Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518765 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #10225 on: 12 June, 2012, 10:26:00 pm »
I never thought I'd find myself writing the following sentence:

I am so pleased to have a bike with mdgrds.

Gah! I can't even bring myself to write it.

It's a slippery slope.  Next thing you know you'll be fitting a rack and checking out the latest in sandals. ;)

I don't think so, somehow....

« Reply #10226 on: 13 June, 2012, 10:43:39 am »
Had a big argument with a woman driving a Lexus 400h one of the gigantic hybrid 4x4s.
She was just crawling towards Albert Bridge and then speeding up and slowing to crawl again. When I caught up to her, I found that she was reading a text on her I phone, so I banged on her window - parhaps not the best thing to do, but at least it made her jump out of her reverie and pay attention to the world around her for a moment.

Of course she went ballistic at me for hitting her car.
We exchanged a few choice opinions her mainly about me having the temerity to touch her car, me mainly about her lack of driving skills.

All this whilst stationary in the road, so loads of cars hooting and puzzled cyclists riding past.

Eventually I tried to ride off, but she rolled forwards to block my entrance onto the bridge, which didn't work because I was able to bunny hop the kerb and ride on anyway, but she'd rolled too far forwards and had to back up to line up for the lane restrictor, which needed the guy behind her to reverse as well.

I was almost to the other side of the bridge before she caught me and made the obligatory punishment pass.

I simply rode around the other side of her, down to the head of the queue and off into the traffic.

I must give her credit for the last words: "Why don't you fuck off back to your own borough!"

« Reply #10227 on: 13 June, 2012, 11:20:42 am »
Oooh, Alex! You hothead!   :P  :thumbsup:  ;D

More srsly, well done for telling her off.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

spindrift

« Reply #10228 on: 13 June, 2012, 11:24:41 am »
"Why don't you fuck off back to your own borough!"

Baffled.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10229 on: 13 June, 2012, 11:30:28 am »
Well, the North end of Albert Bridge is the natural home for Chelsea Tractors.
Getting there...

Si_Co

« Reply #10230 on: 13 June, 2012, 12:14:10 pm »
12 miles turned into 14 today. Must try to pay attention to where I'm going  ::-)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10231 on: 13 June, 2012, 02:01:01 pm »

Baffled.

a clear illustration of the "them & us" attitude too many motorists adopt.Particularly those with their heads up their arses mobile phones in their hands.

« Reply #10232 on: 13 June, 2012, 05:03:22 pm »

Baffled.

a clear illustration of the "them & us" attitude too many motorists adopt.Particularly those with their heads up their arses mobile phones in their hands.

Yep. We're not talking about the sort of person who props the phone on the steering wheel in their eyeline. We're talking about someine holding the phone in their left hand about 45 degrees off the sight line and looking off to her left whilst driving along in a (nearly) straight line. Very slowly (because that's always safer in a 2 tonne vehicle in traffic). I assume she must have been long sighted and needed the phone a certain distance from her eyes to be able to clearly see the screen.

I'm sure she's told all of her friends about how ghastly I was.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10233 on: 13 June, 2012, 05:53:07 pm »
I saw a chap composing a text message while driving this morning, only he was doing it the "Old School" way - with a notepad and pen!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10234 on: 13 June, 2012, 06:51:00 pm »
Retro!
Getting there...

« Reply #10235 on: 14 June, 2012, 07:16:38 am »
DNF

Fortunately not too much damage to me after ending up in the back of a parked car.

« Reply #10236 on: 14 June, 2012, 07:23:17 am »
Ouch !

Pleased to hear that you are mostly OK.  Shame about the bike.

Am I correct in thinking that the broken handlebars were the cause rather than the effect?

« Reply #10237 on: 14 June, 2012, 07:28:36 am »
Ow!

Glad you're ok.

Did the bar break before you hit the parked car?
EDIT: Same question as before.....
I see the answer is here.
Scary.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #10238 on: 14 June, 2012, 07:41:48 am »
I replied in the other thread before I saw this one, this one seems more appropriate as I have no idea why the bars have failed so catastrophically.

Glad to hear you are ok, though you must have really clattered the car at some speed to have bent the frame like that.

That really is a terrifying photo, the kind that gives me nightmares.

Look after yourself.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

citoyen

On the commute today
« Reply #10239 on: 14 June, 2012, 09:34:03 am »
Yikes, Ham, that's nasty. Haven't read the other thread yet but hope you're ok.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #10240 on: 14 June, 2012, 11:19:59 am »
On a lighter note, my commute this morning was... fun!

My normal commute routine at the moment is the short dash to the station (4.5km), get the train to Bromley, then ride in the rest of the way (16-18km depending on route). Thing is, I can only do that if I get the early train, and I wasn't able to do that this morning.

However, it was too gorgeous to miss out on a ride altogether, so I extended the station dash to ride to Faversham (12km, with sea views 8) ). And because I made good time, I then decided to plough on to Teynham, to round it up to 18km.

Got there to discover that the train I was planning to catch doesn't actually stop at Teynham...  :facepalm:

This meant I had no option but to press on to Sittingbourne - another 7km away by the most direct route, and only 12 minutes until the train was due... Hammer time!

And I made it. Just! Arrived at Sittingbourne station just as the train was pulling in.

Average overall speed about 31km/h, which is the fastest I've ever done that route on fixed by some margin. And something like 35km/h average for that last 7km, which is very spinny on a 65" gear. I think I need to gear up a bit.

I also made a new friend along the way. I first saw him on the road some way ahead of me crossing the Graveney marshes. He was too quick for me to close him down on the open road, but I'd almost caught him on the twisty bit through Faversham before I had to turn off. But as I was climbing Bysing Wood Rd, I heard a bike coming up behind me, glanced round and it was him - he obviously doesn't know the back roads of Faversham like I do. He was on his way to Sittingbourne - doing it for his commute for the first time, so well done him - and we rode together and chatted as far as Teynham. I did briefly toy with the idea of sticking with him all the way to Sittingbourne but thought I didn't have time. Ironic, really.  ;D

Overall... Cracking ride. Lots of fun.

d.

Si_Co

« Reply #10241 on: 14 June, 2012, 01:00:32 pm »
Slow today average of 16 mph, was quite stiff breeze really, managed to take all the correct turnings on my new route that was discovered prior to my hols.

citoyen

« Reply #10242 on: 14 June, 2012, 01:40:04 pm »
Slow today average of 16 mph, was quite stiff breeze really

It did occur to me that my ride this morning might have been slightly wind-assisted, though it felt like a headwind in places. Will see if I'm as fast on the way home in the opposite direction...

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10243 on: 14 June, 2012, 02:34:10 pm »
Flippin eck, Ham! :o  That's an impressive bit of metal bending, and I'm pleased you're still with us after that.

citoyen, you just get faster and faster.  It's a bit scary.  One day, you'll be so fast you'll start braking in North Kent and finally come to a stop outside my house.  Come in for a cup of tea, though, won't you? ;D
Getting there...

plum

« Reply #10244 on: 14 June, 2012, 05:16:39 pm »
Yowser, that's a big one Ham.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #10245 on: 14 June, 2012, 08:50:50 pm »
Puncture - rear wheel on the fixie, natch, in the process of replacing the tube I was 'assisted' by a couple of street drinkers.
Two beeps and an indecipherable but nontheless terrifying shout on the A52.
Two very close passes - one due to carelessness (texting suspected), the other to aggression/impatience.
Caught at both sets of level-crossings.
All into the strongest headwind this year.

Worst commute I can remember. Is it a full moon, or is there some football on somewhere. Or has the govt started putting something new in the water?

Luckily, these things happen infrequently individually, let alone together.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

simonp

« Reply #10246 on: 14 June, 2012, 09:54:13 pm »
When it's not raining there's a bloody headwind.  >:(

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #10247 on: 14 June, 2012, 10:17:31 pm »
Jeez!  Glad you're OK, Ham. The stuff of nightmares.

Dare I ask how the parked car fared?  ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #10248 on: 14 June, 2012, 10:21:33 pm »
Did the commute to our Uxbridge office today.  Succeeded in proving my idle boast correct - that it is quicker to get from Basingstoke to Uxbridge by bicycle than by public transport (2hr 10 min plays 2hr 15min).  Certainly a whole lot better than trusting the journey to First Great Western and a couple of buses.  Nice sunshine on the way out, tailwind and heavy showers on the way back.  Didn't dampen my enthusiasm.  Better showers in Uxbridge than my usual Reading abode too.   :smug:
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #10249 on: 14 June, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »
Jeez!  Glad you're OK, Ham. The stuff of nightmares.

Dare I ask how the parked car fared?  ;)

The parked car was a W reg fiesta, so not especially well, but neither was it that noticeable  ;D . I left my number, I haven't heard anything.