Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2524626 times)

ian

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #14300 on: 10 October, 2013, 02:38:30 pm »
M'colleague mentioned yesterday that he'd seen a bike under a bus on Rye Lane on the way to work. Anyone know any more about that?

And following that, I saw this in the news today:
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10729562.UPDATE__Cyclist_rushed_to_hospital_with_head_injuries_following_Sydenham_smash/?ref=twtrec

Two spots I often go through on my commute.  :(

South London, eh?  ::-)

If Twitter is to be believed (and it's probably not) the driver in the Sydenham crash was doing her make-up and ran off afterward leaving her car on the scene... Goes without saying it had the obligatory 'baby on board' sticker.

Fortunately I'm working at home today so wasn't cycling down Rye Lane, but we've had previous discussions about how little fun it can be at times (the top end is blighted by traffic islands and impatient drivers, the bottom end is Peckham).

Hope they're both alright.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #14301 on: 10 October, 2013, 03:07:21 pm »
There was a post about this on the Lewisham Cyclists Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/72380106728/

I had a rather long commute yesterday Scottish style involving a very wild and windy bike ride, a few trains....... an interesting change time allowance at Inverness of 5 minutes to make the Glasgow train resulted in us missing that and being piled on to the sleeperto change at Perth to a Glasgow connection that didn't exist. Fortunately this minor problem was spotted by the sleeper guard who phoned through and a people carrier big enough to carry two bikes, bags, tents was waiting for us at Stirling.  Our bikes and bags were heaved up the stairs by two friendly train despatchers and into the car. Which was soon zooming along the empty M80. By 2am we were hauling those bikes and bags up to the top floor of the tenement where my daughter lives.  Hoping that today's journey will be somewhat less eventful.  (Glasgow to London, then ride home from Euston).

fuzzy

« Reply #14302 on: 10 October, 2013, 08:20:08 pm »
Due to having this on loan-

I took an extended ride home which added 5 miles to the route, a considerable bit of which was along the Thames Path.

Lots of Canada Goose shit stuck to the bike now  ;D

« Reply #14303 on: 10 October, 2013, 09:33:47 pm »
Lots of Canada Goose shit stuck to the bike now  ;D

Is that what's in the tub? ;)

« Reply #14304 on: 10 October, 2013, 09:36:21 pm »
That weeny chainwheel should give you access to trees.
The top parts....

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #14305 on: 10 October, 2013, 11:49:38 pm »
Headed out along the Tay to a meeting. The sun was setting as I rode along the river

IMAG1764 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

And turning round..

IMAG1765 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

A largish boat was heading in the same direction

The sun was set as I rode back.

IMAG1776 by davidmamartin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #14306 on: 11 October, 2013, 01:20:50 am »
A forecast a day keeps the fair weather cyclists away, it was actually a rather nice day for it.  I'm sure there were far fewer on the roads today, however the extra space was compensated by more air than usual.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #14307 on: 11 October, 2013, 08:17:58 am »
It was lovely riding in the pre-sunrise glow. Overhead, the first plane of the day caught the sun as it made its turn towards paradise
Quote from: Lorraine Chase
No. Luton Airport
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #14308 on: 11 October, 2013, 08:21:31 am »
Gah. I had my only full house of the year two weeks ago, and a perfectly hassle free week it was. Then a week at home with a horrible cold and this week I've been too yuk to cycle, so have had to car it to work. Oh god. I've rediscovered why I cycle. 10 miles. It took 1.40 one day and it's never been less than an hour either way, except for this morning where, in a moment of desperation, I set off at 5.20.

Back on the bike next week, I can't take this any more, however horrible I feel.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14309 on: 11 October, 2013, 08:37:04 am »
It wasn't particularly cold in London this morning, but I did upgrade to 1 long sleeve thin layer, and my rainproof DHB jacket for later, with lightweight Durafeet gloves, and was just right.  Was wearing jeans as no-one much in the office today, and my Dorothy Perkins skinnies are fine on the bike, if a little low at the back, but covered by the long sleeve top and jacket.

The wind was a bit of a bugger though, enough to sting the eyes and make them water.  A little reminder of what it will be like when it gets proper cold.  Will have to dig out my prescription wrap round glasses (aka alien glasses, as they are a silvery grey).

« Reply #14310 on: 11 October, 2013, 02:15:39 pm »
... I saw this in the news today:
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10729562.UPDATE__Cyclist_rushed_to_hospital_with_head_injuries_following_Sydenham_smash/?ref=twtrec

Mrs R and son #2 arrived on the scene shortly after the Mayow Road incident - on their initial approach they were alarmed at how still the cyclist was, but then they saw his hands moving.  The car in question appeared to have rounded the corner completely on the wrong side of the road.

Edit: yes, this photo taken a bit later rather confirms that.

This and the Rye Lane incident had me on edge yesterday, as it was son #2's first solo after dark trip out through SE London traffic.  I was standing in our upstairs front room for ages waiting for him to appear.  His piano lesson in Ladywell was supposed to have finished at 7.45, and at 8.20 there was still no sign of him.  He duly appeared at 8.25 - yes, his piano teacher was running late and all was well.  I guess I'll stop worrying at some point.

spindrift

« Reply #14311 on: 11 October, 2013, 02:23:08 pm »
Might be rumour:

Clark Fuell ‏@Clarky_2 1h
@Clarky_2 after talking to the police, they have catch the driver and it was due 2 her putting on her makeup while driving #Sydenham #makeup

simonp

« Reply #14312 on: 11 October, 2013, 02:28:38 pm »
In Cambridge, drivers routinely take that line at a mini roundabout on Chesterton High St. Several times I have nearly ended up like that cyclist.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #14313 on: 11 October, 2013, 04:14:22 pm »
Grim photo - I hope the rider is getting all the best medical attention and makes a full recovery.

It's going to be a tough commute home I think - the wind's really up here (Buckinghamshire).  It was cold and nasty rain on the way in this morning.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #14314 on: 11 October, 2013, 05:42:13 pm »
Legs decided they had reached the weekend already before I started riding home for some reason, and something on the bike is squeaking. Looks like I have some fettling to do.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #14315 on: 14 October, 2013, 01:11:44 pm »
Finally I get to commute on Orange bike. I wondered whether I could get up the hills as I have not ridden single speed for a couple years. I should not of worried 41 x 17 x 622-28 is an easy gear if you read the claims of the fixed gear crowd. It was all going well when I hit a bump and the saddle slipped to a steep nose up angle.  So not a comfortable commute.  I just reset the saddle level.  I hope it holds this time.

« Reply #14316 on: 14 October, 2013, 08:28:17 pm »
Serious road rage incident on the way home tonight....unprovoked, a motorist started shouting at me & then chased me up & down some local roads (he was clearly on a mission), mounted a pavement to try & knock me off, but luckily I escaped when the driver got out of his car, presumably to try and hit me.  I'm lucky that I'm nimble & quick on the Brompton, otherwise I fear I'd be in hospital this evening!

Reported incident to the Police & being in Thames Valley, they certainly sound like they're going to pursue the matter...sufficient details given & a possible witness.  Nuff said (apart from I'll be taking a different route to & from the station for a while!).
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14317 on: 14 October, 2013, 08:51:16 pm »
Shit! :o

I'm very glad you escaped him.  There are some incredibly unbalanced people out there behind the wheel. >:(
Getting there...

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #14318 on: 15 October, 2013, 08:38:53 am »
Red VW LL57HTV on Ampthill Rd yesterday afternoon. Your demonstration of TEH DRIVIN SKILLZ was utter rubbish. You could have come at least 1/4 inch closer and still not touched my elbow. ::-)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #14319 on: 15 October, 2013, 08:41:20 am »
Yesterday. If I'm through Kingston before eight in the morning I'll bimble through the pedestrianised area rather than face the occasional psycho on the one way system. Just at the far end I crossed right in front of a colleague who was heading for the bus. He keeps talking about cycling to work but hasn't quite managed it. From Kingston it's six and a half miles. The race was on.

This was my first time on the bike in over two weeks so was taking things easy, but I was still mildly confident. Then, disaster, a mile from work and the dreaded pfffffttt. My first in that tyre in 3300 miles. Should I walk or fix it. Couldn't face the indignity of the walk so set about replacing the tube.

Underway again in 12 minutes and still beat him to work by ten minutes.  8)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14320 on: 15 October, 2013, 08:42:12 am »
blimey, PAC, that sounds scary.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #14321 on: 15 October, 2013, 08:57:10 am »
Sun was out, the wind was down and it was nice and pleasent out :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

fuzzy

« Reply #14322 on: 15 October, 2013, 09:04:13 am »
Decided to ride the Superfly again this morning and opted for a slightly off road route. This was a good decision until I turnde off road and suddenly remembered that off road tends to be shaded. In the summer- great, on an early autumn morning, shade = dark ::-) Comedy off roading ensued as i tried to see and avoid obstacles in the light of my JoyStick which was not to bright in the dawning light.

Stayed upright and enjoyed the challenge :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #14323 on: 15 October, 2013, 11:30:34 am »
Chilly start with fog which cleared and it warmed up a bit in the sun.

Might be getting winter gloves out soon...

spindrift

« Reply #14324 on: 15 October, 2013, 12:35:22 pm »
All the conkers have been crushed, roads as greasy as a Gregg's door handle out there.