Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519239 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #10325 on: 19 June, 2012, 10:24:34 pm »
3 lanes of traffic. Get out of saddle to accelerate and merge right. Bang! broken chain, bounce off handlebars, almost not quite fall over. Cars notice and stop without running me down. Rejoined chain but restricted to two gears (a bit high or a bit low).

Strained back muscles and bruised knee.  Blast.

Ouch. And ouch.ft

How are your nuts?*

(*I'm assuming the 'mr' means you have, or at least had, them.)
The male protect nuts reflex saved them
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10326 on: 19 June, 2012, 10:27:17 pm »
Warm ride into work earlier.......and dry !

Stopped on the way to buy todays 'i' newspaper, just realised I was sold a copy of Mondays edition, took me until the sports pages to figure it out !

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10327 on: 20 June, 2012, 07:32:21 am »
I rode home via Richmond Park again, fitting in a full circuit before meeting Butterfly and going to see a comedy gig in an unlikely setting before riding home together.
Getting there...

Si_Co

« Reply #10328 on: 20 June, 2012, 07:57:34 am »
Lovely ride in today, had a few issues with babbage engine after setting off,new batteries in the sender, still doesn't work, reset, still no worky, 'persuade' it with the handle of the carving knife.........ah yes that'll do nicely  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10329 on: 20 June, 2012, 08:21:03 am »
First cyclo-commute for what seems like months. Good to be back. Only one twat in a Range Rover worthy of shouting at.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #10330 on: 20 June, 2012, 09:07:48 am »
I went Zooooooooooooooooooom this morning :D

(for me on the tandem, anyway ;D - 12.8 mph average: usual is about 10 8))
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10331 on: 20 June, 2012, 09:21:34 am »
I had to be fast.  For a couple of reasons, I didn't leave the house until nearly 0800.  But I did get to work on time, even if I wasn't logged on until after 0900 (I had had a discussion already about some matters before I got changed).
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10332 on: 20 June, 2012, 09:55:57 am »
In spite of selecting 'random play' on my mp3 payer, this morning's commute was mostly to the musical accompaniment of Gogol Bordello.  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #10333 on: 20 June, 2012, 09:59:54 am »
I'm at the barber's. Taking it easy today, giving my legs a rest.

« Reply #10334 on: 20 June, 2012, 06:51:32 pm »
Lovely cycling today. Sunny and warm and a tailwind home  :thumbsup:

Though I did get yelled at on the way in for the heinous crime of cycling in a straight line at a reasonable speed. Apparently my not moving into the parking bays to save the driver behind me a good two seconds of waiting behind me means I "need to learn to cycle"  ::-)

Zoomed home. At the 11 mile point my average speed was 16.9mph! For me that's mega quick  ;D Lost a bit after that as I hit the junctiony bit of the ride but still pleased.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #10335 on: 21 June, 2012, 12:57:08 am »
I had a lovely warm part sunny commute in this evening. The Soay sheep were peacefully munching grass on Cheddar Gorge, and some random bird (avian not human) did a near perfect rendition of New Order's 'Blue Monday' which was nice. I fully expect to get precipitated upon on my way home in the morning now to make up for it!

simonp

« Reply #10336 on: 21 June, 2012, 01:12:44 am »
I caught up with a lady cyclist who draughted me for about a mile. She jumped the lights though so escaped. Think I’ve seen her on a club run. I think she sped up when i caught her because being overtaken by a beat up pompino when riding a fast bike isn’t on. :)

I only did 18 miles and took it easier, only just under 17mph. Legs less heavy than expected but they weren’t up for sprinting uphill.

Si_Co

« Reply #10337 on: 21 June, 2012, 07:53:48 am »
Yes Mr Muppet there was a reason I didn't shoot that gap in the traffic to turn right, it was all that shiny stuff on the junction which you discovered after you'd overtaken me as I was waiting, lost the back end and nearly ended up under the oncoming 7.5 tonner  ::-)

Slow today, legs like lead, a headwind a general feeling of ICBA resulted in an average of just 15.8mph

« Reply #10338 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:04:39 am »
Today's story is located at the traffic lights before Elephant and Castle roundabout..   When I made it to the ASL there was a lass in a floral dress on a sit up and beg bike,  fumbling in her basket..  She took out a mobile phone, and took some photos of the motorcyclists that where also in the ASL,  to be fair they had only just rolled in, so they where visible to the cars..  So it was the safe place for them to be. 

I accept that the law states that they shouldn't be there,  but they where not good examples of nasty dangerous motorcyclist in our space,  they where sensible chaps,  positioning themselves safely.

Once the photos where taken, the motorcyclists and I where left gobsmacked, as she put her phone away, and cycled off through the red lights. 

I was really disappointed that it was quite a while before they changed, and I couldn’t catch her up to ask about it..  I am really sure that she doesn't see the irony of her actions.
Just someone's butler

« Reply #10339 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:14:07 am »
Amazing, isn't it? I don't mind motorcycles in the ASL either, it seems the best place for them.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
On the commute today
« Reply #10340 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:19:46 am »
Brilliant. I can only laugh at things like that. Far too stupid to be taken seriously.

After the last couple of days of glorious weather, back to situation normal this morning. Luckily, I was only lightly situation-normalled on; there had been a spell of very heavy situation normal shortly before I set off.

d.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10341 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:20:53 am »
I do mind them.  They often start into the access gap and block it when they find they can't get through.  On CS7 in particular, there are sometimes 20 or more cyclists at a phase of the lights.  If there are three PTWs in the ASL (and there frequently are), that takes up a lot of space, and can make starting off a dangerous prospect.

As it is, I've photographed some numpty drivers this morning.  But I didn't go through any red lights :P
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10342 on: 21 June, 2012, 09:25:25 am »
Loughborough Junction, Brixton:

Not quite as bad as it looks there, but the bridge was several inches short of being sufficient.
Getting there...

« Reply #10343 on: 21 June, 2012, 11:32:48 am »

Not quite as bad as it looks there, but the bridge was several inches short of being sufficient.

You will find much of interest here then:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2012/06/20/midland-metro-bridge-crashes-in-pictures/

« Reply #10344 on: 21 June, 2012, 01:16:23 pm »

You will find much of interest here then:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2012/06/20/midland-metro-bridge-crashes-in-pictures/

::-)
Time to ban satnav in lorries?
or charge drivers for the damage and emergency service time?
I do feel that the cost of all damage to street furniture etc should always be divided between all the involved vehicles - that way they don't have the option of arguing that it's someone else's fault - if your vehicle bent the railings, you pay for the railings. If you were on the train, the railings would still be straight.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10345 on: 21 June, 2012, 01:22:04 pm »
I agree.  But the lorry this morning hadn't (I believe) hit the bridge.  Rather, it had stopped short.  A case of a driver following satnav, yet (unusually) being aware of the height of the vehicle, so, as soon as he'd turned into Loughborough Road and was immediately presented with a low (not very low, tbh) bridge, he stopped.

The problem was that he then blocked the road for all motor traffic.  Bikes got past just fine, as it happens :smug:

Reversing back out onto Coldharbour Lane may have been a very long task, though a truck driver who had been heading the other way along Loughborough Rd stopped and acted as banksman.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10346 on: 21 June, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »
There really ought to be a sign warning of the height restriction at the start of the road. I've looked on Google Street View and can't see one. Therefore I'd say the lorry driver can't be wholly blamed for this one.

You might think they'd check their route for such problems before setting out, though. I remember when we first moved to Whitstable, I made a point of warning the removals firm of the low railway bridge on the way into town. It doesn't take a lot of foresight to anticipate these problems.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10347 on: 21 June, 2012, 01:40:38 pm »
It does say 14'3" on the bridge, which is clearly visible from the turn.

Coldharbour Lane East has a bridge with a 14'3" sign, so I guess that's not where he came from.  Coldharbour Lane to the West seems to have a lower bridge, but no height marked either side :o  The bridge on Hinton Rd is rather higher, but that's a stupidly narrow broad to bring an HGV down.
Getting there...

« Reply #10348 on: 21 June, 2012, 01:45:27 pm »
Lorry drivers unfortunately often get sent daily on completely new routes, covering hundreds of miles per day.  Road closures, traffic congestion and a hundred other things can mean that they have to take a different route to the one anticipated, even on a route they've done before.  If satnavs were truly fit for purpose, they'd have an option to take into account size of vehicle (in all directions) and bridges/narrow country lanes/etc, but most of them don't.  Driving an HGV means taking into account not hitting the kerb as you turn, not taking out the turns too much while still making it round, observing everything round you at all times while also reading hundreds of signs every mile, observing traffic ahead and figuring out where you're going.  When roads then also don't have the appropriate signage at the start (like a narrow country lane near us...starts off looking like a lovely lane wide enough for two cars, goes round a bend and suddenly becomes narrow enough that taking some cars down it is a challenge even if you don't meet anything else-no warning of this at the entry to the road), it becomes just about impossible.

I don't drive HGVs, but an ex of mine did.  She hasn't hit any bridges, but she's come close (as in turned down the road to discover she couldn't go further) twice-once as she was focussing on the traffic and didn't see the warning sign til she was a bit close, the other because there wasn't a warning sign...apparently someone had nicked it.

Just occasionally, someone makes a mistake.  It's commonly known as being human and no matter how conscientious, it's going to happen. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10349 on: 21 June, 2012, 01:53:17 pm »
Just had a closer look.  There's a second bridge up Hinton Rd at 12'3"

I don't know how the truck had even got there - the junction is surrounded by bridges at the height he was having a problem with or lower. ???
Getting there...