Author Topic: Work begins on London's first two Cycle Superhighways  (Read 33672 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Work begins on London's first two Cycle Superhighways
« Reply #50 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:20:49 am »
I stopped at the Tooting one next to a familiar face bike of a fellow commuter, a Litespeed rider, the definition of whose calves intimidates me into wearing longs for a few weeks yet.  I spoke to him

'What do you think of the new Cycling Superhighway?'
'It's a bit....what's the word?'
'Crap?'
'Yeah, that too.  Nice colour, though.  I've got a bike that'll match it.'
'Ah.  Colour coordination - that's what it;s all about'

;D
Getting there...

« Reply #51 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:51:26 am »
It looks a bit too deep blue to match my Pompino in it's Trigger's Mum's Bathroom Blue.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:56:23 am »
Yeah, that's a bit more pastel.  Still, if it stains any more from exhaust fumes & tyres, it'll be dark enough to match my Orbit's Midnight Blue ;)
Getting there...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #53 on: 19 March, 2010, 11:42:51 am »
On the bright side it's a pretty good match for the blue Lidl long sleeved jersey.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #54 on: 19 March, 2010, 11:48:05 am »
At best I'd regard these as the cyclists equivalent of the coloured lines they used to have in Hospitals to lead you from, for example, reception to X-rays or Cardiology.

One has the feeling that following these bits of blue paint may also lead you to X-ray (and A&E and ICU...)   ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #55 on: 26 May, 2010, 03:06:53 pm »
A few observations:

Cars have now started to stay out of the blue in some places.  Not at junctions, of course.  But Upper Tooting Street up to Bec has a nice wideish strip of blue to ride up the left of the traffic.  Not such a success, really as the motorists have tended to hang right there, and it's usually been possible to ride up the left.

Some cars & vans are using the blue paint as a sort of ASL so they can creep further onto the road before having to give way to the 'real' traffic.  This gets on my wick.

There's a lot of parking in the blue lanes.

The lanes don't do anything useful round any of the many dangerous & badly designed junctions on the A3.

There are a number of pieces of roadworks labelled as CS7 which don't seem to have much to do with cycle highways.  A couple have deep trenches for gas or water main.  Several are about putting block paving in the mouth of side roads, which will, of course, make it more dangerous to turn off the main road.  I think some of the funding has been syphoned off to things which don't contribute, but TfL wanted to do neat the route.
Getting there...

« Reply #56 on: 26 May, 2010, 03:17:37 pm »
Some cars & vans are using the blue paint as a sort of ASL so they can creep further onto the road before having to give way to the 'real' traffic.  This gets on my wick.

This seems to be normal with cycle paths and bus lanes across junctions, and of course makes it more dangerous than it was before the lane was there. :-\

Along London Road near Croydon is typical, dashed cycle path markings up both sides, which are observed when it makes no difference, and ignored if convenient to do so.  In that picture the blue car is probably pulling out, but I've had many cars stopped waiting in essentially that position, which is dangerous for all road users, but exceptionally so for cyclists.

« Reply #57 on: 26 May, 2010, 06:51:56 pm »
Some cars & vans are using the blue paint as a sort of ASL so they can creep further onto the road before having to give way to the 'real' traffic.  This gets on my wick.

This seems to be normal with cycle paths and bus lanes across junctions, and of course makes it more dangerous than it was before the lane was there. :-\

It's normal, whether there's a cycle path there or not.

I always try to slot into primary position at junctions, especially if I'm going more than 15-20 mph, but not always, as always, it depends. The driver pulling out will be looking at that part of the road and it really helps prevent you getting boxed in to the side of the car pulling out by overtaking cars. There are several other good reasons for taking primary at junctions too. It's not always a good idea though.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #58 on: 28 May, 2010, 12:27:35 pm »
When did Barclays take over the superhighways and cycle hire ?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11901.aspx?lid=switcher
A shitter and a giggler.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #59 on: 28 May, 2010, 12:35:11 pm »
Do they have Intellectual Property Rights on that exact shade of blue?  Or just enough blue paint in stock, that when TfL contracted out for the paths, Barclays put in the lowest bid, and linked it with sponsorship?

But the good news must be that Barclays are wide-open to some serious suing and litigation if road accidents unplanned cycle/car interactions occur that can be shown to have been caused, in full or in part, by the use of the Barclays SuperHighway.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #60 on: 28 May, 2010, 12:41:26 pm »
That's extraordinary.

Either Barclays have been planning this for a long time or someone in their marketing team thought it would be a good idea to hijack the blue routes.
Rust never sleeps

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #61 on: 28 May, 2010, 12:58:12 pm »
I rode to work today along Cable Street - an element of one of the CSH.  They have dug up most of the existing cycle lanes (again ::-) ).  One hopes that the new blue path will be smoother than the existing stuff, but I'm not holding my breath.  The contractors have put of a number of 'cyclists dismount signs', even where there is plenty of road on which to continue the journey.  ::-)

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #62 on: 28 May, 2010, 01:03:51 pm »
That's extraordinary.

Either Barclays have been planning this for a long time or someone in their marketing team thought it would be a good idea to hijack the blue routes.

Well, Barlcays has a history of supporting apartheid . . .

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #63 on: 28 May, 2010, 01:28:53 pm »
That's extraordinary.

Given the feedback the work's had so far, I can't believe they've gone through with it.  Aren't there enough case studies of private sector companies getting sullied through involvement with government white elephants.

Cyclist: are you more or less likely to trust Barclays with your money after using the superhighway?
Motorist: are you more or less likely to trust Barclays with your money after driving next to the superhighway?
Pedestrian: are you more or less likely to trust Barclays with your money after walking next to/crossing the superhighway?

I suppose it might appeal to those you've never clapped eyes on the superhighway, but think it's a good thing for those of us who travel this route, or those who might, but don't 'cos it's not blue enough.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #64 on: 28 May, 2010, 01:38:32 pm »
That's extraordinary.

Well, Barlcays has a history of supporting apartheid . . .

;D
Getting there...

« Reply #65 on: 28 May, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »
LOL, that's too funny!  "Barclays" cycle lanes.  As in a barclays bank...
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #66 on: 28 May, 2010, 05:07:05 pm »
Coming soon, the 'BMW M5' and the 'First Direct Sustrans Route' ;

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #67 on: 28 May, 2010, 05:10:44 pm »
Coming soon, the 'BMW M5' and the 'First Direct Sustrans Route' ;
There'll never be a Direct Sustrans route!   ;D ;D
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #68 on: 28 May, 2010, 05:27:29 pm »
Next week TfL have invited various people to undertake CRIM's on CSH5 (route running between Lewisham and Victoria). However what TfL have done is get different stakeholders down for different days, which has led some people to speculate that TfL are adopting a divide and rule strategy. I've already made them change the time of the CRIM from 9.30a.m. to 8.30a.m. as doing it at 9.30a.m. does not really reflect commuting conditions.

« Reply #69 on: 28 May, 2010, 06:39:41 pm »
Sounds a little suspect.  Do you know who else is turning up for inspection meetings?  Is there any value in exchanging information with them prior to or after the CRIM?

« Reply #70 on: 28 May, 2010, 06:59:54 pm »
When did Barclays take over the superhighways and cycle hire ?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11901.aspx?lid=switcher

They must've got up very early in the morning  to take pics of to have material from which to 'shop' the idyllic traffic free scenes pictured on that page....

« Reply #71 on: 28 May, 2010, 07:05:52 pm »
They are a bit implausible aren't they.  Looking at the "Kennington Park Road" image, I've only seen that road as quiet as that about 6am on a Saturday morning.  Any other time of the day, there's probably an order of magnitude more traffic around, at least.

spindrift

« Reply #72 on: 28 May, 2010, 07:11:12 pm »
I heard they cordoned the road- the bods on bikes are models.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #73 on: 29 May, 2010, 08:57:56 pm »
That's extraordinary.

Given the feedback the work's had so far, I can't believe they've gone through with it.  Aren't there enough case studies of private sector companies getting sullied through involvement with government white elephants.

Cyclist: are you more or less likely to trust Barclays with your money after using the superhighway?
Motorist: are you more or less likely to trust Barclays with your money after driving next to the superhighway?
Pedestrian: are you more or less likely to trust Barclays with your money after walking next to/crossing the superhighway?

I suppose it might appeal to those you've never clapped eyes on the superhighway, but think it's a good thing for those of us who travel this route, or those who might, but don't 'cos it's not blue enough.

Actually, having spent some time working there I can vouch that Barclays are pretty pro-cycling. Their facilities at the head office for staff who commute by bike are superb - secure access, decent racks, separate shower and changing facilities and lockers. They also support that scheme where you can buy a bike tax-free and promote it quite loudly.

I suspect that the impetus to support the bike hire scheme (as well as the cycle lanes) is pure brand awareness - just like Nationwide sponsoring the football. It may not make someone switch accounts but it can't do any harm.  The way I see it, it's a big chunk of money going to help encourage cycling.  The use to which it's being put may not be perfect but at least it's something positive and, who knows, their sponsorship of tennis runs out in a year or two so maybe they could be persuaded to put some more money in to support cycle training for kids, for example.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #74 on: 29 May, 2010, 10:01:35 pm »
That's extraordinary.

It must've been a done on-the-quiet dodgy deal.

How else can the stupid blue coloured lanes be explained?

All becomes clear.   Expect Boris to take a Barclays directorship a few years after being ousted.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike