Author Topic: unpaid postage  (Read 2841 times)

Si

unpaid postage
« on: 14 May, 2008, 11:19:16 am »
If you are sent a letter or package via RM that doesn't have the required stamps on it how does the post office get the money back off you?  I thought that they just withheld the letter until you coughed up, but have just had a letter through the door with a big yellow sticker proclaiming that it is lacking in postage to the sum of 6p (plus a £1 handling charge).  Postie didn't knock on the door or ask for the money, just popped it through the box.  How are they expecting to reclaim their losses?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: unpaid postage
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:28:44 am »
If you are sent a letter or package via RM that doesn't have the required stamps on it how does the post office get the money back off you?  I thought that they just withheld the letter until you coughed up, but have just had a letter through the door with a big yellow sticker proclaiming that it is lacking in postage to the sum of 6p (plus a £1 handling charge).  Postie didn't knock on the door or ask for the money, just popped it through the box.  How are they expecting to reclaim their losses?
They open all your birthday cards for the next five years, or until they get their money back.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Lonewolff

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:43:30 am »
That was a mistake. When there is insufficient postage you are supposed to get a card through the door telling you to go to the local sorting office to pick it up and pay the excess postage (plus their handling charge). You were obviously just lucky this time.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:05:45 pm »
Or the postie was being kind.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rob S

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2008, 07:04:35 pm »
That was a mistake. When there is insufficient postage you are supposed to get a card through the door telling you to go to the local sorting office to pick it up and pay the excess postage (plus their handling charge). You were obviously just lucky this time.

I suspect my mum was even luckier today, she received a birthday card from her sister in Italy....it had no stamps on it, no franking mark, no yellow sticker saying postage hadn't been paid.....odd!!!

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2008, 07:57:23 pm »
I think the postie often can't be arsed with dealing with these sort of things.  If you aren't in and there is money owing on the letter, he'll have to take it back to the sorting office, and leave a card with you.  I suspect that (i) a lot of the time they can't be arsed with filling in and leaving a card (assuming they haven't run out) and (ii) they don't want to carry stuff back.

I had a small parcel of TFL cycle maps left on my doorstep this week, I had ordered above some magic limit, which apparently means I have to sign for the parcel.  I didn't sign anything.  I've occasionally had parcels through the door with special delivery and signed for stickers, when I clearly haven't signed anything.  It suits me, since I don't have to go to the sorting office to pick it up, and I guess it's only a problem for the sender if I (the addressee) complain that I didn't receive it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2008, 08:51:39 pm »
Same here. The TFL cycle maps were left by the door despite being "signed for".

All of my OU stuff is sent via DHL and just gets left by the door, despite being signed for.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2008, 09:48:39 pm »
Overhere (Dutch TNT Post) it depends on your reputation. Normally there's a card attached to the letter telling you to resend it with the insufficiant postage & handling charges in poststamps on it. If you get quite a lot of unpaid postage letters and refuse to pay the letters are sent back to the sender with the same card attached and the note that they have to pay for the unpaid postage.

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:01:36 am »
...I've occasionally had parcels through the door with special delivery and signed for stickers, when I clearly haven't signed anything.  It suits me, since I don't have to go to the sorting office to pick it up, and I guess it's only a problem for the sender if I (the addressee) complain that I didn't receive it.

I was grateful recently to get a recorded delivery posted through the door. 

Written Monday. 
Delivered Tuesday.
All responses must be in by Friday ::-)

If Postie had done his job I'd have turned up Saturday to collect the letter.  As it was I got the response in in time, benefitting all local cyclists.