Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 259569 times)

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #825 on: 19 July, 2016, 11:54:26 pm »
I went to see the plot steward about the overgrown plot next to mine - he's given the current tenant notice, which will expire at the end of the month. ....
All in all, a very successful visit to the site. (Assuming the current tenants don't suddenly get all enthusiastic)
There's a bloke on our site who's been clinging on by a whisker for ages. He's been given notice, put in a short burst of activity, been allowed to stay. Rinse & repeat. And he complains that he shouldn't be hassled, because he keeps it tidy. :facepalm: He doesn't seem able to grasp that turning up occasionally & dumping weedkiller on his plot, or planting some widely spaced maize which he never harvests, is missing the point. The plot is for growing things, not hanging on to for the sake of it.

It might be different if we had different management, but it's a small site directly run by the council.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #826 on: 21 July, 2016, 06:23:00 pm »
Nothing but I got told about the politics in allotment up keep. Two people whom I have never seen before let me know that the councils are up to no good. The road - that I walk the mutt up to get to the green - is the access road to the allotments which is cared for by the county and the allotments are over seen by the town. The county have just put up a gate and is planning to block vehicular access. The road is about 200 yards long up hill and ends in a car park, room for 2-3 with further 5-6 inside the gate to the allotment. Sooo why are they blocking access and calling it a path, when there is speed bumps and signs that they are about to resurface - I was asked. Along with a moan about the upkeep of the grass - well weed - verges, they - the councils - never come up here. Where shall we park, how can I carry 5 x 100 litres compost up that hill, the neighbours would moan if we park at the bottom, the councils never talk together, already spend £1000 on the gate/bollard thing* etc etc.

From the posters at the entrance and the headline on the local rag I take it that there have been a meeting today and they weren't best pleased.

* Which they have done in a crap way. We looked at it about two weeks ago and quickly figured that if you drive a car through it you would have to go off the tarmac and over time that would just make a major mess. Oh yes they left a little gap on the side for wheelbarrows, though I do think that most of the wheelbarrows I have seen up on the allotment would struggle to squeeze though.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #827 on: 21 July, 2016, 11:04:37 pm »
We don't have vehicular access & never have had, but we should be getting a vehicle gate & enough hard standing for one truck later this year, opened for deliveries by prior arrangement.

Done today - watering! And picking two cucumbers.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #828 on: 29 July, 2016, 04:53:12 pm »
I have just got a small plot and so have started looking here.

today finished the first rough dig,  (I think the first in about 5 years ).
Planted out some leek plants that I was given, as well as some beetroot seedlings.  See how they go.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #829 on: 29 July, 2016, 05:42:13 pm »
I had a very quick visit to the plot today on my way home from my volunteering job on the canal - picked three courgettes, and barrowed three more loads of wood chippings from the communal pile onto my heap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #830 on: 31 July, 2016, 09:22:41 am »
Yesterday we managed a good session - officially told we could take on the adjacent plot, so I did a monumental amount of strimming, and sprayed far too much glyphosate (yes, I know). There's all sorts of cr@p underneath the growth, which will need to be removed.
Picked some spuds, courgettes, broad beans, raspberries, blackberries, onions (that the slugs had had the tops of) and sowed some swede and turnip in a couple of new raised beds.

« Reply #831 on: 05 August, 2016, 08:06:39 pm »
Not really down at the plot,   but I sowed some seeds of spring cabbage, as well as some kale and put them in the greenhouse at home.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #832 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:38:49 pm »
Cut and watered the lawn.  I shudder to think what my water bill will be (I'm on an evil meter; my work colleague has been watering his new turf 24/7 at no cost because he isn't metered) but a new lawn seeded at the start of June really needs to be mollycoddled.  It's looking pretty good - there are a few small bare patches still but it should be thick and complete by the end of this month, which is about right.

I'm also having to look after the rear lawn at the rented house in the town centre, which is empty until the 19th.  The front garden has small ornamental beds which are a mess of weeds and litter.  I occasionally spray the weeds with glyphosate but it doesn't work on the litter, which is just as bad after 24 hours if cleared up.  I'm sure the do-as-ya-likeys next door just fling their used baby wipes from the car (a giant Brokeback Mountain pickup) onto the garden, as well as using our wheelie bin for their overflow fag packets and pizza boxes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #833 on: 08 August, 2016, 10:48:15 pm »
Picked four cucumbers (& there'll be more in a couple of days - time to start finding people who like Japanese cucumbers to give some away to). Fennel's coming along nicely. Plenty of French beans, komatsuna & radishes ready to eat. First japanese cabbage ready! No more cabbage buying for a long time, considering how much further behind many of them are. Some of the leeks could be eaten now.

Chugging along nicely except for the disappointingly green tomatoes. Plenty of 'em, but green, green, green!

« Reply #834 on: 13 August, 2016, 06:55:08 pm »
We brought home a big bunch of roses and gladioli. We got some huge blackberries from the bush bordering the top of the plot, a few raspberries and some measly strawberries. The last of the broad beans are now out.
I've made some more temporary 'roofing tile raised beds' and put salad stuff in them.
Plus the usual weeding.....
Most importantly I've staked out where seven of the fruit cordons are going on the second plot, in advance of digging holes to prepare the ground for the trees; I'm also confident that I know where two of the bush trees are going. But, the bottom end of this plot is turning into a problem - full of buried 'treasure' - mostly string, plastic and odd bits of wood, it's also much more uneven than the other end, so it might need the winter to sort it out.

« Reply #835 on: 13 August, 2016, 09:28:52 pm »
Picked french beans for dinner (tasty - eaten half an hour after picking), & a cucumber, radishes & kabu for tomorrow.

We ate the first cabbage two days ago & none of the others are quite ready yet.

« Reply #836 on: 23 August, 2016, 05:43:40 am »
Have been able pick loads Runner beans, so far about 15lb from nearly 70 plants at locations across garden and same to come. After early blossom end rot courgettes doing well and steady supply; tomatos indoors all ripened now---a very warm conservatory  :thumbsup:  Masses of Vampire chillis coming on  two large plants---raised from last years seeds of an F1 strain so slightly surprised that they`ve fruited so well, over 100 pods present

Slight downside of ravaging attack on broccoli and purple sprouting broccoli by caterpillars, one day plants were OK next stripped of leaves. Have tried combination of flicking caterpillars off, and spraying with dilute washing up liquid which has reduced numbers but fear a lot of plants destroyed :(
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #837 on: 04 September, 2016, 02:29:18 pm »
Having been away for the past five weekends (including a two week holiday) I've finally got out into the garden.
So far I have pruned the cherries and plums (well overdue), sorted the tomatoes, tidied the pond a bit, cut a hazel in the front garden back down to the ground (I'm trying to get rid of it the lazy way and failing), pruned the summer raspberries, and done a bit of weeding.
Both lawns need mowing, there's a load of weeding which still needs doing...
And MrsC has decide the herb garden (mostly raised beds and pots on the patio) needs a good sorting out this autumn.
I suppose I should get back outside really.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #838 on: 06 September, 2016, 08:13:04 am »
Greengages. We've always had two greengage trees on our allotment plot, but there's three more (plus saplings) on the second plot. Over the last five days I've brought home eight bucket loads of greengages. That's without going up the stepladder.
Yesterday I cut down the saplings that had no more fruit on them and cut out some of he dead / crossing branches - I've now got two huge bonfires building nicely for the 1st October (when we're allowed to have incendiaries on our plots) - I think they'll be visible from space.
The second plot now has a good path along the edge topped with wood chippings, and weed control fabric over where most of the fruit trees are going. The bottom end of this plot is looking more problematic than I expected due to the amount of buried crap I'm finding (cans, plastic, metal objects, wood) which needs digging out before I can use it.
I've cleared out the two sheds I've inherited - no treasure, just more crap.
The free horse muck I got, that I mulched the potatoes with was the worst stuff ever - it contained super-charged couch grass, that all now needs digging out. I think that's a fallow area for next year.
The small raised salad beds made with roofing tiles are proving a big success, best salad I've ever grown - I wonder if the concrete tiles are heating up in the sun enough to give a little warmth to the bed.

« Reply #839 on: 08 September, 2016, 07:01:14 pm »
The cucumber glut is in full swing, & now the tomato glut strikes!

« Reply #840 on: 08 October, 2016, 01:32:57 pm »
Strawberries planted though I'm probably 4-6 weeks late and they may not make it through the winter. Another bed had been prepared for gooseberries redcurrants and raspberries which have been ordered and should arrive in 2 weeks.

« Reply #841 on: 08 October, 2016, 06:25:40 pm »
Picked what I think is probably the last cucumber. Those still on the plants don't look as if they'll get big enough to eat.

« Reply #842 on: 08 October, 2016, 07:57:14 pm »
Another bonfire!
Mrs M planted 35 of her rooted strawberry runners, and I put in a few broad bean seeds to overwinter.
Picked a few beetroot, and probably the last of the squash.
And digging, and more digging.
I've had a rethink with the second plot, and am going to putt six more stakes in for the fruit trees.

Sent from my Xtouch using Tapatalk

« Reply #843 on: 09 October, 2016, 07:55:24 pm »
Installed all the eyebolts and wires ready to support the Raspberries and the gooseberry and redcurrent cordons.

Tasks left are to dig in manure in the beds and then plant in the new plants when they arrive in a couple of weeks.

« Reply #844 on: 10 October, 2016, 04:46:35 pm »
Picked crabapples

We planted a tree 18 months ago, didn't harvest any fruit last year. What a mistake and waste.

This year was a bumper harvest. MrsC decided she's going to make crab apple wine and we set to harvesting. 23lbs from one little tree!

I tried eating some, they are actually really sweet and juicy, I'd assumed they would be too tart.

They've all gone into the freezer now.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #845 on: 14 October, 2016, 06:14:26 pm »
 Helped seven other plot holders tale some trees and bushes down on a hedge-line that had gone rampant. How no-one got seriously injured I don't know. Last time I get involved in amateur hedge hacking (and amateur chain-sawing).

« Reply #846 on: 16 October, 2016, 05:43:16 pm »
150 litres of manure dug into the beds ready for planting the soft fruit in a couple of weeks. I have another 100l ready to mulch the plant once they are in.

« Reply #847 on: 25 October, 2016, 10:18:36 am »
Planted the garlic last weekend, hope they'll be more successful than in the past.  A "hard necked" variety called Red Duke, supposedly a really pungent one.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #848 on: 25 October, 2016, 11:35:32 am »
Prepared my rose bed and am now waiting for the last of the flowers to die before I move the shrub roses which I propagated from cuttings into it.

Have also mulched with a lot with Beech leaves and started coppicing and pollarding the Beech and Wych Elm.

Once that's done I'm going to plant a new 2 acre coppice with Hornbeam and Oak which I grew from seed and hedging it with thorn mix to keep the deer out.

« Reply #849 on: 26 October, 2016, 12:12:47 pm »
Picked a couple of Laxton's Superb from the tree just before getting in the car for work.  Truly the best apples ever!

Still getting a handful of delicious raspberries in the evenings when Junior gets home from nursery.  Since we finished the fruit cage (5mx7mx2.2m) last weekend, we've got high hopes that next year's soft fruit (raspberries, currants, gooseberries, blueberries, strawberries) won't all get nicked by the birds.

The netting on the top is removable so that it won't tear under snow loading, and the sides are chicken wire up to about 80cm and down beneath the soil surface to prevent/deter ingress by our geese and the neighbourhood rabbits.