Author Topic: Does having a rack affect the handling of your bike?  (Read 6517 times)

Does having a rack affect the handling of your bike?
« on: 11 March, 2010, 06:28:25 pm »
As teh weather begins to warm up  ::-) , methinks that I'll no longer be happy with my usual lightly loaded rucksac as it'll make me too hot. My current favoured commuting bike is a steel framed fixed. (gratuitous pic here). I am considering getting a rack + Arkel Tailrider or similar.

Another more long term reason for doing this is that I might then also get a rack for my Van Nicholas Yukon. This, in turn, would allow me to take my seat-post mounted bag off. This would enable me to fit a carbon seatpost on that bike.

Anyhoo, thoughts? I recall reading somewhere about these parts a comment on a possible negative effect on handling.

Would you put a rack on that?

border-rider

Re: Does having a rack affect the handling of your bike?
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:31:29 pm »
The rack itself won't be noticeable.   If it inspires you to drag more stuff round with you, that may be ;)

Would I fit a rack to that ? Yes if I wanted to.   No if I thought it looked better without and I didn't really need to.

« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:35:10 pm »
I don't have any problem with handling from a rack plus lightly loaded rack pack.

Shove a pair of heavily loaded panniers on, & it's a different matter.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:36:00 pm »
Stick 40lb of gear on the back and yes, it makes a right pig's ear of the handling.  Tank-slappers at 30mph, in the case of my Hewitt.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:36:21 pm »
It would probably affect the handling less than a seatpost mounted bag of similar size would. As the weight would be lower down, and not swing about as much.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:39:31 pm »
You'll get used to the effect on handling of a rack with some luggage within five minutes, and then forget it was ever any different.  So you can't call it negative.  Unless you put an enormous weight on it, it won't stop you riding fast out of the saddle as well as on.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #6 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:52:31 pm »
I fitted a rack recently. Ive never had one on my bike before.
No handling difference from when it was on to when it was off.
I strapped my lock on top of it the other day(it normally goes in my back pocket, was so much nicer to not have it digging in, pulling the back of my jersey down) and this was when i noticed a difference.
You could feel more weight was on the bike, and not low down. This was noticeable more when i stood up. You could feel more of a sway.
Another thing which was noticed was, obviously, more weight on the bike. When i leg braked at first you could tell there was more momentum with the bike. I seemed to brake a normal amount with my legs, then have to up the pressure being applied. Never noticed that when i had the lock in my back pocket. Might have just been me though. I soon adjusted though.
Im yet to ride it with a pannier on. I might strap my bag to the rack tomorrow when im on my way over to my GF's, or might just keep it on my back.

But to answer your question, the rack itself didnt really change the handling of my bike at all. Its quite a light rack anyway, much lighter then what i would have thought anyway.

If you are going to use the rack then fit one. Mine is going to be left on all year round(but then i plan to attach and antenna to it for a radio, i do amateur radio) and will be used all year round.

I think the time when my rack and pannier(should hopefully have it by then) will be a god send will be the next Saturday(the 20th) and just about any other time i ride to my GFs after work.
I have clothes for the weekend in my bag, plus work clothes, plus wash bag, plus trainers and my bag on my back is full to overflowing. So being able to put most of my stuff in the pannier will be great!

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Really Ancien

« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:52:56 pm »
It will partly depend on the quality of the rack, you don't want masses oscillating at the ends of the bike, so some form of cross bracing is needed, as are secure attachments, does this bike have rack points or are we talking 'p' clips here. For all that you only want the rack for work stuff you will inevitably end up carrying home 5lb of potatoes, 2 bottles of wine, 2lb of onions etc. it's a waste otherwise, so get a good rack which will take decent panniers.

Damon.

« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:54:02 pm »
How much a rack and pannier affects the handling depends to a large extent on your riding style. If you're a both-wheels-on-the-ground-at-all-times kind of rider, you'll probably adapt to it very quickly and the only difference will be a thunk when you go over a pothole. (as previous posts)

If (like me) you tend to charge around town hopping up and down kerbs/ over potholes etc, then a rack kinda puts a stop to this. I have bikes with and without racks, which changes my riding style quite a lot depending what bike I'm on. You also have to get used to how wide your bike is with a pannier - limits the gaps in traffic you can get through!

Having said all that, I'm hoping to install a rack on my fixie for the same reason as you.

« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:54:07 pm »
Specifically, the Yukon will accept a rack and rack-bag well.  I barely notice whether it's on or off (unladen obviously!).
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #10 on: 11 March, 2010, 07:08:31 pm »
I'll peruse this all properly later, but for now:

does this bike have rack points or are we talking 'p' clips here

First I considered brake bolt mounted racks but I'm pretty sure these will not suit my intended rack pack and in addition I'm not sure if it is a great solution in terms of stability. (But then how rigid does it need to be, there has to be a bit of flex going on.)
So, P-clips. I think these look to be best of the type:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Tubus-Tubus-Clamp-Set--Rack-Eyes-for-Seat-Stay-Mounting-12723.htm

Properly sized and fitted I think those would do the job in a way that won't mar my frame.

a both-wheels-on-the-ground-at-all-times kind of rider

Is there another kind?  :P

« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2010, 07:12:39 pm »
It will partly depend on the quality of the rack, you don't want masses oscillating at the ends of the bike, so some form of cross bracing is needed, as are secure attachments, does this bike have rack points or are we talking 'p' clips here. For all that you only want the rack for work stuff you will inevitably end up carrying home 5lb of potatoes, 2 bottles of wine, 2lb of onions etc. it's a waste otherwise, so get a good rack which will take decent panniers.

Damon.

I might end up with more then 5lb of weight on my rack.
About 20kg, one of them huge bags of spuds.
Rack can take 25kg apparently.
I sat on it and didnt seem to bother it much.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #12 on: 11 March, 2010, 07:49:04 pm »
a both-wheels-on-the-ground-at-all-times kind of rider

Is there another kind?  :P
You'll be fine with a rack and panniers then  ;)

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #13 on: 11 March, 2010, 08:59:22 pm »

Damon.

I might end up with more then 5lb of weight on my rack.
About 20kg, one of them huge bags of spuds.
Rack can take 25kg apparently.
I sat on it and didnt seem to bother it much.

You'd be amazed how much more weight you can comfortably carry in panniers/on a rack than on your back.

25kg will affect your bike's handling, no matter where you put it.  Anyhow - for utility cycling, racks rock (so to speak).

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #14 on: 11 March, 2010, 09:06:26 pm »
<glances at thread>

Hmm...

Still not NSFW.

<expresses surprise>
There's no vibrations, but wait.

gordon taylor

« Reply #15 on: 11 March, 2010, 09:06:53 pm »
I once had a bike without a rack.

I never, ever found any use for it.  ;D

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 11 March, 2010, 09:14:13 pm »
That Bob Jackson is too nice to be spoiled with a rack.

Get yerself an SQR block anna nice big Carradice.  You know it makes sense  :thumbsup:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #17 on: 11 March, 2010, 09:30:51 pm »
I'm having a horrible feeling that, for that bike, you might be right. I just don't feel... Ready.

« Reply #18 on: 11 March, 2010, 09:34:13 pm »
My bikes feel much better with no racks on. Might be the reduced weight, might be something to do with the way the frame flexes. So at the moment none of my bikes have a rack

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #19 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:24:27 pm »

It must do.
If there's any sense at all in the minutiae of frame construction, pencil seat stays, carbon seat stays, hydroformed chainstays etc etc etc
Never mind what you carry on it.

Otherwise, we could all cut our losses and buy a Halfords Decathlon Raleigh Asda bike.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:28:04 pm »
That Bob Jackson is too nice to be spoiled with a rack.

Get yerself an SQR block anna nice big Carradice.  You know it makes sense  :thumbsup:

SQR?  When he could have a Bagman?  You need your head examining, young lady ;)
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #21 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:28:38 pm »

It must do.
If there's any sense at all in the minutiae of frame construction, pencil seat stays, carbon seat stays, hydroformed chainstays etc etc etc

I'm not sure I understand why that should be so.  If it's a light rack it'll make no real difference to the way the rear triangle flexes

Never mind what you carry on it.

That's the important thing.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #22 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:41:04 pm »
Thing is, if the bike can take a rack at all, then it ain't all that good, so you might as well fit a rack.  Ok, I'm joking.  Well, a bit.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #23 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:45:27 pm »
I'm having a horrible feeling that, for that bike, you might be right. I just don't feel... Ready.

A saddle bag will affect the handling especially if it is heavily loaded. All weight will affect handling in some way, placing it high will have greatest effect on stability.

« Reply #24 on: 11 March, 2010, 11:51:25 pm »
It must do.
Who said there was any sense in the minutiae of frame construction etc?
Haven't you heard of marketing?