Author Topic: DIY Studded tyres  (Read 39839 times)

Re: DIY Studded tyres
« Reply #125 on: 12 January, 2010, 10:43:11 am »
Something with paddles on would be better for slush :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #126 on: 12 January, 2010, 10:48:26 am »
I've just received a reply by Bohle in response to my query regarding the availablity of Maraathon Winters in 20" size and they are available - I now have to decide whether it's worth it!  My current problem is that of deep slush as others have noted above.  They won't help with that so will it be worth it?

Yes.  Because one of 2 things will happen:
1) there will be no more snow, and you can go out and play on your bike happy and secure in the knowledge that the tyres are sitting there waiting for the next lot of white stuff.  And if we don't get any, they'll keep for next year.  And if we don't get any then, you can continue to go out and play on your bike happy in the knowledge that by purchasing studded tyres you tempted the weather gods and thus ensured ridable weather for all us numpties without snow tyres lurking in the cupboard
2) there will be more snow, and you can go out and play on your bike.

Win win!

« Reply #127 on: 12 January, 2010, 10:57:25 am »
Can you get carbide screws
stainless would be more hard wearing

« Reply #128 on: 12 January, 2010, 10:59:28 am »
Win win!

Ordered from the very nice man at Bohle!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #129 on: 12 January, 2010, 11:01:28 am »
Argh, if I had known you were doing a 20" order I might have piggybacked on it for the rear wheel of my trike!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #130 on: 12 January, 2010, 11:12:25 am »
Do you want his number - the price of £36.00 includes delivery?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #131 on: 12 January, 2010, 12:42:03 pm »
Thanks Russell but I've decided against it - probably knobbly BMX tyres would do for me as I don't actually need to worry about the bike sliding away sideways now I'm on three wheels. And I realised I sounded a bit presumptuous earlier, sorry!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #132 on: 12 January, 2010, 12:45:29 pm »
Can you get carbide screws
stainless would be more hard wearing

More hard wearing than carbide, or just more hard wearing than whatever I used?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #133 on: 12 January, 2010, 05:26:34 pm »
I'm surprised how little the screws in mine (B&Q self-tappers) have worn after 25 miles.

I should emphasise though - studs are useless in snow with any degree of softness.  For snow it is the width and pattern of the tyre that counts.  Studs are only useful on hard ice.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #134 on: 12 January, 2010, 07:16:28 pm »
Well update on the carbide stud pricing query, by my reckoning you'd need at least 200 studs and that's £74 even at the best price, assuming we can muster an order of 25000. Not really a viable option IMO, which is a shame, e-mail below:-

Hi Al,

Pricing as follows:

0-1000 studs 0.50
1-10000 studs 0.47
10-25000 studs 0.42
25-50000 studs 0.37

P&P generally £3.00 per 100 by Royal Mail special delivery but we can get a
quote for a specific quantity if required.

Free installation bit with each 200 studs (Normally £4.99)

The type 1000 studs require a minimum tread depth of 5mm and have a
protrusion of 2.2mm and are generally used for mountainbikes.

Regards

Chris
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #135 on: 12 January, 2010, 09:03:33 pm »
I'll take 200-300 if you can get the remaining orders in. Will they engrave a group logo on them at that price as well?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #136 on: 12 January, 2010, 09:09:10 pm »
Schwalbe marathon winter have 240 studs and cost approx 35 quid if you can find them
An amazon seller claims to have them currently in stock for 48 quid

« Reply #137 on: 12 January, 2010, 09:25:43 pm »
Schwalbe marathon winter have 240 studs and cost approx 35 quid if you can find them
An amazon seller claims to have them currently in stock for 48 quid

I know, I mentioned complete tyre prices to Chris and he indicated that their studs would last ages and are removeable/reusable. They'd want to be diamond tipped at those prices.

What are you doing anyway, get going with that drill, we need answers :demon:
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #138 on: 13 January, 2010, 10:03:25 am »
The white stuff has returned to the Wilds of west London(Acton).There goes the theory that all the talk of and acquisition of, snow tyres would lead tothe great thaw. 

My days work has been cancelled so I am looking forward to reading more reports re: your snow tyres as I am contemplating purchasing some in the future, probably during this summer's heatwave when they will be great supply ;D

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #139 on: 13 January, 2010, 10:27:49 am »
I rode into work on my SNO tyres this morning and can safely and confidently report that they absolutely freaking rock.

I've got 'em up to about 40psi (they're 2.1 inch tyres) and although I can usually spin along on the flat at about 28kph on my fixer with minimal effort, I struggle to manage 20kph on studs.  Combine that with waterproof trousers and jacket and I arrived at work toasty this morning.

Some other observations:

• The noise isn't as bad in traffic
  • They turn okay - even in rutted SNO
  • I laugh in the face of ungritted roads and tweak the nose of packed ice
  • Slush isn't as bad as I thought it would be

As long as they manage not to work a hole in the tube, I'm going to be as happy as a wotsit in thingy.

:thumbsup:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #140 on: 13 January, 2010, 10:32:41 am »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :-* :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #141 on: 13 January, 2010, 11:24:19 am »
Plz to SNO?

You asked for SNO and it SNOED.  Hmmm.  BURN THE WITCH!

Edit, I bought some 2.3 inch knobblies last week for my MTB and they have been reasonably good in snow and ice so far.  Was nice to overtake a wheelspinning porche this morning.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #142 on: 13 January, 2010, 11:25:50 am »
*cackle*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #143 on: 13 January, 2010, 11:27:22 am »
I rode into work on my SNO tyres this morning and can safely and confidently report that they absolutely freaking rock.

I've got 'em up to about 40psi (they're 2.1 inch tyres) and although I can usually spin along on the flat at about 28kph on my fixer with minimal effort, I struggle to manage 20kph on studs.  Combine that with waterproof trousers and jacket and I arrived at work toasty this morning.

Some other observations:

• The noise isn't as bad in traffic
  • They turn okay - even in rutted SNO
  • I laugh in the face of ungritted roads and tweak the nose of packed ice
  • Slush isn't as bad as I thought it would be

As long as they manage not to work a hole in the tube, I'm going to be as happy as a wotsit in thingy.:thumbsup:

Don't fall into the trap I did and get too blasé about this! My super Schwalbe Snow Stud MTB monster knobblies seemed impervious to all manner of snow and ice until I came across a stretch of frozen rough ice with a melting top layer - next thing, I'm sideways, the whole bike having turned 75 degrees to the right. And as luck would have it, just as a pickup truck is wizzing past in the opposite direction. Luckily, ace bike handling skills (for which read blind luck and sheer panic!) had me steer into it and the tyres re-gripped to straighten to whole thing out before I crossed the road into the path of the truck, but I hate to think what would have happened if the road had been narrower!

simonp

« Reply #144 on: 13 January, 2010, 01:51:58 pm »
Over confidence in icy conditions even with studded tyres.  Bad thing. I slowed right up when transitioning to hard packed rutted ice this morning. 7mph is fine. :)

border-rider

« Reply #145 on: 13 January, 2010, 04:00:14 pm »
Edit, I bought some 2.3 inch knobblies last week for my MTB and they have been reasonably good in snow and ice so far.  Was nice to overtake a wheelspinning porche this morning.

Yes, I've been using such for serious offroad this last week.  They've been fine for grip - the problem has been the inability of the engine to overcome drag from deep snow on hills, and the propensity to face-plant when the front wheel hits a hidden landscape feature on descents.  I'm not sure that studded tyres would have been any better.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #146 on: 13 January, 2010, 05:44:18 pm »
Mine passed the test this morning in horrible conditions (fresh snow, still falling, no ploughing or gritting).  The limiting factor is the narrowness of the tyre - 35mm isn't any good for packed snow since the steering goes completely.  Fresh snow and anything really hard-packed are both fine.  I rode a mile on the wrong side of the road because the wheel ruts (only left by one vehicle, I think) were deeper and cleaner there.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #147 on: 13 January, 2010, 08:50:51 pm »
Over confidence in icy conditions even with studded tyres.  Bad thing. I slowed right up when transitioning to hard packed rutted ice this morning. 7mph is fine. :)

For some of us it'd be aspirational!

« Reply #148 on: 13 January, 2010, 11:13:42 pm »
One Panaracer Crosstown done whilst watching Come Dine With Me.  Impressively spikey, although a few miles on tarmac should soon sort that.  Has anybody else tried it with a road tyre, or are you all using mountain bike ones?

« Reply #149 on: 14 January, 2010, 03:10:04 am »
One Panaracer Crosstown done whilst watching Come Dine With Me.  Impressively spikey, although a few miles on tarmac should soon sort that.  Has anybody else tried it with a road tyre, or are you all using mountain bike ones?

Mine is a Schwable HS159 in 650B, which is 37mm wide, but has no more tread than is common (pointlessly) on touring tyres these days. The tread blocks are much smaller than on mountain bike tyres. OTOH it's not like a pure road tyre.