Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518941 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #18900 on: 09 September, 2016, 08:05:38 am »
First full house for a while, bad case of Friday legs  :(

« Reply #18901 on: 09 September, 2016, 01:12:54 pm »
Got wheel suckered yesterday.

Mrs trekker and I were battling into a headwind along a busy road we usually try to avoid but it's the quickest most direct route home as we had lots to do.

I looked behind shortly after a red light and there was a third bike in our chain. He just appeared behind me from no where. I passed Mrs Trekker and told her to be aware he was there.

After another half mile I was getting a bit annoyed with this and having decided I'd had enough of fighting into the headwind eased my pace off a little (we weren't going particularly fast anyway) and he finally passed with a thousand yard stare into the distance and didn't say a word. At this point I know I should have latched onto his wheel and sat there until we got into town but we didn't have the pace or the inclination to match his sudden new found speed and were about to turn off the main road anyway.

How rude can you get? To sit there without asking for a wheel is one thing but to not even thank us for the tow is just appalling!!!

#bloodycyclists
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #18902 on: 12 September, 2016, 11:55:44 am »
I cycled to the station!

Yes a whole 1.2miles, but with arm in sling and graft site on pelvis still pretty sore, it felt like 100miles and I felt every bump. Still, I managed.
Freedom, of a sort, and still easier than walking.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #18903 on: 12 September, 2016, 12:33:32 pm »
The schools are back, therefore the traffic was back and I was filtering past the queues.

« Reply #18904 on: 12 September, 2016, 08:55:26 pm »
Lights on the way home tonight.  :(
Albeit only blinkies, and I did leave work later than usual.
I've just shoved some newly recharged cells into two Hope Vision 1s, as I can see them being put to use over the next few days.

« Reply #18905 on: 13 September, 2016, 08:29:35 am »
Yesterday was very hard work. This morning was much easier probably due to having more than 40 psi in the tyres  :facepalm:

Afasoas

« Reply #18906 on: 13 September, 2016, 06:59:29 pm »
Cycled home in heavy rain and localised flooding. Roadside grates had been dislodged by the swell forcing me to use primary position in places. In other places it was impossible to tell if the grates had been dislodged because there was too much flooding. Some drivers were exemplary given the conditions. Many were not. A not-insignificant proportion were simply very dangerous in their eagerness to get home with absolutely no consideration for the effect or potential effect their tailgating, failure to yield, insufficiently wide overtaking, spray nor wake (yes, wake!) had on other road users.

I even tried a cycling facility but it had a yield point every 25m with slippy concrete tactile paving, complete with ridges running in the direction of travel. It's almost as if it was purposely designed to forcibly dismount a cyclist.

« Reply #18907 on: 14 September, 2016, 08:08:01 am »
Biblical last night but at least I missed the hail, quite a wind this morning making it heavy going, just hope it doesn't swing around.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18908 on: 14 September, 2016, 12:42:21 pm »
Scary ride in today, as it was my first ride fixed since my crash 2 years ago and I've become anxious about fixed riding since. I made it though, and hopefully I'll make it home without turning the wheel back round. :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #18909 on: 14 September, 2016, 03:10:31 pm »
Scary ride in today, as it was my first ride fixed since my crash 2 years ago and I've become anxious about fixed riding since. I made it though, and hopefully I'll make it home without turning the wheel back round. :)

Well done, keep at it and it will get to be routine again.

« Reply #18910 on: 14 September, 2016, 03:22:19 pm »
Sunny & warm here in Oxon, for my 30km round trip.  All good -  except that my change of clothes was in the locker and I'd left the key at home, still, I coped.   :)

Note to self - have a back-up non-locker set of clothes at work.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #18911 on: 14 September, 2016, 07:29:31 pm »
Just over 25 miles each way today.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #18912 on: 14 September, 2016, 07:46:51 pm »
I really don't expect to finish off a full bottle of water on 15 mile trip in September.  July yeah, August hmm probably, but September? Now that's just silly.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18913 on: 14 September, 2016, 08:14:52 pm »

Thank you. I made it home and took it out to church and back this evening. One gentle reminder I needed to keep pedalling, and quite a bit of braking on the descents as I couldn't get my legs to turn over fast enough but otherwise ok :)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #18914 on: 14 September, 2016, 08:17:20 pm »

Thank you. I made it home and took it out to church and back this evening. One gentle reminder I needed to keep pedalling, and quite a bit of braking on the descents as I couldn't get my legs to turn over fast enough but otherwise ok :)

Are you hoping for some training benefit from fixed commuting?
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18915 on: 14 September, 2016, 08:46:55 pm »
Are you hoping for some training benefit from fixed commuting?

I'd like to work on smoothing my pedal action out a bit, but really this is more a mental thing to prove to myself I can do it.

ian

« Reply #18916 on: 14 September, 2016, 09:44:45 pm »
As I had a meeting at Heathrow, I bimbled out a bit early to shuck off the A/C and catch the embers of the evening (and summer). I had only planned to ride to a nearby train station but ended up cycling the entire way home (given a few 'routing ambiguities', that entailed 3 hours of Bromptoneering).

« Reply #18917 on: 14 September, 2016, 09:58:49 pm »
As I had a meeting at Heathrow, I bimbled out a bit early to shuck off the A/C and catch the embers of the evening (and summer). I had only planned to ride to a nearby train station but ended up cycling the entire way home (given a few 'routing ambiguities', that entailed 3 hours of Bromptoneering).
Tres formidable :thumbsup:
I hope you enjoyed.
ETA
I've done a few long days at work of recent.
I've found the leisurely ride home most beneficial
ETFA
The bit along the Thames being particularly nice.

ian

« Reply #18918 on: 14 September, 2016, 10:25:44 pm »
I sort of planned to ride along the Thames, but my attempt to unscramble the road tagliatelle that someone spilled where the A4 and M4 meet resulted in a bit more local exploration than was strictly required before I found Kew Bridge. At that point it was dark, so I opted for the full-on unadulterated delights of the South Circular all the way to Streatham. Still the evening was fine and the traffic mostly benign.

« Reply #18919 on: 15 September, 2016, 12:41:56 pm »
Some time ago I lost my fitbit for the umpteenth time and used that as an opportunity to upgrade to a fancy thing that sits on your wrist and tells you stuff. I justified this on the basis that on days like today, when the weather is dubious for my bridge,   I can just glance at my wrist, and divert to the other, less lovely bridge, and make my journey a mile or two longer rather than 5 miles longer.
Today, I glanced, I saw the Transporter Bridge Alert, diverted , and smugly told myself IT WAS WORTH THE UPGRADE.

Until I got to work and discovered the Alert was informing me that the bridge was open.

:facepalm:

« Reply #18920 on: 15 September, 2016, 05:39:34 pm »
See also The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread

:-)

« Reply #18921 on: 15 September, 2016, 09:37:44 pm »
Well I got rather wet. On the other hand it was warm enough that I didn't feel the need to don my waterproof.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #18922 on: 15 September, 2016, 09:42:19 pm »
Cycled back from Heathrow again. Some ominous cloudage that I worried would have me scuttling for the nearest station, but not a jot of rain. I'm home now and declare the summer over. I hope you all enjoyed it.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #18923 on: 15 September, 2016, 09:59:18 pm »
Hmm,

I don't really use Strava, but I do have an account there which I never used.
However, since I let Garmin Connect move me to the new Modern view about a year ago, it automagically uploads anything you send to Garmin to Strava too. ( I did have to actively allow this. )

So now my commute seems to have some 'segments'.
Without really knowing it, I seem to have bested my PB on the trivial climb out of my local village twice in the last few days.

Apparently, I averaged 33.7kph on the Culter Hill Sprint, which was a bit of a surprise because I was not riding eyeballs-out, it was just a commute.
So pleased with that!

https://www.strava.com/activities/713308919

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18924 on: 15 September, 2016, 10:09:40 pm »
I had to take my specs off for the morning commute, because fog  :-X