Author Topic: My Collar Bone  (Read 5906 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: My Collar Bone
« Reply #25 on: 11 April, 2010, 08:56:56 pm »
And two days later there is no news.

Oh God.  Stephen Milligan, Michael Hutchence, David Carradine, Kristian Digby and now bobb.

How many more must die?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zoidburg

« Reply #26 on: 11 April, 2010, 09:00:44 pm »
You can go round and smash the door down.

I got the last one.

:hand:

« Reply #27 on: 13 May, 2010, 04:48:37 pm »
Just got back from several hours at the hospital. It's still fucked. Started to heal a bit, but I have to continue keeping my right arm in a sling. My next appointment is in two months! TWO MONTHS more of this misery and left handed wanking!

I was so looking forward to a summer on the bike after the miserable winter, but that's my summer fucked.  :'(
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #28 on: 13 May, 2010, 04:51:50 pm »
Just got back from several hours at the hospital. It's still fucked. Started to heal a bit, but I have to continue keeping my right arm in a sling. My next appointment is in two months! TWO MONTHS more of this misery and left handed wanking!

I was so looking forward to a summer on the bike after the miserable winter, but that's my summer fucked.  :'(

Anything I can do to help relieve your 'tension'?  ;)

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #29 on: 13 May, 2010, 04:54:28 pm »
What you need is a trike with a back pedal brake for the rear.

« Reply #30 on: 13 May, 2010, 08:43:29 pm »

Anything I can do to help relieve your 'tension'?  ;)

;D

I'm doing OK at the moment, but if my left arm gives up, I'll let you know  ;)

« Reply #31 on: 17 October, 2011, 04:39:49 pm »
How did this work out?  Did it all heal up nicely eventually?

I'm asking because I'm on day 19 after breaking my right collar bone (knocked off by a car entering the roundabout I was already on).  Consultant last Tuesday (day 13) didn't even take a look at it, but dismissed my concerns that it didn't seem to be fusing as 'normal after this amount of time'.  There's no doubt that it's less uncomfortable than it was a week ago, but it still feels like the broken ends are separate from each other.

« Reply #32 on: 20 October, 2011, 12:01:39 pm »
It has all turned out fine!

I was due to have it pinned about 5 months after I had broken it and had a bed waiting for me to have it done. Unfortunately (or fortunately - depends which way you look at it!) I couldn't have the operation due to other health reasons.

A couple of months after that, I went back and the consultant said I never needed to have it pinned anyway as it had started to heal on its own at last. A couple of months after that he gave me the all clear.

I started using it again fully with only very minor niggles, but they soon went away. 18 months later and I'd almost forgotten I did it. In fact a year later I could have said the same thing.

I never notice it. Ever. Not even after an afternoon of MTB mayhem that involves plenty of offs!

I can carry a heavy rucksack no problem - I do it without even thinking about it.

In fact, I started playing golf again a few months ago and I can carry my clubs over my shoulder with no ill effects whatsoever. And swing a club!

It is 100% fixed. Like I say - I don't even think about it at all any more. The same thing cannot be said of other stuff I've broken. I still get the odd sharp pain in my left wrist (usually when playing guitar) and I broke that 14 years ago. So maybe I have been lucky with my collar bone. Either that or collar bones don't do as much as wrists. Dunno.

Bon chance with yours!

Btw - 19 days doesn't seem like a very long time. Mine took a lot longer than that before it started to fuse properly.

« Reply #33 on: 20 October, 2011, 12:13:42 pm »
Length of time to fuse depends on (among other things) age, fitness & state of health. A 40 year old regular cyclist known to me (OK, me) in good health was once told by an A&E doctor that it'd probably be knitted together in two weeks. On expressing surprise,  I was told that she'd knocked several years off my age because of my exercise levels.

Two weeks later, I went back for a checkup & found she was right. All closed up. The orthopaedic doctor who checked it wasn't surprised. Another three weeks to let it harden a bit & I was off to Normandy for a week of cycling.

Similar age & poor health, or older, & they'd expect it to take longer.

Y'know, Bobb's painfully acquired expertise in left-handed wanking now looks wasted. A pity, eh?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #34 on: 20 October, 2011, 06:05:57 pm »
Thanks guys.

It sounds like you had a torrid time bobb.  I'm glad it worked out so well in the end for you.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #35 on: 20 October, 2011, 06:39:56 pm »
I'm glad your boner is sorted now bobb.
It is simpler than it looks.