Author Topic: So, how hard is PBP?  (Read 53373 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: So, how hard is PBP?
« Reply #250 on: 14 October, 2010, 12:42:30 pm »
I was trying to work out if finishing a 1000k BRM was a good indicator for PBP. We had 75hrs for 1000k.

Comparing the 84h start: 84hrs for 1200k*, so 9hrs for the last 200k.

90h start sounds easy at first; 90hrs for 1200k, so 15h for the last 200k. Hoorah!
BUT you are 1 night behind on sleep. So not a simple comparison ...

*Actually 1227, but most 1000s are a bit over-distance, and terrain varies etc etc ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #251 on: 14 October, 2010, 01:13:25 pm »
A very hilly 1000k BRM should be harder.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #252 on: 14 October, 2010, 01:25:36 pm »
I was trying to work out if finishing a 1000k BRM was a good indicator for PBP. We had 75hrs for 1000k.

Comparing the 84h start: 84hrs for 1200k*, so 9hrs for the last 200k.

90h start sounds easy at first; 90hrs for 1200k, so 15h for the last 200k. Hoorah!
BUT you are 1 night behind on sleep. So not a simple comparison ...

*Actually 1227, but most 1000s are a bit over-distance, and terrain varies etc etc ...

You have entered and ridden both PBP and the Mille

The Mille was far more difficult

You finished the Mille, but I think everyone agreed that you were on really good form for it.  If you can get similar form for the next PBP, it will be easier

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #253 on: 14 October, 2010, 01:41:28 pm »
You finished the Mille, but I think everyone agreed that you were on really good form for it.  If you can get similar form for the next PBP, it will be easier
You rode really well too, darling!  :-*

But seriously ... I agree completely with your post. I'm just avoiding the counting of chickens - if I get [ injured / ill / demanding job]  next year, my fitness could easily take a big knock. To be honest, although it would be nice to finish this one more succesfully than in '07, having got the badges from LEL/MC1k I'm not nearly so bothered about 'proving' anything; I'll be a lot more relaxed in 2011 (which isn't saying much).

I find it fascinating that after riding 3 x 1000k+ events, the differences between them still make comparisons and plans quite tricky!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #254 on: 14 October, 2010, 01:47:22 pm »
I'm just avoiding the counting of chickens - if I get [ injured / ill / demanding job]  next year, my fitness could easily take a big knock.

Even so, the Mille is the proof you should be able to do fine at the next PBP

I find it fascinating that after riding 3 x 1000k+ events, the differences between them still make comparisons and plans quite tricky!

There is one similarity.  To a large extent, they aren't about fitness they are about determination

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #255 on: 21 October, 2010, 10:28:50 pm »
But seriously ... I agree completely with your post. I'm just avoiding the counting of chickens - if I get [ injured / ill / demanding job]  next year, my fitness could easily take a big knock.

Yep, don't underestimate the side effects a simple cold can have just a week before the event. (Said he, sagely)

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #256 on: 22 October, 2010, 11:19:52 am »
'To complete the circle' ?   Jeez how bad was your arse after 1200km?  :D

A friend from Surrey claims his post-PBP posterior was the inspiration for the Japanese flag.

'Rising sun my arse!'

In 2003 Malcolm Howlett has a broad Scottish accent and doesn't speak French, sufering badly he went in to a Chemist and tried asking the lady for some Cream for his arse, "Je Ne comprend" was the constant reply so eventually he was so frustrated to crys of "NON, NON" he turned and dropped his shorts to reveal his bloodied arse  ;D :thumbsup: :hand:

He was soon supplied with suitable cream from a shocked French Pharmacist that did the job fantasticaly  and helped him finish just inside the time limit :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #257 on: 18 September, 2011, 11:59:40 am »
FWIW, Martin & I mooched round a El Supremo perm yesterday (Buckbarn - Sutton Scotney), riding round well trodden, er, ridden roads in Southern England. Had a bit of everything, sunny skies, gray skies, drizzle and occaisional deluge(s), big rolling hills, wooded climbs and descents and (owing to a late start) a couple of hours on pitch black roads (as we hadn't anticipated being out late we had only brought our commuting lights with us).

So, a standard AUK perm really. Mile for mile, it seemed way harder than PBP.

Ben

« Reply #258 on: 18 September, 2011, 04:32:26 pm »
Am I really being over the top because I did'nt make it?

« Reply #259 on: 18 September, 2011, 04:34:12 pm »
Experience counts for a lot. I'm sixteen years older than when I rode my first. This last one was both easier and faster.

Ben

« Reply #260 on: 18 September, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »
Thank you, I also did my first in 1995, and repeated it in 1999. but that was twelve years ago, with most of that really not on the PBP hunt at all, period. So I feel very bad, and all. But I did participate and try it again. I think I came very close to getting around. Ben

« Reply #261 on: 19 September, 2011, 03:17:59 pm »
Reading elsewhere I gather you had contributory problems. That can happen to anyone on the day.  I hope you got some satisfaction out of just giving it your best shot.

Ben

« Reply #262 on: 19 September, 2011, 07:22:40 pm »
Thank you Ian, it helps a lot to hear that, yes that could happen to anyone. I do feel somewhat good about as much as I did accomplish. I am much stronger and healthier for the years riding and do not regret that, in fact I like that.