Linked Events

• Severn Across 400 Audax: 03 May, 2008

Author Topic: Severn Across 400 Audax  (Read 50435 times)

Martin

Re: Severn Across 400 Audax
« Reply #300 on: 05 May, 2009, 09:39:21 am »
it would be interesting to get a sense of the scale of the problem.  Do you think people would be interested in a survey?

there was quite a lot posted in 2007 where there were a spate of attacks notably; coincidentally about the same time as that piece of excrement Clarkson was producing a load of anti-cyclist drivel.

>one rider being pushed off and having to walk about 12km to an A/E on the Hailsham 400
>a rider having gravel thrown at her from a car on the Hailsham 600
>another rider being pushed off on the same 600 and subsequently abandoning his PBP aim.
>a rider being kicked in the backside on the Invicta 400

but not heard much recently apart from your experience on Sat;

anyone else got any recent experiences?

I'm now of the opinion that stopping dead is the best way to avoid the pushing off scenario but not sure how to avoid the missiles.

« Reply #301 on: 05 May, 2009, 09:44:14 am »
Actually I am seriously thinking of asking people on here for horror stories and advice as it might be interesting to get a sense of how widespread this behaviour is.  I'm sure its largely isolated and no reason to be concerned but it would be interesting to get a sense of the scale of the problem.  Do you think people would be interested in a survey?

I don't think you'll get anything more than "it happens and is largely isolated and no reason to be concerned."

It's happened to me once (apple thrown at me by a pedestrian) the toe-rag in question got winded for his troubles whilst his mate looked on laughing at him.

I've seen it happen to someone else on an Audax (McD drink thrown from a car). 999 called, not very interested, registration and description of car provided, no news on any outcome (hopefully they got round to visiting the registered keeper and having a little chat).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #302 on: 05 May, 2009, 05:50:39 pm »
To those who did not complete this ride. All is not lost.

I only started cycling 4 years ago age 44. I recall really struggling round my first 200km audax (Eureka) on the Cheshire plains. Since then I have have put the miles in and become fitter and stronger rider. (It also helps if you like cake ;) )

This was my first attempt at a 400km and I surprised myself at how quick I got round in the end.

I didn't have any horror stories en route to report apart from the drunk spotty adolescent who was throwing up in a dark corner of the car park as I returned. As least he wasn't doing it over my car!

simonp

« Reply #303 on: 05 May, 2009, 10:56:57 pm »

I'm wondering if I'm really cut out for long rides.

Possibly nutrition and/or sleep?

Martin

« Reply #304 on: 05 May, 2009, 11:14:19 pm »

I'm wondering if I'm really cut out for long rides.

Possibly nutrition and/or sleep?

indeed; this ride does require a good night's sleep (as you won't get one on the ride) and a large calorific intake. I carbo loaded with Chinese takeaway the night before had a round of toast at the start beans on at Woodstock baulked at the Tewkesbury cafe prices so ate rubbish from the high street plus various sweet treats from Liam en route; and still had an empty tank on arrival at Chepstow.

Looking at your Palmares on the AUK site you've definitely done enough 200's to be ready to move up to the longer distances.

Courage Mon Ami and have another try  :thumbsup:

« Reply #305 on: 14 January, 2010, 02:21:18 pm »
Bored of planning my calendar yet again so sending off my entry ridiculously early for this one.

Anyone else on this one? Goes through my home town of Wootton Bassett so a good chance of popping in for a bite and a snooze, time dependant.

Martin

« Reply #306 on: 14 January, 2010, 02:24:30 pm »
I think I was the very first entry (with a brevet card back to Chris in November) but am now out

great ride

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #307 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:44:56 pm »
Ladies, please see the new thread kindly supplied for the 2010 edition. :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles