Author Topic: Ill Cat  (Read 17387 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Ill Cat
« Reply #50 on: 03 August, 2010, 02:32:24 pm »
Yes, best wishes to Talisker.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: 03 August, 2010, 04:02:00 pm »
Oh poor kitty, I hope he's better soon.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #52 on: 03 August, 2010, 05:23:45 pm »
Just wondering if there is an (easy) way to re-hydrate moggies other than using a drip?

I'd love to know a better way, given that this is the third time recently that he's ended up on a drip.

Apparently cat's have a low thirst reflex, since they get a lot of their water requirement through eating meat.

Since Talisker loves cat milk, I'm always happy to feed it to him, and make sure he gets some more fluids that way.

I'd love to know an easy way to get fluids into him when he gets ill, but today he didn't even want to know about milk.

Like hellymedic said, unfortunately the easiet approach is probably a drip. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #53 on: 03 August, 2010, 06:16:40 pm »
The vet just rang back, and says that some of the tests show that his kidneys have almost completely shut down, which isn't good (he asked about Lillies, which Googling suggests can be a factor with cats suffering like this). :(

Apparently he's in much the same condition as he was when I took him in, so not a happy cat.  Clearly taking him in asap wasn't a bad decision, he's very ill.

The only bright aspect is that because I took him in for a blood test for his Hyperthyroidism a few weeks back, they have something to compare some of the test results to.

He definitely won't be coming home tomorrow, he's too ill for that, so I'll ring them back tomorrow and see how he's doing.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #54 on: 03 August, 2010, 06:31:16 pm »
 :(

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #55 on: 03 August, 2010, 06:37:11 pm »

Oh, poor Talisker.

I hope he get better soonest.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #56 on: 03 August, 2010, 06:54:35 pm »

More fingers crossed here.

« Reply #57 on: 03 August, 2010, 06:58:41 pm »
Fingers crossed here too

border-rider

« Reply #58 on: 03 August, 2010, 07:26:11 pm »
Fingers and paws crossed here too.

Give him a stroke from us.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #59 on: 03 August, 2010, 08:02:37 pm »
Hope he gets well soon.

Not wishing to darken the mood, has there been any report of cats in your area suffering kidney shutdown after drinking glycol/antifreeze contaminated water?

A quick search of the BBC suggests a spate of this in Bridgewater a couple of years ago, and recently in Merseyside too.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #60 on: 03 August, 2010, 08:40:26 pm »
As far as I know there's no occurrence of cats suffering from that around here.  At a guess it's something he's eaten, but I don't know what or where.  I hadn't realised that Lily's can cause this, but I don't have any.

The trouble with cats, is that mostly we let them wander around as they see fit.  My sister's cats are indoors only, they only go out under supervision, or on leads (walkies!), so it's not a problem with them, but mostly in the UK we let our moggies wander around.  If someone has left something out which they shouldn't eat or drink, it's hard for us to stop them. :-\

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #61 on: 03 August, 2010, 11:46:18 pm »
Age and lillies have been the cause of kidney failure in our cats. Acute failure in a young lad from biting two lily leaves. He died in under a week, very sad. Then there is Alfie (age 16), whose kidney blood counts are the worst our vet has seen, but he carries on with his renal diet and surprises the vet. He has pills for blood pressure, which is a side effect of the kidney malfunction.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #62 on: 04 August, 2010, 12:01:40 am »
As far as I know there's no occurrence of cats suffering from that around here.  At a guess it's something he's eaten, but I don't know what or where.  I hadn't realised that Lily's can cause this, but I don't have any.

The trouble with cats, is that mostly we let them wander around as they see fit.  My sister's cats are indoors only, they only go out under supervision, or on leads (walkies!), so it's not a problem with them, but mostly in the UK we let our moggies wander around.  If someone has left something out which they shouldn't eat or drink, it's hard for us to stop them. :-\

Any updates Tim? Thinking about you and Tallisker.

« Reply #63 on: 04 August, 2010, 08:33:53 am »
I just rung up the vet, and the receptionist said that he had a comfortable night, so at least he's still alive. :-\

I'll ring them back later and hopefully get more details from one of the vets.

I guess the trouble now, is whether he's got enough renal function left to recover from the state his body is in, and then to keep going on (presumably on a special CRF diet).  If he does survive all this, I suspect he's going to have to end up as an indoors cat, which he's not going to like.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #64 on: 04 August, 2010, 10:06:17 am »
Alfie is an indoor cat now. He tries to get out but is too slow and leisurely to naje it past us, with our experience of cat escapes.

« Reply #65 on: 04 August, 2010, 10:23:40 am »
Poor Tallisker.  :'(
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #66 on: 04 August, 2010, 10:52:59 am »
Alfie is an indoor cat now. He tries to get out but is too slow and leisurely to naje it past us, with our experience of cat escapes.

Move one key left Jaded.... ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #67 on: 04 August, 2010, 10:59:40 am »

Talisker has always been a bit too relaxed and slow to escape the house!

A few years back, when my ex-wife was looking after Talisker, I used to have him when they went away.  I was living in a flat, and he never made a significant attempt to escape.  Even when he got out the door (mainly through me getting a bike in and leaving lots of space), he just looked around and didn't move fast enough to stop me wandering back out and picking him up!

« Reply #68 on: 04 August, 2010, 11:06:02 am »
I just talked to one of the nurses, the vet whose dealing with Talisker is in surgery at the moment, and she says that he's more active, walking about, and has eaten some food, which is definitely an improvement over where he was.

I'll try and talk to the vet later this afternoon, and see if he has a better idea of the outlook, and how long we'll have to wait to know what his condition is.

border-rider

« Reply #69 on: 04 August, 2010, 11:10:18 am »
I suspect he's going to have to end up as an indoors cat, which he's not going to like.

It may work out OK - they tend to lose confidence in being outside alone as they get older and more fragile anyway.  Our old, old cat (before Ol & Amy) was a fierce hunting cat in her semi-feral youth, but in the last couple of years demanded a litter tray (by pointedly weeing on my foot), and would only go out accompanied.

border-rider

« Reply #70 on: 04 August, 2010, 11:10:42 am »
I just talked to one of the nurses, the vet whose dealing with Talisker is in surgery at the moment, and she says that he's more active, walking about, and has eaten some food, which is definitely an improvement over where he was.

I'll try and talk to the vet later this afternoon, and see if he has a better idea of the outlook, and how long we'll have to wait to know what his condition is.

Great news :)

ian

« Reply #71 on: 04 August, 2010, 11:14:10 am »
Our old cat had similar symptoms. She had thyroid issues initially that seemed to lead to kidney problems and what best might be described as metabolic instability. It seems to be a cat thing. The thyroid and kidney medication doesn’t mix too well, so it was a case of treating one or the other. She had a few stays at the vets for rehydration and usually did fine. I don’t think there was any outside influence, it was just one of those things. It did eventually get the better of her, unfortunately, but she survived into a reasonable old age. You do have to keep an eye on them for the signs for dehydration and unfortunately you can't make the little critters drink.

« Reply #72 on: 04 August, 2010, 11:18:42 am »
Even though he's got thyroid problems, I don't think the vet thinks that this is related.  One of the tests was for renal function, and they did the same test a couple of weeks ago, and the kidney was fine then.  I suspect that since this seems to have happened so suddenly, that it's probably down to something that he's eaten, either part of a Lily, or possible some sort of poison for vermin.

« Reply #73 on: 04 August, 2010, 12:34:40 pm »
Glad he seems to be rallying, Tim.

« Reply #74 on: 04 August, 2010, 07:23:00 pm »
In just had a chat to the vet, and he seems less certain than he was that this is chronic renal failure.  It could just be some sort of (possibly kidney) infection, which is obviously rather nasty, but not half as bad.

The vet thinks he may be able to come home tomorrow, or failing that probably Friday.  It partially depends on the results of a urine test which haven't come back yet.

Anyway, it sounds like he's much more his normal self, and eating food again.  His thyroid levels are a bit buggered up (partly because he's missed a couple of days worth of pills), but that if anything would suppress his appetite, so the fact that he's eating is very good. :thumbsup:

So overall his status sounds pretty good at the moment. :)