Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 137989 times)

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #1225 on: September 02, 2020, 03:23:44 pm »
My tomatoes went mad when we had the hot spell at end of July and collapsed. Decided to leave them to it as already damaged the plants but tomatoes growing well although with the weather cooling off don't know if they will all ripen or not

« Reply #1226 on: September 11, 2020, 05:19:54 pm »
Cleared away the Gardeners Delights as they had blight. Took the remains to the tip, and scored 6 heavy duty plastic sack a couple of ladies were going to dump (log bags from the local farm shop).

Also sorted through the Big Daddies ripening nicely in the greenhouse

Untitled by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1227 on: September 12, 2020, 04:00:09 pm »
Beginning the autumn clearance. Wild sweet peas and a clematis removed from the front of the house, and the bay bush pruned back. Then onto the patio at the back, again a clematis down, and a bay pruned. That’s 7 full sacks of stuff to go to the tip Monday evening.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1228 on: September 12, 2020, 07:04:28 pm »
Dug maincrop 'Rooster' potatoes.

They have got wireworm badly.  >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1229 on: September 22, 2020, 10:13:49 am »
Anyone have any idea what the culprit is for this damage to the roots of my swiss chard? I noticed the same when harvesting a few beetroot.  There are slugs about as evidenced by leaf damage (until the beer traps took care of them) but i've never seen anything like this before.

I'm thinking rabbits, but I've never seen any in the garden

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1230 on: October 10, 2020, 04:42:58 pm »
The seasons change. Yesterday and today I have removed all the tomato plants and cleared away the grow-bags from the outside ones. The next stage is to sweep up where the grow-bags were and put the two cold frames there. (The cold frames will have to wait until the chap doing the hard-landscaping job has finished.) And I need to wash the greenhouse down. Changing to 'winter'.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1231 on: October 10, 2020, 05:30:41 pm »
Grease banded the fruit trees.  Dog! That stuff if difficult to wash off your hands.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

« Reply #1232 on: October 10, 2020, 05:32:43 pm »
Last of the spuds dug. Tomato plants uprooted and composted. Courgette and cucumber plants ditto. Courgette/cucumber tyre towers refilled with manure and covered. Runner beans cleared. The last of the zinnias, dahlias and sunflowers cut. Still a lot of clearing to do.
Rust never sleeps

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #1233 on: October 10, 2020, 05:35:32 pm »
I picked some more French beans and cut a cabbage, but the soil is too wet at the moment to do much. Hopefully we will get a few days' dry weather soon.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

ElyDave

« Reply #1234 on: October 10, 2020, 10:02:36 pm »
My runner beans are still going, though the outdoor toms need to come down, a few have succumbed to blight with the change in weather. Indoors still OK, but I now need room for winter lettuces. Some good tat soi coming on though

« Reply #1235 on: October 17, 2020, 09:21:15 pm »
One of the wooden retaining walls on our (stupidly steep) garden had rotted - boards and two of the posts. One post I dug out to arm depth, then got bored and put a big lump of rock in the hole. Then added a temporary set of boards and posts from the spare wood collection. Temporary because they’re a bit mismatched as I’ve been unable to buy either met posts or fresh treated wood this week - apparently there’s a shortage of fence posts.

ElyDave

« Reply #1236 on: October 18, 2020, 06:08:39 pm »
I encountered a shortage of potting grit yesterday,  ended with something more gravel than the kind of stuff you'd use on alpines.  It goes in my potting mix for bonsai

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #1237 on: October 19, 2020, 04:37:27 pm »
A very pleasant autumn day today Not especially warm, but this has been a cool October round here.

I jut spent half an hour preparing the ground and sowing a double row of Aquadulce broad beans. I will probably sow another tomorrow morning.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.