Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2524530 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #14075 on: 02 September, 2013, 12:10:34 pm »
A similar experience here this morning - set off apace on the fixed bike, but as I swerved to avoid a motorised loon my back wheel went weird and Ivery nearly lost it.  Back tyre flat as a pancake, and I didn't have a spare with me (it was on my shopping list for today, honest) and so I walked it home, got the Dave Lloyd out of the shed and raced to work in almost record time. 

It's orrible to be back on the commute after two weeks away in the sunny north.

« Reply #14076 on: 04 September, 2013, 08:59:03 am »
Children.
Loads of them.
Going to school.
On bikes :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14077 on: 04 September, 2013, 10:53:04 am »
On Monday and Tuesday I was wondering where all the expected increase in traffic was.

Ah.  It seems the schools went back today.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #14078 on: 04 September, 2013, 10:58:52 am »
Last night I got caught up behind a family group riding through Milton Country Park.  Also saw a mother and two children on bikes.

This morning I saw hardly anyone out on their bikes, but then I was out EARLY....

This morning was lovely, coming down to the Cam from the Fen Ditton direction, the meadows swathed in mist, the cattle grids slightly moist so care needed.  The cows were, unusually, wandering with careless abandon and doing what comes naturally to them (clue, it's brown and smelly), some of which, I discovered when I arrived at work, had deposited itself on my bike, mitts and jersey! :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #14079 on: 04 September, 2013, 02:08:33 pm »
I'm spared commuting, but I had two or three errands to run in Shoreditch yesterday afternoon. My route took me across both the junctions here and here, though rather before either incident.

And the junction here feels even closer to home. It used to be my way to school, and is still on my route to my parents'.

They haven't got me yet, but that's not a great 24 hours.
Not especially helpful or mature

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14080 on: 04 September, 2013, 05:23:46 pm »
Not my commute, but probably the involved cyclist's commute. I'm sitting here with the window open and I heard a shout together with an engine noise. I've just had a look and there's a cyclist who was evidently going down the hill, with the shoulder of his shirt torn but otherwise seeming unhurt (except he'd lost his glasses but a passer by found them). From overheard snippets it seems he was "going really fast", "I was doing 30" and came off avoiding possibly a woman with a dog (who said he was going really fast) or a car that crossed the road in front of him (and is now nowhere to be seen). I didn't actually see what happened, he seems uninjured, his bike seems ok and there are lots of people there with him already, so I've come back home to carry on with my non-commute. It's a dodgy road though, that's the second crash/incident I've seen in a few months (but the first involving a bike). Steep hill, busy at rush hour, lots of residential side roads with poor visibility.  :(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #14081 on: 04 September, 2013, 08:56:28 pm »
"GET OFF THE ROAD!" from a lorry driver going the other way. Actually, he was more or less stationary in a queue waiting to enter the roundabout I'd just come off. I regret not stopping to "discuss it" with him now, because he was going nowhere. I could sense the hatred in his voice, which I found mildly disturbing.

« Reply #14082 on: 04 September, 2013, 11:12:43 pm »
Pimped the S2L with Ritchey WCS bar ends and Deore XT pedals.....now goes at warp speed through the streets of West London ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

simonp

« Reply #14083 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:00:58 am »
First commute for nearly 2 weeks (holiday last week).

+ 3kg weight in that time.

Shouldn't have had such a large breakfast. Thought I was going to see it again on some of the longer climbs. Developed a stitch a couple of times spinning downhill.

Lovely weather - but the drivers are being cretins.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #14084 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:21:35 am »
Just to buck the trend, I had a lovely commute in this morning.

Foggy as I set off, but visibility varied between 50M and 150M+, no stupidly close passes.

Took a slightly different route in, instead of going down the lane to Fen Ditton, I carried on down Newmarket road a way then cut through the park and ride.  The fog cleared by the time I got to Fen Ditton, and all that was left was some river mist on the meadows down by the Cam.

Lovely, lovely ride in.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #14085 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:36:21 am »
Lovely weather - but the drivers are being cretins.
Schools are back.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #14086 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:43:45 am »
My fortnightly train ride to work this morning.
I've been spoilt over the summer months with relaxed journeys in carriages filled to 80% of their capacity.

This morning was back to the hell of the Cross City Line in all it's rush hour awfulness.

How can people do that every day? :hand:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #14087 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:45:02 am »
Schools have been back a while. Good to be back on my regular commuter with chainrings that inspire a far greater degree of confidence in their ability to hold a chain (and to perform appropriate surgery on digitus misplacii.)

Discovered just how crap my legs are.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #14088 on: 05 September, 2013, 12:24:04 pm »
A van with a trailer passed me today.  I was surprised he slowed right down then pulled out and passed with a courteous space between us. This pleased me greatly. Normally trailer towing vehicles whizz past with no allowance for the trailer.

simonp

« Reply #14089 on: 05 September, 2013, 12:26:56 pm »
Yes, there has been noticeably more traffic, even though I commute after school run time.

I wonder what advantage tailgating a cyclist through a narrowing at a traffic island gains? I overtook them all in the queue at Bedminster.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14090 on: 05 September, 2013, 07:17:49 pm »
Suicidal rabbits this morning.  One dawdling in front of me for a few tens of yards until it got bored and another ran _towards_ my front wheel. Necessitating a complete stop.  At the bottom of a (OK not very steep) hill.  Floppy-eared git.

Oh and it appears to be muck-spreading time again.  *cough* *ack* *ack*
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14091 on: 05 September, 2013, 07:49:59 pm »
This morning was back to the hell of the Cross City Line in all it's rush hour awfulness.

It's marginally better than driving...

« Reply #14092 on: 05 September, 2013, 08:12:14 pm »
Numpty in a tipper truck took exception to my overtaking him as I was filtering, and then kept pace as the traffic found a happy speed of 20 mph. Me - about three bike lengths from the car in front, and holding it. Him, 2' off my rear wheel to start with and then goes for an utterly pointless and really threatening overtake.

I'm sorry, I've had a long easy Summer with the last week spent on the untrafficed lanes of Sussex, and all I could do was look over my shoulder and bellow at the top of my voice, repeatedly, "FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF" whilst he responded in kind and gesticulated violently that I should be in the gutter.

Not very mature or helpful I grant you, but I was really angry, probably through being intimidated by a twat behind the wheel of a ten tonner (or whatever they are).
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14093 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:13:38 pm »
Numpty in a tipper truck took exception to my overtaking him as I was filtering, and then kept pace as the traffic found a happy speed of 20 mph. Me - about three bike lengths from the car in front, and holding it. Him, 2' off my rear wheel to start with and then goes for an utterly pointless and really threatening overtake.

I'm sorry, I've had a long easy Summer with the last week spent on the untrafficed lanes of Sussex, and all I could do was look over my shoulder and bellow at the top of my voice, repeatedly, "FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF" whilst he responded in kind and gesticulated violently that I should be in the gutter.

Not very mature or helpful I grant you, but I was really angry, probably through being intimidated by a twat behind the wheel of a ten tonner (or whatever they are).

Something about Thursday evenings brings out the worst in people... Other than Monday mornings it's the most impatient time of the week.

But that kind of thing is really not all that uncommon and from what I have seen there is pretty much zero chance of any comeback even if you have it all on video.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #14094 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:44:38 pm »

It's marginally better than driving...

Ah yes,  Good point,

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #14095 on: 06 September, 2013, 09:18:08 am »
Back to it this morning. It was a bit wet out and the traffic was awful but I wasn't on the train. Hooray!

Also felt a lot better being on gatorskins rather than the previous wet loo paper tyres. They didn't feel good at all.

« Reply #14096 on: 06 September, 2013, 09:34:44 am »
Made it in before the heavens opened properly.
Slightly damp, but still in short sleeves and not cold.
Bike shelter at work is full. Full as in I had to find somewhere else to put mine.

Overshoes and waterproofs in bag, bike with mdgrds today.
On which basis I am expecting a sunny journey home.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #14097 on: 06 September, 2013, 09:44:38 am »
Made it in before the heavens opened properly.
Slightly damp, but still in short sleeves and not cold.
Bike shelter at work is full. Full as in I had to find somewhere else to put mine.

Overshoes and waterproofs in bag, bike with mdgrds today.
On which basis I am expecting a sunny journey home.

50/50 I reckon. Nowt like a wet cycle home! ;)

simonp

« Reply #14098 on: 06 September, 2013, 10:32:37 am »
Spectacularly shitty piece of driving this morning in St Pauls. To save... no time at all. I overtook him in the inevitable queue about 5 seconds after.

No breakfast before I set off this morning, so no feeling like throwing up, and 2kph faster average.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14099 on: 06 September, 2013, 10:45:19 am »
only just dried my clothes (clammy jeans and cotton shirt) sitting in front of the fan. it was dry when i set off and i had a waterproof jacket in a rucksack, but didn't bother to put it on when it started raining as it was warm outside. i made my colleagues laugh when i entered the office.. ;D