Author Topic: PBP - Reflective vests?  (Read 100646 times)

Re: PBP - Reflective vests?
« Reply #25 on: 25 January, 2010, 09:31:33 pm »
I've got three! One is an Altura vest with CE mark; another is a Ron Hill mesh vest without CE mark; the third is a freebie from Parker International with CE mark- don't know if they are still giving these away but I am happy to give my one to anyone who wants it for free. I will probably wear the Altura on PBP as it's the most sartorial.

« Reply #26 on: 25 January, 2010, 09:50:32 pm »
This was mine. You can't really tell that it's a mesh, but it was very light, and folded/screwed up so small that I lost it en route.

kevinp

« Reply #27 on: 26 January, 2010, 07:51:59 am »
When I was out on saturday I road for a while with JohnH he had a reflective vest on, similar to the one you have posted a picture of IanH but on the back there was a picture of a bike and "Audax UK" written underneath, do you know if these are available anywhere ?

« Reply #28 on: 26 January, 2010, 08:55:04 am »
When I was out on saturday I road for a while with JohnH he had a reflective vest on, similar to the one you have posted a picture of IanH but on the back there was a picture of a bike and "Audax UK" written underneath, do you know if these are available anywhere ?

Those I believe are a solid material whereas mine was a very light open mesh. I don't know whether they're still available. Try the Clothing link on audax.uk.net or otherwise contact Pam (Brevet Card Production Sec, under Contacts) and ask if she has any remaining.

Martin

« Reply #29 on: 26 January, 2010, 08:58:58 am »
I thought Pam had shut up shop; the clothing link just takes you to Impsport; the last item I had off Pam was a polo shirt for £3 a couple of years ago. But they do put clothing ads in Arrivee; check next month.

the AUK vest is a bit of a tank; better suited to controllers than long rides.

Justin(e) has an official PBP 2007 one but no idea where he got it; maybe it was on sale at the registration like the t shirts

« Reply #30 on: 26 January, 2010, 09:15:52 am »
I thought Pam had shut up shop; the clothing link just takes you to Impsport; the last item I had off Pam was a polo shirt for £3 a couple of years ago. But they do put clothing ads in Arrivee; check next month.

the AUK vest is a bit of a tank; better suited to controllers than long rides.

Indeed, I've got two and I've never worn them on an Audax because of their bulk.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #31 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:56:57 pm »
Best place to go is a plant hire shop - HSS or similar - they have lightweight mesh gilets, with reflective strips and piping,  that roll up very small.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:02:33 pm »
As a Gilet-wearer*, I'm tempted to get something that actually works as a gilet, rather than being something extra that I'll resent carting around.

i.e. a non-mesh, zipped front, mesh back (ideally with pocket for uneaten pastries etc).

Has anyone worn a hiviz-vest OVER a "normal" Gilet? It sounds like a really fiddly combination.

*Look away now MV
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #33 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:06:50 pm »
something like this? (although it lacks those wide reflective bands the CE ones have)

Brooks Nightlife Running Gillet (Yellow/Black) [BRO266] - SportsShoes.com

« Reply #34 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:14:05 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of whether wearing a reflective vest on top of a decent waterproof jacket affects it's performance.  I'll have my Gill eVent - they say not to have anything rub against the fabric as it breaks down it's effectiveness  at water shedding.  I can imagine that a vest or gilet would not only rub but also retain water between the layers, which would at the very least prevent the jacket from breathing.
The sound of one pannier flapping

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #35 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:26:19 pm »
If this is relevant to me in a little over 18 months, I may start to consider it about then ;)

Just 572 days to go

« Reply #36 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:29:41 pm »
As a Gilet-wearer*, I'm tempted to get something that actually works as a gilet, rather than being something extra that I'll resent carting around.

Whereas I just want the reflective bit to go over whatever I'm wearing and not make me warmer or sweatier.

« Reply #37 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:34:50 pm »

Whereas I just want the reflective bit to go over whatever I'm wearing and not make me warmer or sweatier.
Me too. Is the law for refectives or hi-viz vests ? I mean would lashings of refelctives stuck onto a regular club pass, I suspect not as then it's largely a belt/sash

« Reply #38 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »
retro-reflectives.

http://www2.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/DP_cisr_13_02_08.pdf

Page 12:

"
2. Équiper tous les cyclistes d’un gilet rétro-réfléchissant de nuit hors agglomération
Les cyclistes sont très peu visibles de nuit, tout particulièrement hors agglomération en l’absence d’éclairage public.
􀃖 Le Comité interministériel de la sécurité routière décide de rendre obligatoire le port d’un gilet rétro-réfléchissant par tout cycliste de nuit hors agglomération à compter du 1er septembre 2008.
Les cyclistes qui ne porteraient pas de gilet seront passibles d’une contravention de la deuxième classe.
"

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #39 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:56:55 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of whether wearing a reflective vest on top of a decent waterproof jacket affects it's performance.

Yes it does.  I wore a Poundland reflective gilet in France last year, over a Goretex Paclite jacket that is usually waterproof enough for me, in a day of steady rain.  It was definitely less waterproof with the gilet on top.

As I understand it, the law is not just for night-time, but at any time of impaired visibility (ie same as vehicle lights in the UK)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #40 on: 26 January, 2010, 04:04:40 pm »
Google translations gave me this

"2. Equipping all cyclists a retro-reflective vest at night outside metropolitan
Cyclists are barely visible at night, especially outside urban areas in the absence of street lighting.
􀃖 The Interministerial Committee for Road Safety agreed to the compulsory wearing a retro-reflective vest in any cyclist at night outside urban areas from 1 September 2008.
Cyclists who do not wear vests will be liable to a breach of the second class."

So "retro-reflective vest" whatever the French mean by that !!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #41 on: 26 January, 2010, 04:10:13 pm »

1970's or earlier?  Or do things from the 80's now count as "retro" as well?  :)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #42 on: 26 January, 2010, 04:17:25 pm »

1970's or earlier?  Or do things from the 80's now count as "retro" as well?  :)

I assume it has to comply with the same regs as the ones you have to carry in cars over there;

there are many cycling specific gilet ones if you google.fr; all about 30€

« Reply #43 on: 26 January, 2010, 04:19:16 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of whether wearing a reflective vest on top of a decent waterproof jacket affects it's performance.
Yes it does.  I wore a Poundland reflective gilet in France last year, over a Goretex Paclite jacket that is usually waterproof enough for me, in a day of steady rain.  It was definitely less waterproof with the gilet on top. ...........
I use an Altura reflective gilet, often over a Goretex jacket. I haven't noticed any dimninution of the jacket's waterproofedness as a consequence, although I confess that since the things tend in my experience not to be wholly waterproof in sustained rain anyway, I'd perhaps not notice!

The Altura gilet has a useful mesh pocket on the back which I find helpful when stopping in the dark, usually used briefly for gloves etc. whilst shopping, "getting comfortable" etc. It folds fairly small but not really "pocket size" - the reflective strips are plasticky and a bit stiff, although they will fold if you try hard enough. I usually carry it rolled and toe-strapped to the top of the Carradice. The material is fairly breathable and it has a good double action zip which doesn't jam. Although I take the point made above that ideally one would have something that didn't change the insulation of your existing clothing, in practice I find that the modest extra layer of the Altura gilet merely offsets the usual slight drop in temperature come nightfall; in other words, if I'm not overheating before dusk, I don't overheat after dusk as a consequence of putting the thing on!

I would wish to have something a little more stylish/less nerdish though!

« Reply #44 on: 26 January, 2010, 04:22:02 pm »

I assume it has to comply with the same regs as the ones you have to carry in cars over there;

there are many cycling specific gilet ones if you google.fr; all about 30€

Is that Standard 1150 ?

et voila

http://www.cyclesetsports.com/boutique_en_article_2042.html

Andrew

« Reply #45 on: 26 January, 2010, 05:05:23 pm »
I mean would lashings of refelctives stuck onto a regular club pass

Theoretically, yes. Because one or other of the EN regulations actually stipulates what is required in terms of width and amount of reflective stripe. I guess if you could show that you'd got that on your home made gilet/jersey then it'd be okay. Whether you'd want to argue the toss with a gendarme in the small hours is another matter entirely!

The tragedy, imo and as touched upon by helly and others, is that there really is very little selection in functional, legal and effective high-viz garments for cyclists. The L2S link I posted earlier shows some gear that gets close (at a cost), as does the link posted by greenbank, but most of us will already have (I suspect) jackets and/or gilets that already offer the qualities of warmth, waterproofing and breathability that we need/want. So currently I suspect what we're probably looking for is something almost vapour like... reflective strip that floats above the outer layer without effecting its performance.  Until that outer layer needs replacing that is and then we'll incorporate high-viz into the equation and wear it 24/7 (which, incidentally, the French would probably write as 24/24 7/7... but that's another story!)    

« Reply #46 on: 26 January, 2010, 05:18:50 pm »
Whether you'd want to argue the toss with a gendarme in the small hours is another matter entirely!

Again, the problem is unlikely to be the gendarmes, more the PBP marshals that could decide it's not up to scratch enough and give you a time penalty or, at bike check time, they ask to see your night time gilet and tell you it's not good enough and prevent you from registering.

Sticking reflectives on a jersey doesn't sound like the best idea given PBP is 4 days (in the same jersey), and the jersey would have to be worn over the top of every other layer (including a waterproof jacket if it's raining).

Andrew

« Reply #47 on: 26 January, 2010, 05:22:13 pm »
You're right greenbank, with specific reference to PBP. I was talking generally.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #48 on: 26 January, 2010, 11:19:24 pm »
So currently I suspect what we're probably looking for is something almost vapour like... reflective strip that floats above the outer layer without effecting its performance.

Its not about visibility - its about complying with regulation.  I don't care if its khaki camouflage.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Andrew

« Reply #49 on: 27 January, 2010, 08:26:20 am »
An interesting comment. I suspect that's not a point of view shared by all.  ;)