Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3067309 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24700 on: 17 December, 2019, 07:15:19 pm »
And on the subject of African leaders during WW2, a couple of weeks ago I went past the place where the Emperor of Ethiopia lived at that time (and a little bit earlier). You can't see anything massively impressive but there is a house sign painted in nice Rastafarian red gold and green.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24701 on: 17 December, 2019, 09:54:54 pm »
Ethiopians, in my experience, seem deeply confused by Rastafarianism. Leastways they must be if they’re asking me.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24702 on: 17 December, 2019, 09:57:22 pm »
I was accused of looking like a vagrant today (Mrs ED nonetheless) I responded, I can't be, I own a bicycle
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #24703 on: 17 December, 2019, 10:04:35 pm »
I was accused of looking like a vagrant today (Mrs ED nonetheless) I responded, I can't be, I own a bicycle

Anything to do with not shaving?
Mrs B informed me way back, "Stubble in your twenties makes you look rugged and interesting.  In your forties you just look like you are homeless and sleeping rough."

My complaint about the cost of blades cut no ice.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24704 on: 17 December, 2019, 10:05:48 pm »
Ethiopians, in my experience, seem deeply confused by Rastafarianism. Leastways they must be if they’re asking me.
I suppose a movement which considers a past Emperor of your country to be the reincarnation of Christ, is a bit like those South Pacific tribes who consider Prince Charles some sort of deity. Or maybe even the Great White Queen Over The Ocean.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #24705 on: 17 December, 2019, 10:19:30 pm »

Mrs B informed me way back, "Stubble in your twenties makes you look rugged and interesting.  In your forties you just look like you are homeless and sleeping rough."

And, according to MrsLurk, in your late fifties it makes you look like Old Man Steptoe.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24706 on: 17 December, 2019, 10:24:53 pm »

And, according to MrsLurk, in your late fifties it makes you look like Old Man Steptoe.
Dr Beardy (Mrs) has been nagging me or bout 4 weeks o undertake some facial topiary and moreover visit a barber. I have so far resisted but she seems to be redoubling her efforts this week...
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24707 on: 17 December, 2019, 11:14:53 pm »
My partner says "A beard is for life, not just for Christmas."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24708 on: 17 December, 2019, 11:35:27 pm »
This ^
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

« Reply #24709 on: 18 December, 2019, 06:06:18 am »

Dr Beardy (Mrs) has been nagging me or bout 4 weeks o undertake some facial topiary and moreover visit a barber. I have so far resisted but she seems to be redoubling her efforts this week...

Possibly, given that I've not travelled other than a day trip to London in the last three weeks, and now have three weeks off, when she asked "when are you going to trim that?"

I replied "January"

She also seemed to take a dim view of my combination of craghoppers and comfy jumper to visit the physio on Monday

ElyDave

ian

« Reply #24711 on: 18 December, 2019, 09:25:43 am »
I suppose a movement which considers a past Emperor of your country to be the reincarnation of Christ, is a bit like those South Pacific tribes who consider Prince Charles some sort of deity. Or maybe even the Great White Queen Over The Ocean.

That pretty much sums it up. Generally, there's a significant bemusement on the subject. I remember a somewhat inebriated evening trying to explain it and my bemusement isn't much less significant than my Ethiopian hosts. I think Rastafarianism stems from Ethiopianism, which stems from a passage in the Bible about the Kingdom of Kush (which overlaps the region of modern-day Ethiopia), and the leaving of Christian thereof, and, erm, I probably sounded a lot more knowledgeable when I was drunk.

ian

« Reply #24712 on: 18 December, 2019, 09:27:54 am »

My wife drags me into the bathroom brandishing tweezers the moment she even thinks I have an ear hair. In tolerance of my having a Beard of Authority™, I do have to trim it once a week.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24713 on: 18 December, 2019, 09:30:13 am »

That pretty much sums it up. Generally, there's a significant bemusement on the subject. I remember a somewhat inebriated evening trying to explain it and my bemusement isn't much less significant than my Ethiopian hosts. I think Rastafarianism stems from Ethiopianism, which stems from a passage in the Bible about the Kingdom of Kush (which overlaps the region of modern-day Ethiopia), and the leaving of Christian thereof, and, erm, I probably sounded a lot more knowledgeable when I was drunk.
If your hosts were also drunk, yes...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24714 on: 18 December, 2019, 09:36:31 am »

Barber?  Nowadays I just take the beard trimmer on up over the top about once a month. Or so.  I find that a bedraggled appearance goes well with SAD.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

ian

« Reply #24716 on: 18 December, 2019, 11:19:26 am »

If your hosts were also drunk, yes...

Yes. There was tej. Then, late in the evening, one of the hosts told the story of his brother who gone blind and died shortly after drinking some.

But not this bottle, he helpfully added.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24717 on: 18 December, 2019, 11:45:35 am »
Not to be confused with tea then.

ian

« Reply #24718 on: 18 December, 2019, 12:27:29 pm »
I think the actual culprit was a counterfeit spirit rather than tej, which is modest if undetermined strength. Anyway, he didn't apparently like his brother much, so it was OK.

« Reply #24719 on: 19 December, 2019, 02:59:12 am »

Mrs B informed me way back1, "Stubble in your twenties makes you look rugged and interesting.  In your forties1 you just look like you are homeless and sleeping rough."

Clearly the answer (as per the comments about Xmas) is simply to man up and grow a beard, and quit poncing around with stubble.

1: Way back? Dear god Basil, that must have been at least last century ...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #24720 on: 19 December, 2019, 09:53:22 am »
Quote from: jsabine
Clearly the answer (as per the comments about Xmas) is simply to man up and grow a beard, and quit poncing around with stubble.
I'm not sure that having what looks like a dead badger strapped to my chin is that much more appealing than looking like Old Man Steptoe and then there's the, "head on upside down" thing that afflicts bald, bearded types.  No I shall just have to put up with looking like a degenerate and scratch the whiskers off every few days*.  Gosh, but life is hard eh?

*OK, it's more like once a week these days, but what's a few days here or there?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24721 on: 22 December, 2019, 03:44:10 pm »
On Friday we had a Christmas card from our postman. Signed "Brian the Postie"; but obviously not the same Brian the Postie otp, unless he's got the world's longest round! It's easier for your postie to give you a card than you to give him one, so I thought I might leave a card taped to our front door. Of course that kind of depends on him delivering something tomorrow. And then he'll probably expect a fiver in it or something. Hmmm...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24722 on: 22 December, 2019, 05:06:29 pm »
On Friday we had a Christmas card from our postman. Signed "Brian the Postie"; but obviously not the same Brian the Postie otp, unless he's got the world's longest round!

Or done a Missing Postman.

« Reply #24723 on: 24 December, 2019, 02:37:43 pm »
Oi! Cycleman, your yahoo email address bounced.

And a Happy New Year!

Kevin & Brigitte
ps What address are you using now Chris?

« Reply #24724 on: 24 December, 2019, 07:34:28 pm »
I have sent you a pm great to hear from you 👍
the slower you go the more you see