Author Topic: How do you keep up with current affairs/culture?  (Read 3378 times)

Baron Brymbo von Pickelhaube

• Adel auf dem Radel
Re: How do you keep up with current affairs/culture?
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2019, 12:55:16 pm »
In order of frequency:

Print: der Spiegel, Kindle edition at a rate of one copy every two weeks, not quite enough to justify a subscription
TV: mdr AKTUELL
TV: rbb regional news
TV: about 20 other german free-to-air satellite TV channels
TV: Al Jazeera English
TV: BBC News 24, whatever's showing in the 5 minute period before the 5-min-before-the-hour weather
Print: Tabloid headlines, viewed on working days when I pass by the newpaper stand to collect my lunch in Sainsbury's, Friar Street, Reading
Online: YACF, I lurk in POBI and then follow up some of the themes in the WWW
Print: New Scientist and the Economist, I always take a copy of each on holiday.  Nowadays that's when I can't take the Kindle, so about once per year
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2019, 08:48:22 pm »
I’m still finding The Big Issue is the nearest thing I can find to proper journalism. It’s just excellent.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2019, 08:50:59 am »
Late to this but...
Here, and work politics chat.

I read quite a lot of twitter. Mostly it's people I agree with. Mostly it's little more than a witty headline, but gives pointers to the presence of an interesting story. It also lets me know when someone awful has done something, without having to read it in the original. There's also voices in my feed that are underrepresented in big org British media: geeks, EU citizens, women, trans people etc. But it takes some work to make that my experience.

I look at BBC news online, but with a sceptical eye on the politics.
We get a Guardian / Observer / i about one weekend in two.
FT online is quite good, but I've yet to put my hand in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2019, 09:28:25 am »
France Info, Graun, NYT, and POBI for the funny bits and the sideshow going on across the Channel.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2019, 04:28:58 pm »
I’m still finding The Big Issue is the nearest thing I can find to proper journalism. It’s just excellent.
Interesting. I haven't read it for years, maybe I'll give it a try.
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2019, 04:30:22 pm »
Since this thread began, the more pertinent question would seem to be "How do you avoid current affairs/culture?"
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2019, 04:36:15 pm »
Or "How do avoid politicised news and find journalism and culture?"
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2019, 08:11:16 pm »
Avoiding politics...

On Twitter I have three accounts: work, pleasure (between_beyond) and ranting (perpetualdan). It isn't perfect but it helps me not be permanently cross.

Here, leave POBI alone.

On paper, magazines that aren't current affairs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk