Author Topic: Saddest Song?  (Read 10570 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Saddest Song?
« Reply #75 on: 30 January, 2010, 12:40:10 pm »
Adieu Pierrette - Boubacar Traore

It's a lament following the death of his wife in 1987, and you can feel it, even if you can't understand the words (he sings in a mix of about four languages, and even the French I have trouble understanding).

Mariama by the same artist sounds painfully heartrending, though it may be a jolly song about the joy of life, but I don't *think* so.
Getting there...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #76 on: 30 January, 2010, 06:47:50 pm »
Sad but joyous too.

When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease by Roy Harper

Always leaves me with tears down me face anyway.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #77 on: 31 January, 2010, 01:15:57 pm »
I'm suprised no-one's mentioned Tracy Chapman's Fast Car yet. If ever there was a lament for unfulfilled lives, that's the song.

Oh, and Dicky Mo had the great Ms Simone's Don't let me be misunderstood - I'd nominate her version of Mr Bojangles as sadder.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #78 on: 31 January, 2010, 01:25:37 pm »
I'm suprised no-one's mentioned Tracy Chapman's Fast Car yet. If ever there was a lament for unfulfilled lives, that's the song.

Oh, and Dicky Mo had the great Ms Simone's Don't let me be misunderstood - I'd nominate her version of Mr Bojangles as sadder.

Nina is a true master of bittersweet and tugging at the heartstrings. I've not long ago listened to her "Lie - Lock Wine".
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #79 on: 01 February, 2010, 12:00:27 am »
Peter Gabriel's 'Here Comes the Flood'. The acoustic version from Shaking the Tree has real raw emotion in it.

Supper's Ready is impossible to listen to, especially the closing section ('Apocalypse in 9/8'?) since M-i-L died.

Curve ball - Andrew Gold's 'Lonely Boy' but that's guilt on my part 'cos I thought my eldest was going to be an only son.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #80 on: 01 February, 2010, 12:05:19 am »
I've not listened to Father Son, Peter Gabriel, (from the millenium show) since dad died.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #81 on: 04 February, 2010, 11:01:57 pm »
Jaded,  I was thinking of putting that one up. I remember hearing it at an Albion gig at college. Hutchings and co got through the first verses, the "cyclic" bridge came in, and then suddenly Ric was playing this amazing howling, soulbreaking electric fiddle solo.
I wept.

With John Tams - who did the vocals - sitting on a chair smoking while all  that was going on.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

ed_o_brain

« Reply #82 on: 04 February, 2010, 11:30:57 pm »
Vincent - Don McLean
Was chosen to see my Dad off at his funeral.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #83 on: 05 February, 2010, 12:13:45 am »
Sad but joyous too.

When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease by Roy Harper

Always leaves me with tears down me face anyway.

God! I haven't heard that in years, fantastic. I only found out recently that he did the vocal on Pink Floyd's 'Have a Cigar' on Wish You Were Here. IIRC Roger Waters regrets not singing that one himself . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

mikeitup

« Reply #84 on: 03 March, 2010, 08:30:46 pm »
Nigel Tufnel - "Lick My love Pump"  :( :'(