Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2010  (Read 116494 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2010
« Reply #25 on: 22 February, 2010, 01:51:48 pm »

Will be entering the BCM this year if the Winter has gone by then!

Winter will be well gone by then, bring along John the Bike  :demon:

To save too much energy loss for those spending the night on the west bank, there's a top PH next to the Castle carpark.
It serves proper horizontal lubricant.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #26 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:01:25 pm »
Have I heard correctly that there is a bag drop service on the BCM? I have the routesheet and am starting to plan the ride. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Also, with the YHA, is it just a matter of fall asleep where there's a spare square metre or so?

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #27 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:04:42 pm »
Have I heard correctly that there is a bag drop service on the BCM? I have the routesheet and am starting to plan the ride. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Also, with the YHA, is it just a matter of fall asleep where there's a spare square metre or so?

You can book a bed and a wake-up call when you arrive. Ian (or whoever is running the place this year) keeps a log of what beds are spare. Just hope the person who slept before you wasn't wet.

Strangely the top bunks were totally dry, I'm assuming that by that stage no-one had the leg muscles to climb the ladder. Absolutely superb to be able to grab an hour or so in a real bed. Total BCM luxury.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #28 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:11:06 pm »
Sounds good enough.

On my other 600 I called in the services of my partner's campervan. Very cosy although the prospect of stepping out into the rain rather uninviting. I can only hope that the control crew are suitably unforgiving should I suggest that maybe I need another hour.

« Reply #29 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:14:47 pm »

You can book a bed and a wake-up call when you arrive. Ian (or whoever is running the place this year) keeps a log of what beds are spare.

I was rather hoping to ride this year.

(and ~I'm not sure you could accuse me of 'running' the control).

LEE

« Reply #30 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:17:32 pm »

You can book a bed and a wake-up call when you arrive. Ian (or whoever is running the place this year) keeps a log of what beds are spare. Just hope the person who slept before you wasn't wet.

Strangly the top bunks were totally dry, I'm assuming that by that stage no-one had the leg muscles to climb the ladder. Absolutely superb to be able to grab an hour or so in a real bed. Total BCM luxury.

The YHA is one of my Audax highlights.  I thought it was a welcome facility on my outbound leg but that is as nothing compared to how I felt when I arrived on the homeward leg, at daybreak on Sunday morning.

It was really well organised (despite a chaotic melee of wet cyclists wandering about).  I was allocated a bed in a separate Dorm and was presented with a list of brekky options (I think I ticked about 3 of the options).  Food turned up very quickly.  It really sets you up for the 2nd day.  
Just a shame my 2nd day was finished an hour after leaving the YHA.

Tip.  As you turn left towards the YHA, it's a very sharp "hairpin" left into a very steep climb, as steep as anything on the ride.  Engage 1st gear before you turn left or your thighs will not thank you.

« Reply #31 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:18:41 pm »

Don't rely on getting a bed. I didn't in 2007. They were all taken, this was at about 0100 IIRC. I slept on a sofa in the lounge.

« Reply #32 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:21:39 pm »
Tip.  As you turn left towards the YHA, it's a very sharp "hairpin" left into a very steep climb, as steep as anything on the ride.  Engage 1st gear before you turn left or your thighs will not thank you.

Fortunately I know the road from bitter experience on the 2008 Wild Wales Challenge and am expecting it. I also will not be taking the short cut through Gellilydan.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #33 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:22:21 pm »
I didn't even make it to the yha on the way out last year, never mind the way back! I have some unfinished business with this ride.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #34 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:38:18 pm »
Have I heard correctly that there is a bag drop service on the BCM?

As long as it isn't huge1 your bag will get transported from the start to the YH and back again.

Very useful as I had a 15L pannier and a small rucksack containing my non-riding stuff (Friday and Sunday night in SV Travelodge) and I was getting the train home Monday morning and going straight in to work. Not having to worry about where to leave the bags whilst doing the ride (and not having a car to leave it in) made it much easier. I had spare jersey/shorts/etc but didn't use them.

1. Space in the car between Chepstow and the YH isn't unlimited:

More photos of 2009 here: BCM600 2009 photos
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #35 on: 22 February, 2010, 05:12:34 pm »
I didn't even make it to the yha on the way out last year, never mind the way back! I have some unfinished business with this ride.

Well after The Dean where you left me in the dust (grunting and slobbering) you decided to ride BCM on fixed and do the hilly route. Has sense prevaled or ar you going to ride it on 92" just to show the Elan Valley what you are made of?
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #36 on: 22 February, 2010, 05:26:54 pm »
 ;D

Some days are good, some are bad. I bonked at the top of the Elan valley and that was that, my legs never came back!

I plan to ride it on the same 74" but without a weekends worth of gear in the camper long flap strapped to the saddle, and a 1 1/2 years of fixed riding in my legs. Might have more luck this time  ???
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Re: Brian Chapman Memorial 2010
« Reply #37 on: 22 February, 2010, 06:17:46 pm »
We stayed here last year and it was ver ver convenient for the start/finish and far too convenient for the flesh pots of Chepstow.

A numbers of us camped ut they did B&B too.

H

Thanks all for the recommendation, we're booked.
The nice chap on the phone remembered there being some sort of insanely long ride around that time last year, quite a group of campers. I forewarned him to expect the same this year  :D

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #38 on: 22 February, 2010, 09:45:48 pm »

You can book a bed and a wake-up call when you arrive. Ian (or whoever is running the place this year) keeps a log of what beds are spare.

And has the most gentle of caresses to awaken you with.

H

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Brian Chapman Memorial 2010
« Reply #39 on: 23 February, 2010, 08:00:47 pm »
I've just booked camping space at Upper Sedbury for this ride, and the Brevet Cymru. When I mentioned I'd like space for Friday 14th May the instant response was "Ah, this is for the cycling thing".
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Hummers

« Reply #40 on: 24 February, 2010, 10:23:27 am »
There is a reasonable chippy nearby and Lee et al went to the nearest local on the BC 400 and reported it as being OK  if not spectacular. Plenty of pubs, caffs and chippies in Chepstow though.

The place is a bit tricky to find and you will miss the turning if you are not careful. The lane it is on is a dead end but you7 can get through at the end by bike onto the main road into Chepstow.

For a small charge, the Mr Potts was happy for us to leave our cars there over the Saturday night.

All very nice.

H

Chris N

« Reply #41 on: 24 February, 2010, 10:27:26 am »
Good kebab shop in Sedbury too. :thumbsup:

LEE

« Reply #42 on: 02 March, 2010, 07:34:19 am »
Here we go again.

Just sent my entry form.

Metcheck are predicting 20degC during the day (note 1) with hazy sunshine (note 2), 14degC during the night (note 3) , dry (note 4), light South Easterlies on Saturday turning (note 5) slowly to light North Westerlies on Sunday (note 6).

"Stringfellows" nightclub are holding their annual "Miss erotic Dancer" competition in Dolgellau YHA that same weekend (note 7) so there's a degree of bed-sharing required and it all clashes with the Welsh finals of the "World's Best Cooked Breakfast" competition (Note 8 ).

Note 1 - Subject to change, Note 2 - Subject to change, Note 3 - Subject to change, Note 4 - Subject to change, Note 5 - Subject to change, Note 6 - Subject to change, Note 7 - Subject to change, Note 8 - Subject to change

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #43 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:30:51 am »

"Stringfellows" nightclub are holding their annual "Miss erotic Dancer" competition in Dolgellau YHA that same weekend (note 7) so there's a degree of bed-sharing required

and you could contemplate cycling another 300K - after "bed sharing" with an erotic dancer - you are a much fitter man than me Sir !!
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #44 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:49:20 am »

"Stringfellows" nightclub are holding their annual "Miss erotic Dancer" competition in Dolgellau YHA that same weekend (note 7) so there's a degree of bed-sharing required

and you could contemplate cycling another 300K - after "bed sharing" with an erotic dancer - you are a much fitter man than me Sir !!

No, he's just a heavy sleeper.
Owner of a languishing Langster

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #45 on: 02 March, 2010, 01:08:03 pm »

I was rather hoping to ride this year.

(and ~I'm not sure you could accuse me of 'running' the control).

Oh I dunno, you did come round and shout that it wasn't a real fire alarm
Not that anyone was moving anyway

Hummers

« Reply #46 on: 02 March, 2010, 01:34:31 pm »

Nah, it'll be Mark Rigby dressed in a Mankini with nipple tassles.

Just like last year.

H

« Reply #47 on: 04 March, 2010, 04:11:41 pm »
I've been really slow getting into gear this year. The BCM has been on my wish list for ages. Is it too late to register now?

border-rider

« Reply #48 on: 04 March, 2010, 04:39:31 pm »
No

I've not entered yet either

I must do it soon.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #49 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:07:57 pm »
See you there.  I'm hoping that Britain is due a dry year by now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...