Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2524713 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #4400 on: 08 February, 2011, 11:50:38 am »
Not the first time that me and the bike have arrived at work covered in a thin film of ice, but it was the first time that I couldn't get my jacket off because the zip was frozen solid.

Better than driving tho'.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4401 on: 08 February, 2011, 12:21:02 pm »
Can I be allowed back in the club, please? 

You were never really out of it :D

It sure felt like it, especially while walking in from Whitechapel and watching all the cyclists travelling along what will become CS2.*

I'm hoping tonight's wind will be as benign as this morning's.

* My borough has blocked CS2. >:(  Knowing the roads involved, I doubt it would be as good as CS7, and *I* don't need a 'facility' along those roads, but a lot of people would benefit from it.  CS3 does run through my borough, but consists entirely of a re-painted pre-existing pavement route.  Hmm... CS3 is OK and happens to not actually be on any roads; CS2 would be road based and has been blocked.  Coincidence?

Sorry for the rant-ette

Are you Tower Hamlets, me dear?

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4402 on: 08 February, 2011, 12:22:56 pm »
Last night after work, I cycled down to Conway Hall for a "Stop the War Coalition" meeting in support of Julian Assange.  Early on, near Ladbroke Grove, I stopped to see if a cyclist, who was sitting on the pavement and examining his bike, needed any help or tools (he was fine, just worried about the rattling noise the bike had started to make).  I didn't bother getting back into lycra before setting off, which seemed to boggle one chap on a road bike on Gower Street, who kept looking at my yellow track bike, then my civvies, then back again in some state of confusion.  I think he was even wondering if I had nicked the bike, but then he saw the Specalized MTB shoes on my feet.  And was still perturbed.

After the meeting and several drinks, I went East along Clerkenwell Road, turned on to Farringdon Road and just let rip, stopping only for the lights, keeping up a hell of a pace all the way down to Camberwell New Road (oh, and shame on you, Mr Lycra-clad Roadie, for jumping the lights there just to finally pull away; if I ever meet you while I'm sober and in Lycra, you're toast).  Once again, found myself wishing my regular commute offered that much fun.

This morning's commute was much more fun than usual, because I still had the memory of last night's racing in my bones.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4403 on: 08 February, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »

No, even worse than that.  Newham.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #4404 on: 08 February, 2011, 01:06:56 pm »
Hit some ice today - and pulled on the front brake as I hit it.

Didn't matter though - I was on the trike  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4405 on: 08 February, 2011, 01:13:03 pm »

It sure felt like it, especially while walking in from Whitechapel and watching all the cyclists travelling along what will become CS2.*

I'm hoping tonight's wind will be as benign as this morning's.

* My borough has blocked CS2. >:(  Knowing the roads involved, I doubt it would be as good as CS7, and *I* don't need a 'facility' along those roads, but a lot of people would benefit from it.  CS3 does run through my borough, but consists entirely of a re-painted pre-existing pavement route.  Hmm... CS3 is OK and happens to not actually be on any roads; CS2 would be road based and has been blocked.  Coincidence?

Sorry for the rant-ette

My observation is that it appears to have worsened the situation on the Mile End Road. Previously, I don't think there were many problems on that stretch. Of course, there were the created pinch points for the pedestrian crossings that could have been designed out by making the crossing in one go, rather than staged. Given the massive width of the pavement (and the few pedestrians, it would have been simple to increase the width - simple, but costly. So instead they used a can of paint in Magic Blue shade.

Previously, drivers almost universally kept out of the cycle lane (except when they were going to turn left, so it was obviously important for them to drive hugging the kerb for 100m, just in case the car in front's width suddenly shrunk by a foot or so and let them squeeze through). Now, it is just impossible for two lanes of traffic and the CYCLE SUPERHIGHWAY to fit in that space, so drivers just take up a random position, mostly closer to the kerb than they would with the previous cycle lane. I've taken to riding down the middle, but I hate it there, on that stretch, and return to the left after the last crossing pinch point. In fact, I have noticed there IS something magical about a normal cycle lane, too, as when a car gets to the end of one it is mysteriously pulled in to the left, even if there is no need for the driver to be there.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4406 on: 08 February, 2011, 01:31:16 pm »

No, even worse than that.  Newham.

Ahh. Sorry.  :(

Si_Co

« Reply #4407 on: 08 February, 2011, 01:47:42 pm »
This was going to be in the rant thread but the outcome made me laugh so hard I cried.

To the silly cow in the Clio:

IF you had not squeezed me against the kerb as you moved between me and the traffic waiting to turn right I would not have been trying to chase you down at full blown sprint whilst screaming abuse at you, IF you had been paying attention to where you were going instead of looking in your mirror at me and trying to escape you would not have ploughed into the back of WVM at the roundabout without even braking.

I did notice that you looked a lot less then pleased when i offered told this to WVM and commented that "Your crazy overtake has saved you so much time. Enjoy your ride in a recovery truck!" as i pedalled off.

Now that's poetic justice.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #4408 on: 08 February, 2011, 02:31:46 pm »
An old git in a minicab just drove straight into the back of me. I was stopped, foot down, behind a huge great tipper lorry on Deptford Church St waiting at the Deptford Bridge lights. Right in the middle of the lane, in bright red Altura reflectives. The git hit my bike, my bike hit me, and I went down.

Minor grazing, ripped trousers, police presence.

Now off to hospital for something entirely unrelated. I wonder if the consultant will write me a note for damages...
Not especially helpful or mature

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4409 on: 08 February, 2011, 02:53:34 pm »

it's karma son ;)
hope you are calmer now also ;D

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4410 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:30:48 pm »
An old git in a minicab just drove straight into the back of me. I was stopped, foot down, behind a huge great tipper lorry on Deptford Church St waiting at the Deptford Bridge lights. Right in the middle of the lane, in bright red Altura reflectives. The git hit my bike, my bike hit me, and I went down.

Minor grazing, ripped trousers, police presence.

Now off to hospital for something entirely unrelated. I wonder if the consultant will write me a note for damages...

Oh holy f*ck, how are you feeling now? Did the stupid old git stop even?  >:( >:(

HTFB

« Reply #4411 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:42:26 pm »
An old git in a minicab just drove straight into the back of me.

Oh holy f*ck, how are you feeling now? Did the stupid old git stop even?  >:( >:(

Oh, I'm fine. Pain around the graze: I really ought to stop and clean it up. The driver was stopping a perfectly sensible distance behind the lorry in front of me---except that I happened to be occupying that space. So a very low-speed impact. He couldn't go anywhere 'cause I left the bike in the road in front of his bumper. The police checked his insurance, told him off for not taking due care with the sun in his eyes, and suggested I'd get further at Small Claims if there was verifiable damage to the bike as well as to me and my clothing. The bike is pretty battered but I don't think I can pin any of that on him  ;)

("Your honour, my claim in damages is for a new chain, 8-speed block and chainrings. Also for a split outer to the front gear cable. I could do with a new pair of trousers too, but I shall not press the trousers")

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4412 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:48:50 pm »
But you are injured.
Getting there...

HTFB

« Reply #4413 on: 08 February, 2011, 05:58:21 pm »
Yes, but having waited until the police turned up and gave him the grade 2(ii) bollocking he deserved, and cost him half an hour of his time with a fare in the back, I am experiencing a great wave of ICBA.

(TCP stings, though. Can I get him for the pain and distress?)

« Reply #4414 on: 08 February, 2011, 07:49:28 pm »
(TCP stings, though. Can I get him for the pain and distress?)

Yes!

I got $$$$ for distress after a very slow impact which was so severe I went on to ride a further 450km.

He hit you, his driving was dangerous, you and your bike were damaged.

If you have bodywork damage on a car from an impact, you claim. Why do we belittle the damage when it's a bike that scratched, dinted, scuffed?

« Reply #4415 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:12:09 pm »
I know it's a hassle, but pretty please claim from him?  It's about the only consequence he will get, and if he does, it might make him take care around the rest of us and better avoid a collision in future.

@Si_Co  You are the BOMB!!!  Love it, now where's the helmet camera footage?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #4416 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:15:24 pm »
This was going to be in the rant thread but the outcome made me laugh so hard I cried.

To the silly cow in the Clio:

IF you had not squeezed me against the kerb as you moved between me and the traffic waiting to turn right I would not have been trying to chase you down at full blown sprint whilst screaming abuse at you, IF you had been paying attention to where you were going instead of looking in your mirror at me and trying to escape you would not have ploughed into the back of WVM at the roundabout without even braking.

I did notice that you looked a lot less then pleased when i offered told this to WVM and commented that "Your crazy overtake has saved you so much time. Enjoy your ride in a recovery truck!" as i pedalled off.

Wonderful  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4417 on: 08 February, 2011, 10:20:05 pm »
The Met will do precisely Nothing about the dangerous driving by a cabbie, so only by claiming (deservedly) on his insurance will he learn the lesson he should have got as a toddler that actions have consequences.

Just do it.  It's not wrong.
Getting there...

Si_Co

« Reply #4418 on: 09 February, 2011, 08:40:43 am »

@Si_Co  You are the BOMB!!!  Love it, now where's the helmet camera footage?

;D Sorry Wendy don't do the camera thing.

Today a very pleasant pootle in but a bit over-dressed. Where did all that heat come from? It was bleedin freezin last night when I went out training.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4419 on: 09 February, 2011, 09:04:58 am »
What a joy!  OK, so there were a lot of motor vehicles, but what a cohort of cyclists passing along CS7!  I counted about two dozen at Oval, and they kept coming in.  Heading towards E&C, I was part of a large peloton travelling seamlessly together at about 30kph.

Perfect moments. :)
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #4420 on: 09 February, 2011, 09:57:11 am »
Was pulling into Thurston Road in Lewisham and spotted a cyclist lying down on the pavement with another cyclist to hand. Turns out he had been hit by a silver Merc so I asked him if he had the registration details to which he started reciting it out loud. I got out pen and paper, took down the details as well as letting him know about 'Roadsafe'. The other cyclist had seen the incident so he wrote down his details. I then called 999 for an ambulance, as his knee was badly borked. Two of his colleagues pull in, turns out he works for Lewisham College so they locked his bike up at the scene. The other cyclist promised to stay with him so I pulled away and as I was wending through Bermondsey the same cyclist pulled in alongside me and said that a paramedics and an ambulance had turned up!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4421 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:00:51 am »
:thumbsup:  Good people keep the world civilised :)
Getting there...

« Reply #4422 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:04:35 am »
Yeah, top work!!   :thumbsup:
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

HTFB

« Reply #4423 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:15:46 am »
Was pulling into Thurston Road in Lewisham and spotted a cyclist lying down on the pavement with another cyclist to hand. Turns out he had been hit by a silver Merc so I asked him if he had the registration details to which he started reciting it out loud.
This silver Merc wasn't a Kompressor with a private-hire badge by any chance, was it? I've texted you the numberplate of the vehicle that hit me near there yesterday.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4424 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:39:15 am »
That was a bit of a rough blowy commute home yesterday. Why is it that I get the headwind when I'm in a hurry and have been slowed up getting out of work?

For the same reason I got a p*nct*r* in similar circumstances the other night. And again last night.

I shall be ritually burning an inner tube later to appease the cycling gods for whatever it is I've done to upset them.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."