Author Topic: Cheam & Morden Hilly 50 6 March 2010  (Read 9333 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Cheam & Morden Hilly 50 6 March 2010
« Reply #50 on: 07 March, 2010, 11:15:23 am »
Very good, C.

A thought: if, the day after completing the C& M Hilly 50, I don't ache, is it indicitave of the fact that I'm a finely-honed athlete, or that I wasn't trying hard enough?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: 07 March, 2010, 11:19:44 am »
*sits on hands*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #52 on: 07 March, 2010, 11:33:37 am »
*sits on hands*

We wouldn't expect anything else  :D - but what were you using to type?  :o

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #53 on: 07 March, 2010, 12:01:48 pm »
That was, without a doubt, one of the most excellent rides of the year so far.  Huge thanks to Simon Legg-Bandage and his  hardworking crew of Cheam and Mordeners.

There is a little write up on my blog, along with footage from my head-cam.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1MvqRbARH0g&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/1MvqRbARH0g&rel=1</a>

Fabtastic video Charlotte. Quite saved me the bother of riding this year, or maybe inspired me to get out more. I was mavelling at the editing which brilliantly captured the feeling of zipping through the countryside, although the action did seem to slow down now and then for some inexplicable reason!

« Reply #54 on: 07 March, 2010, 06:27:46 pm »
Great video Charlotte - captures the unabated silliness of the ride extremely well.

Why are my legs starting to feel stiff this evening?
They weren't yesterday.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 07 March, 2010, 06:52:45 pm »
Dammit, you're making it sound like, well, not fun exactly, but the good kind of insanity....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #56 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:29:43 pm »
Great video Charlotte - captures the unabated silliness of the ride extremely well.

Why are my legs starting to feel stiff this evening?
They weren't yesterday.

I reckon you should ride a few more hills.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #57 on: 07 March, 2010, 10:57:59 pm »
A bit of a busy weekend.  Camping Friday night, left the little darlings at early o'clock, rode a few miles home, found a clean pair of bib longs, go to the station.  Train was delayed, but the connection to Deepdene had been held for us. Top marks.

Met, umm, mind's gone blank, a bloke from Cyclechat on the train and hooked up with matthew as we nipped up the A24.

Big hello from Simon as we swung into carpark. Lots of familiar faces, but I couldn't name them all. A pair of Pikes, hatler, Charlotte, MacB, Dave whom I met on the old cars run, I'm sure I saw Life of Brian too, plus Mark and Mags from the tandem club. Sadly not on their Flying Gate.  Simon mentioned Jurek was running late so I thought I'd hang on. Wow hove into view, and then hove out again, at Wowfactor 1.  Simon then confused things by saying he'd seen Jurek signing in. I searched around but no sign, so thought I'd missed him. I hung around for a bit with a view to shooting off, when he and Handbag turned up.  We set off about 15 minutes after the bunch.

When I first met Handbag she was making good progress on a nice hybrid on an FNRTTC. She's got an even nicer bike now, and makes even better progress. I did spend a lot of time behind her.

We caught Wow as we left Dorking, having waved to to Suzy and his Leggship. We exchanged a few words and slightly guiltily pressed on.  The bits of up we encountered were made more entertaining by having a had time shifting onto the granny ring. A bit of fettling improved, but didn't fix, the problem.

It got hotter as we went on, catching MacB on the run into Holmbury St Mary. He was a bit knackered, but then he had ridden from Farnborough. Madness I tell you.  We swept (FSVO swept) up a few more ridrers as we ground up out of Ewhurst and were soon inching up Whitedown Hill. And then my phone went. One of my customers had broken a widget, was working that weekend and could I help. Bugger. A Cunning plan was hatched.

We had a quick chat with matthew who was fettling with a Redhill CC rider and then bumped into Steve(?) and friend by the church on Ranmore Common. They'd misssed  the turn, taken the hill down into Dorking and then ridden back up. How pleased they were to hear they could have turned left at the foot of the hill and found their way to Ryka's without busting their lungs.

I said goodbye to Jurek and Handbag as we got to the A24 and of to Deepdene. Then into Redhill, into the factory, into the van, with a widget, to J8 on the M1. Handover widget, back to Redhill, onto train as far as Gatwick, ride to home, ride to campsite at Pease pottage, freeze nuts off in sleeping bag.

All splendid fun.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #58 on: 08 March, 2010, 02:20:29 pm »
That was, without a doubt, one of the most excellent rides of the year so far.  Huge thanks to Simon Legg-Bandage and his  hardworking crew of Cheam and Mordeners.

There is a little write up on my blog, along with footage from my head-cam.

YouTube - Cheam and Morden Hilly 50

Heh. Friend of mine posts on another (non-cycling) site, mentioned that he'd done this ride and seen the "crazy woman on the fixie".

she could destroy us all with a single kick from those thighs

;D