so I'm not complaining about Dale's Gingery Non-Tube. The temporal barrier theory would explain the way people in Shoreditch dress.

For some reason that might not have extended beyond morbid fascination, I did however, take CS7 from Holborn all the way to Colliers Wood yesterday, sampling the delights of a 'superhighway'. The experience was a bit like riding across the dark side of the Moon, and that's not just because Tooting is the natural home of Earthside Clanger contingent (obviously). Sections of it seemed to have been strafed by high calibre weaponry. There were potholes so big that I was worried someone (probably the French) had used South Clapham as a nuclear test site. Fortunately, as the entire length seems to double as parking spaces, I did manage to miss much of it. I was pleased to see that they had put some effort into the junctions, recreating a high-octane version of Frogger for Generation Nintendo cyclists who had become bored of a cycling in a straight line. Certainly, no one would want to suffer a fatal attack of ennui outside Stockwell station.

I did, I confess, expect some kind of reward on emerging in Colliers Wood. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Given the absence of a ticker tape parade, any kind of onward connectivity would have been nice, rather than the strip of blue just deciding that it had had enough, it wasn't going any further (and I couldn't entirely blame it). Nope, not an inch. You're on your own, it effectively said, abandoned in a place that I'm not even sure requires an apostrophe or not. I'd have minded less, but I had no idea how to get home from Colliers Wood, and the sky was rubbing gravelly sleet into my eyes. In the end I was forced to cross miles of bleak, pebbledashed badlands, like some suburban Siberia, until I stranded up in Carshalton Beeches, where at least I could figure my way home from (because my evil cats came from there, and there's also a black hole under Sutton which will eventually pull you in, no matter how lost you are in south London).

I know you (more than) dabble in Computerstuffs, ian and, I suspect, sell some too.
But if it ever goes t!ts-up in your nine to five, you should seriously consider a career in comedy script writing.
I am ROTFLMAO.
Srlsy  :D

« Reply #12385 on: 24 January, 2013, 10:54:01 pm »
POTD stuff that.

Oi !!   Librarian!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #12386 on: 24 January, 2013, 11:00:08 pm »
I encountered a poor soul this evening who clearly has a lot wrong with her. As I cycled past a stationary queue of traffic leading to the traffic lights at the Hampton water works, a cry was hurled forth from the open window of a car "GET ON THE FUCKING INSIDE !!!"

I really shouldn't have bothered, but I couldn't resist.

Me Why ?
PS  'Cos it's dangerous there.

But the whole tirade was in a highly aggressive manner. She wished me dead, continued to eff and blind, drove onto the vary narrow pavement to get past me to the stationary car 15' in front, pulled outside me (in primary, behind the stationary car in front) and  blocked the oncoming traffic, apparently to show me how dangerous it was to overtake on the outside, nudged me and the bike out of the way.

A real charmer. My first nuke grade psycho nutter for quite a few years. I'd almost forgotten they existed.
Rust never sleeps

spindrift

« Reply #12387 on: 24 January, 2013, 11:24:29 pm »
Jesus.

« Reply #12388 on: 25 January, 2013, 08:54:48 am »

I confess that despite my peculiar love of London bike routes, those blue superhighways have eluded me (actually, I lie, I did once try to follow CS3 to Barking but got lost in a car park,

<SNIP>

Best post for a while :D

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #12389 on: 25 January, 2013, 09:06:42 am »

I confess that despite my peculiar love of London bike routes, those blue superhighways have eluded me (actually, I lie, I did once try to follow CS3 to Barking but got lost in a car park, which with hindsight, was a message). [slash & hack]

I know you (more than) dabble in Computerstuffs, ian and, I suspect, sell some too.
But if it ever goes t!ts-up in your nine to five, you should seriously consider a career in comedy script writing.
I am ROTFLMAO.
Srlsy  :D

Brilliant stuff, Ian. I'm not sure I understood much of it (I am from rural partz), but it made oi larf mightily!

« Reply #12390 on: 25 January, 2013, 09:28:39 am »

Has it worked?

What do you think?

Excellent summary of CS7 from ian.

Hatler's psycho seems an interesting sort, alternately berating him for being somewhere that's 'not safe' and wishing him dead, too (as well as the rest of her behaviour).

« Reply #12391 on: 25 January, 2013, 09:51:06 am »
I'm wondering now perhaps whether she was drunk. Given that she rolled her car into me I'm wondering whether I would have been justified in taking her keys out of the ignition.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #12392 on: 25 January, 2013, 09:54:09 am »
A short ride out from home in t'sticks, B*W driver overtook me leaving plenty of clearance, but directly into oncoming traffic.  :facepalm:
About 50 feet before a red traffic light  :facepalm:  ::-)
Knocked on his driver's window (the usual shocked face   :o) and asked him politely whether he thought that was a safe overtaking manoeuvre. Sadly, light turned green and I let him go before I could explain... Hopefully he'll think a bit about that (but I'm not holding my breath)

Made up for that in Borough when a driver was turning out of Borough High St onto Southwark St into my path (somewhere people often don't give way).  Eye contact and a nod from me and he was able to merge into the traffic without impeding my progress.  ;D He gave me an indicator-wink and he got a :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12393 on: 25 January, 2013, 10:30:28 am »

Has it worked?

What do you think?

Hurrah!  :thumbsup:

First will do a ride along the Lea, then I'll introduce you to the joys Epping Forest.  Once the ground dries up a bit, of course.

:-*

As for me, it's a full house this week.  Sadly, a complete week of not cycling.  :'(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #12394 on: 25 January, 2013, 10:42:19 am »
Hurrah!  :thumbsup:

First will do a ride along the Lea, then I'll introduce you to the joys Epping Forest.  Once the ground dries up a bit, of course.

:-*

::-)

Look, I know it’s Friday and all, but you’re not supposed to start drinking this early…!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #12395 on: 25 January, 2013, 11:35:37 am »
Legs were going better today.  Needed yesterday's ride to get the snow-induced lethargy out of them.  Really nice dawn with pearly light on the snow.  First time Tadley has ever looked pretty to my eyes.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12396 on: 25 January, 2013, 11:46:10 am »
Begone snow! Out on fixer! Blimey, the handlebars feel narrow.  Going well, with brief breather to hand over jar of goose fat to a friend, like you do, roast spud cooking for the use of. Her daughter thought it was a jar of snot. Bless.

Still chuckling at this when some idiot executed a Parallel Turn of Wank, so I didn't let it spoil my day.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #12397 on: 25 January, 2013, 01:56:31 pm »
I was pleased to see that they had put some effort into the junctions, recreating a high-octane version of Frogger for Generation Nintendo cyclists who had become bored of a cycling in a straight line.

Pure, bladder-weakening genius  :thumbsup:

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #12398 on: 25 January, 2013, 02:48:08 pm »

Just S of the Motorway spur flyover?  Nasty bit of road that*, glad you're (relatively) unscathed.

* yes, I know the road isn't to blame, it's the knob behind the wheel.

That's the spot. Sore right knee today, noticed it when I rode home last night. Must have twisted it slightly coming off the bike. Nice marks on outside of left leg of semi-longs... bike OK.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #12399 on: 25 January, 2013, 03:22:39 pm »
I encountered a poor soul this evening who clearly has a lot wrong with her. As I cycled past a stationary queue of traffic leading to the traffic lights at the Hampton water works, a cry was hurled forth from the open window of a car "GET ON THE FUCKING INSIDE !!!"

I really shouldn't have bothered, but I couldn't resist.

Me Why ?
PS  'Cos it's dangerous there.

But the whole tirade was in a highly aggressive manner. She wished me dead, continued to eff and blind, drove onto the vary narrow pavement to get past me to the stationary car 15' in front, pulled outside me (in primary, behind the stationary car in front) and  blocked the oncoming traffic, apparently to show me how dangerous it was to overtake on the outside, nudged me and the bike out of the way.

A real charmer. My first nuke grade psycho nutter for quite a few years. I'd almost forgotten they existed.

Assuming you didn't insert an icepick into her nostril, it would be good to let the police know her reg.