Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3064987 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I just accidentally clicked on the "Tune association" thread. More than 400 pages of drivel have been generated since the previous occasion I accidentally clicked on it.

What's the matter, not enough links to the Guardian?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

At a dinner the other day with an audience of eminent medical types, I was regaling people with my tale of falling out with medicine on the grounds that I (a) don't like sick people and (b) don't like any of the stuff that comes out of even healthy people. Anyway, it seems universal that the medical professions' least favourite human fluid is sputum. I really need to find different dinner company.

(Also, if you're planning to photograph that strange rash on your knob with your phone to show your GP without dropping your trousers (they're still going to need you to do it), make sure all photo-sharing options are off before doing so otherwise you're destined to become an anecdote.)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
It's not for me either, but it seems a bit harsh to call it "drivel" when it is harmless fun.

I'm intrigued by the reaction to Wowbagger's comment. I didn't take "drivel" as a pejorative description...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
At a dinner the other day with an audience of eminent medical types, I was regaling people with my tale of falling out with medicine on the grounds that I (a) don't like sick people and (b) don't like any of the stuff that comes out of even healthy people. Anyway, it seems universal that the medical professions' least favourite human fluid is sputum. I really need to find different dinner company.
Sputum is definitely the worst. And somebody once shat all over my arm, so I know.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I concur re sputum.
It defies logic but I still find it the most  :sick: making of all body fluids.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Could be the one most directly connected with infection?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's as much about velocity as viscosity...   :hand:

I just accidentally clicked on the "Tune association" thread. More than 400 pages of drivel have been generated since the previous occasion I accidentally clicked on it.

Self censorship is a much underused tool.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

I concur re sputum.
It defies logic but I still find it the most  :sick: making of all body fluids.
I was sitting on a Budapest metro one winter's day sat next to a rather malodorous, presumably homeless man. Lots of those over there. He had an awful chest cough; so awful that he hacked up a greenie that flew in an arc over the carriage and almost landed on the shoes of the man sitting directly opposite him. I was pleased I'd had to tolerate the BO rather than experience that.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Self censorship is a much underused tool.

How do you know?  ;)

I frequently write something crass and hit the 'back' button.
I still make crass postings...

ian

Isn't tune association the thing used by psychiatrists to gauge dissociative sociopathic tendencies. I'm not sure I want to know which of you is mostly likely to keep people tied up in your plastic-lined basement murder dungeon so I'm continuing to ignore it.

It's the Nine Inch Nail fans you need to look out for...

I have a veritable cornucopia of images out there on t'web, mostly with some sort of copyright message and I allow CC anyhow. Every now and then (ok, maybe once every three years) I get a request to use a photo. This last was curious

I just finished translate an introductory book about homeopathy called " Homeopathy: Beyond flat earth medicine" into Thai language. The purpose of published this book is to introduce Homeopathy to Thai soceity. Since it is very new to Thai people. I think adding some photos of homeopathy to the book will help book readers to be more familiar with this science.
Searching through internet, the photo of Royal London Homeopathic Hospital from you  is a suitable one. Could you allow me to add the picture to the book?

I particularly like the "science" bit.

I said yes, anyhow.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Given that sputum is the most hated of bodily fluids have some sympathy for my very squeamish father having a kid with EPIC snot issues and nasal tubes and having to devise snot-extraction-without-nose-blowing strategies!   ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Barakta is watching a video about deaf people in the 1990s.  I can hear the sound of hearing aids feeding back coming from her hearing aid...

I got bored of sitting at the dinner table with my parents and having to judge if the whistling was coming from my left or right to know if it was Dad or Mum who needed to reseat their hearing aid.  but at least that Dad had turned his on,  :-\

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Three years ago this morning that Tiermat and I cycled a lap of 'Le Circuit de la Sarthe' as part of my 50th birthday jolly.

Andrewc is currently somewhere en France on his way to Nice from St. Malo.

Not that I'm insanely jealous or anything . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
ITV4 were trailing their coverage of the Women's Tour during the Moto GP highlights last night.  I should like to meet the genius who chose the background music for the spot, and hit them with the clue-by-four.

The track?  Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" :facepalm:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Three years ago this morning that Tiermat and I cycled a lap of 'Le Circuit de la Sarthe' as part of my 50th birthday jolly.

I was thinking of that, last night on the drive home, as I watched a whole host of cars being pulled over on the M1.  The one thing in common with these cars? The "24heures Le Mans" stickers all over them!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
ITV4 were trailing their coverage of the Women's Tour during the Moto GP highlights last night.  I should like to meet the genius who chose the background music for the spot, and hit them with the clue-by-four.

The track?  Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" :facepalm:
That song is stupid. Why write a song called iron man and then sing about how they broke the man of steel on the big magnetic wheel? Surely it should be "ferrous compound man"?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Actually he was turned to steel in the great magnetic field, which I'm sure everyone would agree makes much more sense.  No problems with him travelling in time for the future of mankind...

In any case, when he came back he was seriously pissed off and wanted to kill everyone.  An understandable reaction to having been turned into a character from "The Ozard Of Wiz" but not appropriate behaviour for either a Cyclist or a Lady.

I have too much time on my hands.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
So he should really have been Eddy Current Man, then?

Anyway, steel is real.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I don't know what happened to turn his boots into lead though.  People probably wouldn't need to run as fast as they can to get away - think Boris Karloff in "Frankenstein" whose boots only weighed about fourteen pounds apiece.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
I am clearing my desk prior to leaving at the end of the week. Why do I have so many pads of compilment slips? I obviously haven't complimented as many people as I had intially anticipated when I started here. That said, I am completely out of insult slips.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes

I was thinking of that, last night on the drive home, as I watched a whole host of cars being pulled over on the M1.  The one thing in common with these cars? The "24heures Le Mans" stickers all over them!

'PULLED OVER' You mean, like, by real police 'n evryfink . . . ?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.