Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518351 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21625 on: 03 January, 2024, 07:40:11 pm »
Back to the grind, took car yesterday due to yellow which became Amber weather warning for wind and predicted heavy rain. Neither had appeared by time got to work and would have had a 45mph tail wind on way home so bit gutted didn't ride

Today still pretty stiff wind so 19kph on way in and over 24kph average on way home. Highlight was it appeared the local council had been along the cycle path with a mini street sweeper as was broken car window glass on way in and cleared by time got home and was also a clear cleaned path

« Reply #21626 on: 08 January, 2024, 05:49:37 pm »
Apple Weather let me down - this morning it said no precipitation, and yet it was distinctly snowy on the way home. Might be a car job tomorrow...

« Reply #21627 on: 08 January, 2024, 07:43:48 pm »
Today wasn't fun. About 4km looked at dynamo light and wasn't working. Checked rear and nothing there either. Strangely the front would come back on dull but nothing in rear so clipped on emergency rear and on a few more occasions had to turn dull front light back on. Had a wiggle of some wires and took connector off wheel and refitted at work and worked fine all the way home. I suspect was getting just enough charge to recharge the capacitors for the standlight on way in.

Way in was also notable for speed which allowed me to correctly deduce the way home wouldn't be as fast so rode home into a brisk cold headwind with added sleet. It wasn't fun and was a struggle. Also moved a bit of fence out of a cut through I use which meant when wiped nose in glove shortly after had a face full of mud.

Hopefully won't be as windy tomorrow.

« Reply #21628 on: 09 January, 2024, 06:56:51 pm »
And another windy journey home. Honestly the headwind on home can do one now, even used more cycle path then usual as didnt have it in legs for mixing it up on some of the roads. Did have the novelty of passing around 30 cars, maybe more in a big traffic jam up the hill into Hatfield Peverel for those who are local. A bus had broken down and was causing havoc.

« Reply #21629 on: 15 January, 2024, 04:58:08 pm »
Well this mornings ride probably has two DOTD nominations for myself, well one really the others due to crap pavement. A beautiful clear morning with the sun far from risen but starting to illuminate the sky to the east, Venus shining brightly.......and it was chuffing cold

Then decided I'd scare myself.....twice

First time not really my fault come off a cycle path and due to traffic on a slip road carried on on the path for a bit longer. There's an access cover which has nearly caught me before but caught front wheel it in causing the bike to veer and lean left sharply but thankfully held upright

Then near work there's a cut through I use which the entrance to is hard to spot in the dark. About to swing up thr dropped kerb to access it when realise I'm about 15 metres too early and there's no dropped kerb. Managed to not crash into the kerb thankfully

Still glad I did cycle, a couple of people were late as defrosting cars and although definitely takes longer especially as need a full change of clothes at work it's not a huge amount when allowing time to defrost car and getting to work early enough for a space

« Reply #21630 on: 16 January, 2024, 09:58:05 am »
Blimey, that was cold! Back wheel slipped once or twice. Also need to invest in better thermal padded trousers! My sheepskin lined DM boots are the perfect winter cycling shoes, it seems - cosy toes all round.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21631 on: 16 January, 2024, 12:23:43 pm »
Got taken down at a T-junction when school run mum decided to abort as she was halfway through her turn and continued straight on. Dead front rim but most other stuff is ok. I love the school run.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21632 on: 16 January, 2024, 12:30:39 pm »
Bugger. Hope you're ok.

I'm on the P2W at the moment as my car is having some work done on it and I'm doing long days starting quite early so don't want to be out even earlier on the bicycle. This morning was sub-zero on the way in, but reasonably OK even on the dangerously dodgy twisty road I avoid during more sociable hours (there's a back gate down a safer road that's available during working hours +/- a bit).

Almost everyone else was late in due to traffic chaos, lots of cars in ditches including down the twisty road I'd navigated safely on two wheels about an hour earlier. People really are poor drivers down here.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21633 on: 16 January, 2024, 02:15:57 pm »
Just some bruises to grumble about.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21634 on: 18 January, 2024, 08:01:35 am »
Parky in that London today - huge numbers of cyclists though.

A glove recommendation:

https://www.galibier.cc/product/ardennes-light-winter-cycling-gloves/

These are remarkably good, at any price. Those plus a thin pair of merino liners are better than my Assos Ultras which cost nearly 4 times more. Having said that, I might have a dud pair of those Assos, as there are two finger ends that do not seem to be insulated.

« Reply #21635 on: 18 January, 2024, 08:51:24 am »
By eck that was chilly, listed as feeling like - 9 and would have been lower with cycle related wind chill

Glad to be on gritted roads or alongside gritted roads, water bottle top had frozen by time got to work

« Reply #21636 on: 18 January, 2024, 09:15:14 am »
Luckily I didn't cycle in today - heard from reception that there'd been an failure on the cycle gate onto the business park (you can use your access card to swipe through a gate at the back, which puts you into a small compound from where you have to use your card again to get into the main open business park or back outside). I've had it before where the outer gate wouldn't acceptmy card and I had to cycle around to the main entrance - adds about another 1.5 miles to the journey due to road layouts and having to backtrack, whereas there's only about 0.5 mile difference if you head to the main entrance directly. Anyway, some poor sod got through the outer gate, then the system failed and he got stuck in that compound until site services could send someone to break him free. Wouldn't be fun standing around in cycling kit in the freezing weather we had this morning.

« Reply #21637 on: 19 January, 2024, 01:58:36 pm »
My hands got very, very cold in the morning when it was -6°C. By the afternoon it was +2°C and I was fine with the same gloves.

In the evening this happened:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI63qR4j6IU
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #21638 on: 19 January, 2024, 04:54:43 pm »
Seemed marginally less cold this morning but a thick frost on all non gritted roads so rode rather gingerly

Home was milder but had a few close passes including a twat I think close passed me as I didn't let him out of a junction yesterday. Now it's light on way home will be running the helmet camera again

Probably gonna skive off and get a lift Monday with the forecast wind

« Reply #21639 on: 22 January, 2024, 10:05:01 am »
Warm but windy today.

How much wind is too much wind.  Does the BBC weather's black circle with 40 in it really mean 40mph winds?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #21640 on: 22 January, 2024, 12:13:56 pm »
Yes, it does mean speed in mph. The met office also show speed and gust speed separately (gust is higher).

As to how much is too much - if it is felling trees or lifting roofs, then probably set a little high. If it is againsterly (when you are cycling) then too much is probably well below the falling trees/destroying buildings level.

« Reply #21641 on: 22 January, 2024, 05:11:00 pm »
Got too warm into that headwind on the way back. It’s a gusty little number that requires care. Something more breathable on top tomorrow I think.

« Reply #21642 on: 23 January, 2024, 05:26:08 pm »
Back on it today, fairly mundane on way in although glad to be back on bike. However the wind certainly picked up on way home so after nearly getting taken out by a numpty turning into costa/KFC without indicating and stopping to help an little old lady who was having car issues absolutely smashed most my PBs on way home as felt good and had the tail wind.....the ride in tomorrow could be less fun but will try

« Reply #21643 on: 23 January, 2024, 06:57:15 pm »
Yesterday was my first commute since 28th November. Weather and medical issues wrote the rest of last year off and it's not exactly been cycling weather this year much either.
Today was my second commute of the year!  :thumbsup:

I'm not sure whether it's the lack of fitness or the headwind, but I could only register 17mph on the 'slow down you idiot' machine on the way into the village whereas I usually manage 20 (or even 21)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #21644 on: 23 January, 2024, 07:04:37 pm »
Warm but windy today.

How much wind is too much wind.  Does the BBC weather's black circle with 40 in it really mean 40mph winds?

If you've got the wind speed set to mph, yes.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21645 on: 24 January, 2024, 09:45:29 am »
On Friday it was -6C and my water bottle froze - not quite solid but thick enough slush that nothing would flow.
Today it was +10C and there was a bonkers tailwind.  All the traffic lights from Putney to Parliament Square turned green like God parting the Red Sea for Moses.  The 50 miles passed 40 minutes quicker.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #21646 on: 24 January, 2024, 11:41:05 am »
Back on the lanes route this morning as the temperature was well above zero, only to find another obstacle. The whole road was blocked by a fallen tree. It was a big tree and there was no practicable round or over, so had to turn round and take an alternative route. Jocelyn was fierce last night: I hadn't realised how fierce.

« Reply #21647 on: 25 January, 2024, 08:19:02 pm »
Skived off the ride again tomorrow as got the ends/sides of another named storm and didn't fancy a ride in 40 ish mph gusts

Back on it today. Got a little damp on way in but the mizzle and drizzle seemed to be making the big overhead power cables buzz

Didn't think was much wind on way home but ended up not that much slower then Tuesdays sail home. Annoyingly the wet has made the new cut through start to turn to mud. They really need to just sort a proper one and use bollards appropriately to stop cars being driven through

Was silly mild on way home so was actually sweating

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21648 on: 25 January, 2024, 09:03:15 pm »
On Friday it was -6C and my water bottle froze - not quite solid but thick enough slush that nothing would flow.
Today it was +10C and there was a bonkers tailwind.  All the traffic lights from Putney to Parliament Square turned green like God parting the Red Sea for Moses.  The 50 miles passed 40 minutes quicker.
That's quite a commute. Certainly earns the "Crazy" in "Crazy English Triathlete"!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21649 on: 26 January, 2024, 02:01:05 pm »
That's quite a commute. Certainly earns the "Crazy" in "Crazy English Triathlete"!

It's not done every day or even every week, although that was the third this year.  Saves £49.80 in train fares which is enough to keep Mr Shimano in business for the wear and tear on the machine.  I also found (in retrospect) that it was good training for PBP.  The last 20 miles on the way back are into the prevailing wind and can often test the ETA sent to Mrs CET - so management of physical and mental resources is essential - and meant that I spent pretty much all of PBP in a comfort zone.

In summer I take a route south of Woking which is 56 miles in and go back via Ascot which is 53.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)