Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2524532 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21575 on: 20 October, 2023, 10:15:27 am »
Well that was wet ;D Need better overshoes and hope that my stuff is dry before I have to ride home.

« Reply #21576 on: 20 October, 2023, 07:44:49 pm »
A bit.
First time I have had to re-route because of floods.  Impressively flooded ford on the way in (as in river crossing, not car) blocked off by a fire engine.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #21577 on: 23 October, 2023, 10:27:55 am »
Really cold this morning.  My medium gloves are fine once I get into the city but they are not good enough for the canal path which is about 3 degrees colder.  Apart from that, a pretty nice ride in

« Reply #21578 on: 23 October, 2023, 06:17:25 pm »
Was caught out a bit by it being a lot cooler then expected when left this morning. Was quiet as its half term and was out early. The sky to quote the unthanks was  the hour when wounded night begins to bleed and by the time got to work had warmed a bit

Home was hard as forgot to eat my afternoon snack bar and thr first 3 or so K has a lot of traffic and needing to take a lane so need to work but after that settled down and thankfully didn't have a stonking head wind this time.

Did have a panic as looks like I'll need my waterproof jacket tomorrow but couldn't find then remembered grabbed it on weekend when did shop with trailer on wife's bike so was innher basket

Done 3 commutes so far so around 90km and hopefully can keep doing as saves a lot in fuel in our old minivan

« Reply #21579 on: 23 October, 2023, 08:25:13 pm »
Here in Brum was less cool (but prob later in the day as not doing your milage).  Also not half term until next week.

« Reply #21580 on: 24 October, 2023, 05:39:35 pm »
OK as it looks like I'll be cycle commuting a lot till the spring at least I won't post every ride but today was notable for it being grim on way on but at least no wind and way home felt hard but was sunny and dry and ended up about 2kmh faster then usual. Legs are feeling it as not ridden much this year but for reasons I'll probably have to drive at least one day out of Thursday or Friday

« Reply #21581 on: 24 October, 2023, 06:32:58 pm »
On ride home a kid riding through the ford made me smile.

« Reply #21582 on: 24 October, 2023, 07:39:17 pm »
Riding in was quiet, but cool. I think the long legged kit will have to appear from next week. At one point there were three cyclists, including me, and no cars which was very pleasant.

The ride home was interesting. A combination of mud from the fields, leaves and the heavy rain showers we've had, meant that there was water across the whole width of the road in a place I've never seen that happen before. Even the cars were having to slow down and take things carefully. No idea what tomorrow morning will be like!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #21583 on: 26 October, 2023, 09:06:01 am »
Eventful. A shame, because I was on excellent form.
Flew out of London, averaging 10mph+ for the first hour. Minor drama from a van having a tyre blowout - a sound like a gunshot, followed by scraping noises - and a ludicrously close pass from a taxi.
Had to give up on trying not to put a foot down when my rear light shouted at me that it was tired and switched itself off. Had to spend five minutes gently stroking and encouraging it, but coaxed it back to life on a different setting. Note to self: if carrying a backup rear light, make sure it's charged....
The main front light was predictably  problematic on the bumpy roads. Switched itself off on a dark descent, but the secondary was fine. I knew it was gravelly. so I slowed down to take it easy. Unfortunately, with all the recent rain there was more gravel than usual, and not where I expected it, so I lost the front wheel, tried to save it, hit the bank, and lost a fight with the hedge. I went over the handlebars and took some branches to the face, the pannier got launched off the rack, my spare (third) front light disappeared somewhere too. All very dramatic. Seemed to be quite a bit of blood, but not massively serious. a cut to the right eyebrow was the most dramatic and was actually dripping, plus a scarpe the shin and a couple more face scratches. I'll have a nice black eye pretty soon. Picked myself up, sorted myself out and got back going again. Front wheel needs looking at. I dont' think it's entirely round anymore. it feels odd when turning, and when I brake it seems to pull alternately left and right. Took it very easy on the way home, and got a good dose of sympathy.
Off to the LBS today, as the bike needs to be fit for the Upper Thames next weekend.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21584 on: 26 October, 2023, 12:36:53 pm »
Flew out of London, averaging 10mph+ for the first hour. Minor drama from a van having a tyre blowout - a sound like a gunshot, followed by scraping noises - and a ludicrously close pass from a taxi.
Had to give up on trying not to put a foot down when my rear light shouted at me that it was tired and switched itself off. Had to spend five minutes gently stroking and encouraging it, but coaxed it back to life on a different setting. Note to self: if carrying a backup rear light, make sure it's charged....
The main front light was predictably  problematic on the bumpy roads. Switched itself off on a dark descent, but the secondary was fine. I knew it was gravelly. so I slowed down to take it easy. Unfortunately, with all the recent rain there was more gravel than usual, and not where I expected it, so I lost the front wheel, tried to save it, hit the bank, and lost a fight with the hedge. I went over the handlebars and took some branches to the face, the pannier got launched off the rack, my spare (third) front light disappeared somewhere too. All very dramatic. Seemed to be quite a bit of blood, but not massively serious. a cut to the right eyebrow was the most dramatic and was actually dripping, plus a scarpe the shin and a couple more face scratches. I'll have a nice black eye pretty soon. Picked myself up, sorted myself out and got back going again. Front wheel needs looking at. I dont' think it's entirely round anymore. it feels odd when turning, and when I brake it seems to pull alternately left and right. Took it very easy on the way home, and got a good dose of sympathy.
Off to the LBS today, as the bike needs to be fit for the Upper Thames next weekend.

Blimey. That all sounds rather too exciting to be good.  Hope you're not seriously damaged.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #21585 on: 27 October, 2023, 10:52:00 pm »
jeezo !

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #21586 on: 27 October, 2023, 10:58:11 pm »
And jings!

« Reply #21587 on: 29 October, 2023, 06:59:01 pm »
The ride home was interesting. A combination of mud from the fields, leaves and the heavy rain showers we've had, meant that there was water across the whole width of the road in a place I've never seen that happen before. Even the cars were having to slow down and take things carefully. No idea what tomorrow morning will be like!
Having driven that road a couple of times since I typed that, I am definitely not riding this week. There isn't really a sensible alternative route in the dark and the idea of traversing 20m or more of water when I can't really see what's happening does not appeal.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #21588 on: 30 October, 2023, 09:37:54 am »
Usually I ride home through this street:

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2023-10-29/roads-closed-as-overnight-flooding-hits-county-durham-village

Not sure I'll go that way today- though it's all gone by now.

« Reply #21589 on: 30 October, 2023, 10:28:33 am »
...  Hope you're not seriously damaged.
Although I've developed quite the shiner, and discovered some more bruises, the most damage was to my wallet, getting the wheel trued (but also a new headset wot 'as needed doin', while I was in there.)

« Reply #21590 on: 30 October, 2023, 11:23:06 am »

I cycle on an old railway line, it's pitch black for my commute all winter long, a dynamo light is the best investment I made. I can't recommend it eenough, brighter than a lot of lights and never need to remember to charge them too. I hope you aren't too badly hurt, get well soon.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21591 on: 30 October, 2023, 08:45:15 pm »
I went to see my mum in the hospital after work and, not fancying psyclepaths through stabby estates in the dark, took the long way home on deserted lanes with a big moon up ahead.  It was pretty good.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #21592 on: 01 November, 2023, 08:17:05 am »
Well, I jumped back on the horse that threw me, made it home safe and sound, slightly slower, but a) I was taking it easy on the downhills, b) it's really quite dark now, and c) road closures Apart from a close pass on a zebra crossing, it was largely uneventful from my point of view. a big accident on the barnet bypass meant the lanes were full of traffic trying to bypass the bypass, and fire engines trying to get on  One of the roads was unexpectedly gravelly, but it was uphill, so not a massive problem. I was delighted that my route across the chilterns was so quiet, only to come across the reason - a road closure. waterworks, for 8 weeks. Got past on the pavement. and I'm pleased to report that the gravel at the scene of my off seems to have been cleared after a cross report to fixmystreet. One further road closure now open again, so knocks a km or so off the route again. Lights largely held up, but still problematic. Notwithstanding my intent to get a dynamo wheel, I'll need to get better lights for the smiley sons anyway, so happy to spend the cash.

« Reply #21593 on: 04 November, 2023, 09:28:32 am »
Took the car Thursday due to weather forecast and wasn't anywhere near as bad as predicted locally

Friday cycled and was a killer into wind on way in. Did manage to chase someone down and shelter behind them for last couple of km, they didn't even realise I was there as had headphones in

The way home was probably the wettest I'd ever cycled in. Delayed leaving work due to a cloud burst and when left was just moderate rain but slowly got worse and the last half of ride was torrential and I was utterly drenched when home.

Have managed to streamline changing at work as was having to go to locker twice to get stuff and put stuff back once I've got changed but got a better system going now

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21594 on: 04 November, 2023, 10:20:17 am »
Friday, got a slowish flat on the way in. Replaced the rear tube on my fixed sitting on a low wall across the road from Twickenham Stadium. Dug out the big chunk of glass from the tyre. Cold, grubby hands and a late arrival.

Get the bike out for the ride home and the front tyre is dead flat. No spare tube left, no patches in the tool bottle and no desire to take a bike home on train and Tube on a Friday night. I leave the thorn or whatever in the tyre and do the ‘pump and ride thing’ at 10 minute intervals. Several hundred pump strokes and nearly 90 minutes later, the bike is thankfully dumped in the garage. A glass to celebrate the end of the week.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21595 on: 06 November, 2023, 01:10:34 pm »
Perfect temperature for cycle commuting- dry as well. What's not to like?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21596 on: 06 November, 2023, 01:18:10 pm »
The mighty rushing headwind on the way home?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #21597 on: 06 November, 2023, 06:39:40 pm »
The mighty rushing headwind on the way home?

We must head opposite ways, flew home this evening even after editing strava which had my top speed of around 135kmh

« Reply #21598 on: 09 November, 2023, 08:45:56 am »
Left the house in (almost) full winter audax kit yesterday. only change was a short sleeve baselayer which I can wear under my work shirt, and only one pair of socks.
Then came home in most of it too, having ditched the waterproof and hat.
Wednesday night is weed night by the smell of many of the cars
It was dark and cold, I was full of cold and slow, the roads were wet. I'd tweaked my handlebar angle, as it's been slipping down, but failed to countertweak the front light, so I couldn't see as much of the road ahead as I'd have liked to and I may have inadvertently dazzled a few drivers. That might have explained the flashing from some of them. Naturally I responded with a hearty V sign. Oncoming drivers who didn't dip also got the Vs, if they failed to notice me flapping my hands at them.
Apologies to the driver who shouted through his window for me to put some lights on. I was fed up with being bossed around, so he got told where to go in short jerky movements, but then I checked and the rear light had inexplicably switched itself off. I'd definitely turned it on as a) I'd seen it flashing, and b) I'd heard it beeping... I think my apology was possibly a bit late.
It's not much consolation that I wasn't the only unlit cyclist. There were more out without lights than with.

« Reply #21599 on: 10 November, 2023, 06:03:27 pm »
Today I basically was too warm, weather forecast was around 5 degrees so had a light fleece under waterproof and reflective gillet and was too warm.

Other then a strava PB which was entirely down to hitting lights at right times nothing of note but done 4 out of 5 days this week so around 115km of cycling