Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519955 times)

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #9900 on: 09 May, 2012, 08:05:16 pm »
Dressed up in full waterproofs today to not quite get rained on. It were warm, and I got wet inside the waterproofs instead.
About 5 miles into this mornings ride, there was a ping from the rear wheel, and it went a little bit - 'wonky'.
Nevermind, it was rideable, and on the non drive side, so I fixed it when I got home, without disassembling the bike.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9901 on: 09 May, 2012, 09:13:48 pm »
Great ride home tonight.
Left work at lunchtime, as I needed to take kids to an athletics event.

The often-times 3 hour ride back to 2:35, which is where it should be.
17.25 on the climb, which is respectable enough.   Happy with that.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/176445955

It's annoying that the lap splits don't show where they occour on the map.
I used the lap timer function to time myself on the climb.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9902 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:37:58 am »
Set off from home 6am in mizzle.  Got to Clapham Common in 30min, which is good by my standards, and Waterloo in 50min.

- Waterloo?  Your commute doesn't go past there!

Ah, but it did today. On to Kings Cross, in fact, then, after a bit of confusion about a one way not marked on the map, up Caledonian Rd, past the Emirates stadium, through Finsbury Park, and on to Hornsey, where I delivered an important form to ERS which needed to be in by lunchtime today.

Looking at the map for this trip, I'd noticed the proximity of Alexandra Palace.  Just been reading about this in Stuart Maconie's latest book, so I thought I'd have to visit.

Well.  Could have been easier.  Hard to find the route through to the Park (a kind local schoolboy helped me :thumbsup: ), then the paths I'd hoped to ride on turned out to be completely fenced off.  I roughstuffed along the fence, only to realise it was blocked off down the hill as well. :(

I almost despaired of getting to see the Palace, but I felt I couldn't leave it there, so I backtracked, found a path I could ride which took me to a bastard hill with Vauxhalls speeding by and vans pushing through pinch points.  Lovely.  But I grimped to the Palace, and stopped, turning to admire the wonderful view Maconie writes of.

Well, I'm sure it is lovely, but it wasn't apparent this morning.  All I saw was the houses in the vale disappearing into mist and another wave of light rain.

Never mind.  Job done.  And enough time wasted.  So off to work find a toilet first.  I spied a small pavilion and made my way there.  Nope.  All locked up. 

Emerging from between the two old corrugated sheds next to the Pitch & Putt, where I'd *ahem* sheltered out of the wind to refold my map, I remounted, and then rode up the steepest bit of tarmac I've seen South of Ashbourne.  I dismounted when my front wheel left the ground, but I was pleased with how far I got.

Down the hill, over to Crouch End, and off to town!  I had known it would be rush hour by the time I was heading back south.  And I knew that I would be going back ino the wind which had been so kind previously.  And I knew that North London is much lumpier than my ridiculously flat commute Sahf of the river.  But I hadn't counted on the radial roads being quite so indecisive in their ambition to get to the City.  Nor quite the weight of traffic.  It seems car/bus ratios are much higher in the North compared to, say, Streatham or Clapham.  Oh - and the lack of bus lanes is a PITA, too.  Poor sods up there, commuting every day through that lot.  I didn't really get a clear bit of road till I got to Farringdon Road, where I managed to zoom down the bus lanes.

I knew by now I was going to be late.  Not just later than when i normally come in the door, but probably late for my start time even before I got changed.  That's offset by regular early mornings, so I don't mind.  But, as I rolled closer to work, I had a dilemma.  I was almost up to 50km, and on 19.9kph.  If I sprinted, I'd be frustratingly short on distance and speed.  But if I added a short loop, I'd be a minute late.  Of course, I chose the latter option.

North London's all right for a visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. ;D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9903 on: 10 May, 2012, 03:56:30 pm »
This rain better be done with within the hour, or I will not be amused.  Nor will the poor wronged cyclist riding home on a child's saddle. :(
Getting there...

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #9904 on: 10 May, 2012, 05:35:46 pm »
I love my cape

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #9905 on: 10 May, 2012, 07:12:21 pm »
I love my cape

Flew home over the rain clouds, I assume.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9906 on: 10 May, 2012, 09:16:41 pm »
Well, it had certainly stopped raining by the time I left work. But the wind was still a right sod. Almost got blown to a standstill on Camberwell Rd.

At least it was warm. Muggy, in fact. Mucho sweatio.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9907 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:10:51 pm »
This rain better be done with within the hour, or I will not be amused. 

Oh ha bloody ha.  I didn't mean to swap it for a howling bloody gale >:(

But I had an odd commute this evening.  I dashed home (as much as dashing was possible in that direction) and fetched the replacement saddle for the tandem.  Then turned around and enjoyed the tailwind wafting me up the hill to Streatham.  I met Butterfly near Tulse Hill flats, where we effected a swap (you get good overtaking with a long seatpost casually projecting from your saddlebag), and rode slowly home back into the wind.

As we approached home, I realised that I was getting close to 100km for the day, so I went off on our training loop, and made both morning and evening commutes a shade over 50km each.  With a lunchtime butty run of 2km, I'm happy with that. :)
Getting there...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #9908 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:15:30 pm »
I nearly had the third accident in six months this morning.  It is a long time since I relied upon cantilever brakes.  I have an up and down undulating route on my commute. The weather this week has been mostly drizziling so the brake pad wear has been significant.  Today I had no problem for the first two third of the ride.  I was riding down a short shallow hill in Pencoed.  At the bottom a car had illegally stopped on double yellow lines.  A car was legally coming on the other side of the road so I could not pull out to go around. So braking was the option.  To my surprise I pulled the levers and no retardation. I pulled into the gutter, jumped off the pedals straddling the bike still squeezing the brake levers I manged to bring myself to a stop with my front wheel overlapping the back of car on the inside. I had no further to go as the car was tight into kerb to unload a passenger.

I inspected the brakes and noticed considerable wear.  I decided the best thing to do was to catch the train home.  Tomorrow I will move the brakes in and Saturday buy some new blocks.

Wonky

« Reply #9909 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:37:24 pm »

Wind? What wind?

In other news, on my northward journey today, I was on top form.  :demon:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9910 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:40:51 pm »
;D Chapeau!
Getting there...

Si_Co

« Reply #9911 on: 11 May, 2012, 07:56:19 am »
Having nice ride home until about 1.5 miles from the asylum and was passed stupidly close by a sign written silver van whose driver was texting and whose office just so happens to be at the end of the road.

After parking the bike up at home i went round and had a chat with the guy's boss who looked decidedly uninterested until I gave him my works email address and he realised he's just quoted for a large service contract with us, at which point he became all sweetness and light. We await developments with interest.

Result, had two email's, one from the the driver giving a profuse apology and another from the boss to say that they are booking a two day road safety course for all drivers including practical cycle safety and they have to give up a Saturday to attend, happy with that really.

Cracking tailwind today, really good fun.

fuzzy

« Reply #9912 on: 11 May, 2012, 08:50:09 am »
Yesterday I experienced a miracle on the way home. Rain ceased just before I left and stayed ceased until after I got home. Still wet though cos, as mentioned above, muggy so I sweated like the pig I am :D

This morning was glorious. Nice sunny ride. Wide overtakes by everyone that had to.

« Reply #9913 on: 11 May, 2012, 11:49:41 am »
First proper commute for a long time.  First half mile was cloudy then 7 and a bit  more miles of glourious sunshine, as I pottered through Buckinghamshiore back roads and on to Aylesbury station, with all car overtakes (overtaking me) except for one being remarkably good, and even the bad one was tolerable. The hill formerly known as 'nemesis hill' was surprisingly easy.  ;D

Looking forward to the ride home.  :)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

citoyen

« Reply #9914 on: 11 May, 2012, 11:57:51 am »
Nice moment this morning when I timed hitting a roundabout perfectly to slot in behind a truck, so got a nice tow for the next half a mile or so at about 45km/h... uphill!  8)

Almost made up for being a bit slower than usual on the rest of the ride due to the fecking headwind, as a result of which I missed the early train by about a minute. Grrr.

Lovely warm, sunny morning for a ride though. Actually felt more like early summer rather than [very] late winter for a change. Glorious.

d.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9915 on: 11 May, 2012, 01:51:20 pm »
Taking the bike home tonight instead of the train
I can see blue sky and sunshine outside at the moment  :thumbsup:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9916 on: 11 May, 2012, 01:56:53 pm »
I can see only black clouds and heavy rain.
Looks like I'm in for a soaking.

ETA: Yup, hail and rain over the hill.
But neck nice and warm with new buff, and legs and bum in luxurious new Assos comfort  ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #9917 on: 11 May, 2012, 02:04:12 pm »

S'only water and skin is waterproof :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9918 on: 11 May, 2012, 02:42:10 pm »

But at least it is Saturday tomorrow!!

citoyen

« Reply #9919 on: 11 May, 2012, 04:08:55 pm »
Here in Southwark, it's sunny and warm and the wind direction is favouring the long way home.  :thumbsup:

What's the betting it will all change in the next two hours...

d.

« Reply #9920 on: 11 May, 2012, 04:53:50 pm »
First commute for a fortnight. Shorts, no jacket.  Wasn't sure that was the right choice when I set out, but I was fine once I got going.
The longer of my two commute in routes.  I can tell I've not been getting the exercise in of late!
But there are advantages to working away from base--POETS day!  :thumbsup: So a longer ride home than usual!
Shame the next time I'll be on the bike is Thursday  :-\

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wonky

« Reply #9921 on: 11 May, 2012, 07:23:09 pm »

Wind? What wind?

In other news, on my northward journey today, I was on top form.  :demon:

I really need to watch my mouth. Had a howling south-westerly on my way in this morning, which switched to a north-westerly for my way home. Felt like someone had put sand in my bearings.

« Reply #9922 on: 11 May, 2012, 08:44:38 pm »
A rather strong ride in and a tougher ride home. Nothing to do with the prevailing wind  :P

But both rides were good and no particular numptiness from the other road users.

And even though the ride home felt a bit slow I only took 1h20 which is about average if not a tad faster.

Plus I got home to find my YACF buff had arrived  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #9923 on: 12 May, 2012, 07:10:11 am »
Clear blue skies and a tailwind this morning  ;D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #9924 on: 12 May, 2012, 09:09:45 am »
Apparently I hit 51mph on my Pugsley today.

Well I think the iPhone is pretty accurate :)