Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 1412055 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20825 on: August 21, 2019, 10:58:55 pm »
There is a real Bah Road too! https://www.makaan.com/agra-residential-property/buy-land-in-agra-bah-road-153762-lcudn
If that's on ian's commute, he's probably lost.
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #20826 on: August 21, 2019, 11:26:04 pm »
to be fair I'm a Londoner and I'd only known of the Bath Road when I moved to Berkshire as that was the site of the local TT speed demons.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

« Reply #20827 on: August 22, 2019, 08:34:40 am »
Very pleasant one this morning after a soaking last night.  :)  But it looks like I'll get a soaking again this evening   :(

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #20828 on: August 22, 2019, 09:59:25 am »
I've no idea where Bath Road is. Somewhere near Bath would be my guess.

And you call yourself a londoner! Bath Rd = A4 through west london e.g Hounslow.

Hmm, I might have known that – I did use to live in Ealing – but I'm a Souther now. It's a long way to Bath from Hounslow though.

Anyway, I didn't get to ride along the runway (which is mostly fallen to bits) because the glider people were still packing up.
!nataS pihsroW

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #20829 on: September 06, 2019, 10:38:11 pm »
Alas, the day is drawing its shades on my longer summer commute. The final league was decidedly crepuscular this evening. There was even a special guest owl. A deer nearly ran into me (fortunately I was going uphill at 0.1 mph, it wouldn't have been so lucky has it been one of the usual Friday-night chavrockets). Popped straight out of the hedgerow, stopped for a moment (green cross what?), then bounded off. Later a cat ran out in front of me and stopped. I stopped. We did the stand-off. No really, you go. Then it bolted back the way it came and up a fence. It really should have looked where it was going then it would have seen the other cat sitting right there on top of that fence. Oh well, that's what happens when you collide large feline hadrons. A very loud interaction. The runway was empty so I did my Spitfire thing. Come get me, MOD. Next stop, Area 51. Beer. Bath. Beer. Sovereign, Deadly, Perfect on the radiogram. It might be 30km on a Brompton, but it sure beats the train and good god, the scrunched and miserable faces in the cars.
!nataS pihsroW

fd3

« Reply #20830 on: September 08, 2019, 12:28:53 am »
Commuting on the speedmachine for [reasons].  Lots of laughs from the kids at the FE college.  I noticed on Thursday a couple instances of repeated beeping from cars; not aggressive (I don't think) more like exuberant oafs after England have won at the 11-a-side.

Also, cyclist SMIDSY'd me, pulling out to turn right across me.  I was going apace and had just had the thought of "there's a road ahead to my left with poor visibility, maybe I should coast a bit", which probably helped.  I reckon he clocked me and misjudged the time he needed to get past me.
[/I could be wrong]

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #20831 on: September 16, 2019, 08:03:41 pm »
Lights were deployed.
2017 - R500 ✅ | 2018 - R1000 ✅ | 2019 - ?

« Reply #20832 on: September 16, 2019, 08:18:10 pm »
My commute was a tad different today

That's an ordinary bike path,  in between a quiet road and  a motorway. Really hard to get used to how good it is over here, even away from the main towns. (Netherlands)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20833 on: September 16, 2019, 08:47:54 pm »
Last week but memorable. While stopped at the only level crossing on the way to work, the Union of South Africa chuffed past with some happy passengers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #20834 on: September 16, 2019, 08:57:32 pm »
I saw TWO tractors going through the city centre the other day.  One would be unusual but two was magnificent.  I'm sure the other local drivers were livid.

No though, that was not what was that remarkable.  What raised the bar was, that the first one, on Castle Street itself - the centre of the universe in Cardiff - was seen by lots of small children and was greeted with lots of cheering, jumping up and down and general excitement of those little tots on their way to school.  This made me smile a lot :)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #20835 on: September 17, 2019, 09:11:40 am »
Beautiful morning today. It was cool when I left the house, but when I went down the hill to the canal path, you could feel the drop in temperature. It was around 5.5C on the canal path this morning.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20836 on: September 21, 2019, 03:52:54 am »
The past week was my first full house of cycle commutes this year. ‘Something’ has always got in the way to date and working away probably means no cycling next week at all.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...