Author Topic: Tandem owner  (Read 31301 times)

stuartmmorrison

Re: Tandem owner
« Reply #75 on: 23 March, 2009, 12:00:57 pm »
Hi,
we have a Hase Pino All Round with aluminium frame up here in Edinburgh. Pics coming soon.

alan

« Reply #76 on: 23 March, 2009, 05:39:30 pm »
, I need to figure a way for having two well behaved kids at the back!!!  ::-)

I don't know the age of your young 'uns but we still have a twin seat child trailer which you could buy if it is of interest to you.

We used it with our similar-age grand-daughters untill they were about 4 or 5 yrs old.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #77 on: 30 April, 2009, 08:19:41 am »
Ms Weasel and I are now the proud owner of a KHS Tandemania Sport, courtesy of Clarion.

I rode it back from Clarion's place last week and it rides well solo.  Ms Weasel and I managed to get round the block ok after getting it home (nobody died).

On Sunday we got out and did a gentle 23 mile pootle - although we did get up to 25mph for a bit on the flat, just to see how it went.

It's fairly forgiving and quite manoeuvrable - we seemed to manage ok around people and other cyclists, even on the Thames Path.

It's early days yet but it seems to suit us well, I have also noticed that people seem a lot friendlier to you when you are on a tandem rather than on single bikes.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #78 on: 30 April, 2009, 09:09:05 am »
:) :D 8) :D :)
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #79 on: 01 May, 2009, 02:04:19 am »
I have also noticed that people seem a lot friendlier to you when you are on a tandem rather than on single bikes.

This is one of the many joys of tandeming.  Did you get your bum felt by your stoker?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #80 on: 01 May, 2009, 09:33:14 am »
Did you get your bum felt by your stoker?

Isn't this the main reason for tandemming in the first place?

Oh - Wascally - you need to know that your jersey pockets are no longer your own.
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #81 on: 01 May, 2009, 10:03:38 am »

Oh - Wascally - you need to know that your jersey pockets are no longer your own.

Just make sure the stoker hasn't got access to brakes.  Your arse and pockets may not be exclusively yours, brakes should be.  People that can't see where they are going shouldn't be braking for you.  I have heard some funny stories of what happened when braking is a team effort!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #82 on: 01 May, 2009, 10:07:15 am »
:-\

Two of our tandems have the drag brake operated by the stoker.  I think this is A Bad Thing.  Butterfly may have a different opinion. ;D

Junior stokers occasionally need reminding that, if it's been used as a parking brake, the drag should be released.  This often happens about 200yards along a flat road that feels like a hill ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #83 on: 01 May, 2009, 10:29:49 am »
we have an inefficient drum brake under stoker control.

Often when I accelerate for a gap I know we'll make it feels like riding through treacle and the gap seems to shrink...

ed_o_brain

« Reply #84 on: 01 May, 2009, 10:44:03 am »

Just make sure the stoker hasn't got access to brakes.  Your arse and pockets may not be exclusively yours, brakes should be.  People that can't see where they are going shouldn't be braking for you.  I have heard some funny stories of what happened when braking is a team effort!

Slow moving traffic ahead.
Me easing off (not freewheeling - like to keep the legs moving) and braking.

We are still accelerating ???

Maffie stop pedalling so hard there's slow traffic ahead!!!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #85 on: 09 May, 2009, 12:03:56 am »

This is why I have such a wide range of stokers who "do" for me! ;D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #86 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:29:23 pm »
Just bought a Super Galaxy tandem (an original 531 frame version from late 80's/early90's)
One of those mad ebay moments......

Now how do I go about changing the digit in my user name?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #87 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:40:09 pm »
Cool.  SuperGals are brilliant :D
Getting there...

« Reply #88 on: 09 June, 2009, 12:55:43 am »
Just bought a Super Galaxy tandem (an original 531 frame version from late 80's/early90's)

Just like mine, which is a 1989 model. The bike's done the E2E twice. They hold up well...

rdaviesb

« Reply #89 on: 27 June, 2009, 09:48:31 pm »
. We need to go to JD in Ilkley to try out various options first. :thumbsup: 8)
Do not......take your wallet with you..... Plastic will melt....  ;D

« Reply #90 on: 27 June, 2009, 10:10:31 pm »
We've been out for the first time this year on our lovely Bertin.  We did several laps of the Eton Rowing Club Dorney Lake site, which is open to the public when there are no competitions.  It's a great place to tandem (and ride solo), as the lakeside tracks are so smooth (built for rowing coaches on bikes), and there are lovely long straights. 

Viv

• Are we having fun yet?
    • Lythgo
« Reply #91 on: 20 July, 2009, 11:56:03 am »
Here's mine...

Very pleased with it. Its a Super Galaxy 531, I'm guessing late 80's early 90's. Bought it last winter and rebuilt it on a shoestring (drop bars, smaller range gears, new chainrings, saddles, shifters, levers and cabling etc).

Must get some better pictures of it now the summer's here (??). Now without guards and racks.

Usual stoker is my 13 y/o daughter who otherwise would do no cycling (or any exercise - other than on WiiFit) otherwise. Done a few 100km Audaxes etc. She's not allowed brakes or to fiddle in my pockets!

I took the drag brake off but it's pretty flat round here so no real need.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #92 on: 20 July, 2009, 12:03:44 pm »
Here's mine...

Very pleased with it. Its a Super Galaxy 531, I'm guessing late 80's early 90's. Bought it last winter and rebuilt it on a shoestring (drop bars, smaller range gears, new chainrings, saddles, shifters, levers and cabling etc).

Must get some better pictures of it now the summer's here (??). Now without guards and racks.

Usual stoker is my 13 y/o daughter who otherwise would do no cycling (or any exercise - other than on WiiFit) otherwise. Done a few 100km Audaxes etc. She's not allowed brakes or to fiddle in my pockets!

I took the drag brake off but it's pretty flat round here so no real need.

You have a PM mate!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #93 on: 20 July, 2009, 12:10:05 pm »
That's neat.  We also have a SuperGal of a similar period, though ours is grey (and has the drag brake, of which I have been glad in the North Downs & Howardian Hills ;D ).  I sometimes have a similarly youthful stoker. :)

For reasons mainly related to transport, we have Raceblades rather than full 'guards, though we have racks front & back for camping. :)
Getting there...

Viv

• Are we having fun yet?
    • Lythgo
« Reply #94 on: 20 July, 2009, 03:19:51 pm »
has the drag brake, of which I have been glad

The Shimano V brakes coupled with the hi-action Cane Creek drop bar levers are very effective.
I have the drag brake but until we go touring the hillier parts of the world I don't think it's worth the weight (or the hassle of sourcing the missing bits!).

Thanks for the feedback.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #95 on: 20 July, 2009, 03:25:24 pm »
Re; Missing bits.  We got our replacement unit from Locks of Sandwich - an unusual little shop/treasure store - who have a good stock.
Getting there...

Viv

• Are we having fun yet?
    • Lythgo
« Reply #96 on: 20 July, 2009, 03:41:34 pm »
Re; Missing bits.  We got our replacement unit from Locks of Sandwich - an unusual little shop/treasure store - who have a good stock.

Thanks for the tip Clarion. You've got no problem with our fence panel matching then?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #97 on: 20 July, 2009, 06:20:35 pm »

The Shimano V brakes coupled with the hi-action Cane Creek drop bar levers are very effective.
I have the drag brake but until we go touring the hillier parts of the world I don't think it's worth the weight (or the hassle of sourcing the missing bits!).

Thanks for the feedback.

I know the drag brake yes or no debate can be quite passionate but I have never found the need particularly with a kid on the back (lower weight).  We descended Alpe d'Huez when Twinkle Toes was 7 and all was well.  Mind you, we have got a rear disc with a 203mm rotor, perhaps if we didn't I might want a drag brake.

« Reply #98 on: 20 July, 2009, 06:42:38 pm »
For reasons mainly related to transport, we have Raceblades rather than full 'guards, though we have racks front & back for camping. :)

The fit of mudguards is somewhat tight if you have a fat rear tyre, on those frames.

« Reply #99 on: 20 July, 2009, 08:35:59 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

I know the drag brake yes or no debate can be quite passionate but I have never found the need particularly with a kid on the back (lower weight).  We descended Alpe d'Huez when Twinkle Toes was 7 and all was well.  Mind you, we have got a rear disc with a 203mm rotor, perhaps if we didn't I might want a drag brake.

Clarion sometimes suffers from a rather cowardly adult stoker :-[ ;).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.