Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518814 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #2850 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:13:11 am »
Fast ride this morning.

It just flowed, and it was great. :)
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #2851 on: 07 October, 2010, 12:45:28 pm »
Late commute due to over-sleepage.  Almost left-hooked.  I'd been stopped in the ASL, having got to the light just as it changed to red.  I moved off and it was the second car in the queue that tried to go round me then thought better of it (I was halfway across the junction by then).

« Reply #2852 on: 07 October, 2010, 05:09:16 pm »
I've had a stange niggling handling issue for a few days now. Lifting the bike to move it today I felt the rear wheel move. It turns out that the rear wheel nuts are both loose. The chain tugs have been doing a good job though!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2853 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:15:01 pm »
Grand ride home, too.  Then a trip out to TGL's first turbo training of the season.  Marvellous.
Getting there...

« Reply #2854 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:44:46 pm »
Chaintugs FTW!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #2855 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:25:38 pm »
Fast ride this morning.

It just flowed, and it was great. Smiley

Looks like the painfull commute on the 14kg folding Mountain bike may be paying off, took my Spech racer today and hit 27mph and averaged just under 18mph for the 7.3 mile ride from strarford station to the BT tower, it would have been faster were it not for the 17+ traffic lights that killed my 19+ mph average when i got past bow church, just can't lower my self to become a RL'B'J-er  O:-)
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2856 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:39:03 am »
Good one.  I had another really good ride this morning.  Actually, it was faster because of RLJing.

Not mine, I hasten to add, but I was passed by a dickhead on a Boardman hopping a kerb at Clapham Common to avoid stopping at a pedestrian crossing.  The pavement had a mother and some kids (one on a bike) who had just crossed the road.  He pissed me off, and I called him a failure.

He jumped a further five red lights, which I stopped at, and he stopped at one more.  But I chased him down repeatedly (and he  wasn't slow :( ).

Twit.
Getting there...

« Reply #2857 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:42:14 am »
Closest I've come to a major crunch.

Coming round a two-lane roundabout. Me in outside lane, dump truck in inside lane alongside me.

Coming off roundabout to two-lane road. Truck pulled across both lanes and cut the corner, smacking the kerb. I hauled on brakes; it was wet and very foggy so they didn't work well. Only just managed to stop before he hit me. Bloody cockwomble.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2858 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:54:13 am »

Coming round a two-lane roundabout. Me in outside lane, dump truck in inside lane alongside me.

Coming off roundabout to two-lane road. Truck pulled across both lanes and cut the corner, smacking the kerb. I hauled on brakes; it was wet and very foggy so they didn't work well. Only just managed to stop before he hit me. Bloody cockwomble.

'Orrible thing and glad you're safe. Not entirely sure if you were in nearside or offside (sounds like nearside). Without wishing to make it sound anything like your fault I'd just say that
dump truck in inside lane alongside me.
is at the heart of it and why I always adjust my speed to be either behind or in front. My maxim is "don't be where the accident could happen". He is entirely at fault but no comfort in the worst event.

« Reply #2859 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:56:21 am »
Private hire car objected to me using the whole left hand lane in primary rather than just the miniature cycle lane when crossing Vauxhall Bridge (towards Vauxhall). Close pass and a generous use of the horn despite the lane next to him being empty. I wasn't going slowly either, 20mph+ the entire time I was on the bridge.

Caught up with him at the lights at Vauxhall and he shrunk in his seat as I enquired as to what the fuck he was thinking. "Aggressive, impatient and ignorant of the highway code; not the best three qualities for a professional driver?"

Can't remember all of the number plate but given that silly season is kind of upon us I might just start using the helmet camera again.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2860 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:59:30 am »

'Orrible thing and glad you're safe. Not entirely sure if you were in nearside or offside (sounds like nearside). Without wishing to make it sound anything like your fault I'd just say that
is at the heart of it and why I always adjust my speed to be either behind or in front. My maxim is "don't be where the accident could happen". He is entirely at fault but no comfort in the worst event.

I was in the outer lane of the roundabout.

I normally use big vehicles as 'armour' on the premise that they form a block between me and the cars (when there are multiple lanes).  This incident was just a driver cockup; they would have crunched a car if it had been there. Just a smidsy really. But could have been nasty.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2861 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:00:07 am »
Last night in a queue of traffic in Tooting Broadway, I was pipped by a truck driver behind.  He was blocking the turn into a side road, which was holding up the traffic coming the other way, and I guess he wanted to get out of the way.

Fair enough.  I'd left a bit of a gap in front of me to the next car, so I moved up.

One metre.

The truck was still blocking the way.  And, after we'd moved off, the next time he stopped, he was blocking another turn :facepalm:
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2862 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:00:59 am »
Glad you're still with us, mrcharly.  I recognise the kind of incident, and it happens pretty frequently round here.  London drivers have no idea what a lane is.
Getting there...

« Reply #2863 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:06:29 am »

I was in the outer lane of the roundabout.

I normally use big vehicles as 'armour' on the premise that they form a block between me and the cars (when there are multiple lanes).  This incident was just a driver cockup; they would have crunched a car if it had been there. Just a smidsy really. But could have been nasty.

Yup, know what you mean (and you were in the nearside) about the armour feeling, but given that a large number of the most dangerous accidents are on the nearside of HGV, I'd say that's one place not to be (as you found out). YMMV.

« Reply #2864 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:12:56 am »
Probably. I usually hang back a bit so I exit off their rear right corner. Didn't in this case because the lanes are so wide at the junction.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2865 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:58:55 am »
Beautiful golden sky from the low sun this morning.  Thin mist over the Culm Valley

Another few weeks and I will be catching the actual sunrise

Much warmer than yesterday

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #2866 on: 08 October, 2010, 08:48:53 pm »
To the female cyclist(Dark Red hair, pony-tail) I was following after Bloomsbury way just after 4pm(west-end London) Do you know that your lycra leggings are totally see-thought around the whole of your bottom, and could see that the very small thong you had on only just covered your......errrhh modesty.
When we pulled away from the lights, the taxi driver in the pink cab looked at me as to say wayhay :thumbsup:
Thank you for making my commute home so much more enjoyable ;D
Just need to get Mrs Andyf on a bike with see thought leggings and a thong a life know!!!!!!!!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

« Reply #2867 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:44:52 am »
To the female cyclist(Dark Red hair, pony-tail) I was following after Bloomsbury way just after 4pm(west-end London) Do you know that your lycra leggings are totally see-thought around the whole of your bottom, and could see that the very small thong you had on only just covered your......errrhh modesty.
When we pulled away from the lights, the taxi driver in the pink cab looked at me as to say wayhay :thumbsup:
Thank you for making my commute home so much more enjoyable ;D
Just need to get Mrs Andyf on a bike with see thought leggings and a thong a life know!!!!!!!!

I see this a surprising number of times over the week. A hope ! also shines straight through some lycra!

« Reply #2868 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:45:28 am »
I saw one of these http://www.carradice.co.uk/product_images/20091006162210-large-4-628.jpg
 for the first time today.
Very classy.

Fi

« Reply #2869 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:50:02 am »
Front wheel looks a bit flat, or maybe he's got lead in his carradice

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2870 on: 11 October, 2010, 10:00:39 am »
Back on my fixie for the first time in around 4 weeks.  Missed it :)
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2871 on: 11 October, 2010, 10:04:18 am »
Friday legs on a Monday? ???
Getting there...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2872 on: 11 October, 2010, 10:09:11 am »
Friday legs on a Monday? ???
Checked the wind direction?  It was a bit blowy today.  I had a very easy run in.  I shall pay for it this evening tho'.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2873 on: 11 October, 2010, 10:11:34 am »
I cleaned my bike on saturday
It was bizarrely shiney this morning

« Reply #2874 on: 11 October, 2010, 10:31:56 am »
Sooo glad I had the recumbent for this weekend's commute.  Down in the wind shear and excellent aerodynamics means the wind hardly matters.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.