Linked Events

• Essex Is (Mostly) Flat ride: 08 May, 2010

Author Topic: May WARTY - Essex Is (Mostly) Flat - Saturday 8 May (from Manningtree)  (Read 18430 times)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
I can testify to the excellentness of the chocolate cake- yummy! Perfect end to a great day.
    Thanks Auntie and Crinkly.

Some photos (links now fixed):
The first shot is clearly of TimO's bike. In which we can see the weight of the pannier is affecting even the photograph by pulling the right hand side down!  :o

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Some photos (links now fixed):
The first shot is clearly of TimO's bike. In which we can see the weight of the pannier is affecting even the photograph by pulling the right hand side down!  :o
The reason I took that photo was that Tim's bike was even dirtier than mine :o. Maybe the quantity of London grime was having an effect too?
Pen Pusher

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map

We returned to Manningtree for tea and cake, provided by Crinkly Lion ...

You mean you all made CL carry the cake round for 50 miles before lightening the load?  Heartless bunch!

;) ;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

clarion

• Tyke
Great ride.  Great company.  Great route.  Great weather. ;D

Thanks to Auntie Helen for organising, to Wowbagger for making it a really good day for TGLiteTM, and to everyone who didn't give a stuff about the weather forecast & turned out anyway :thumbsup:

We'd had a grand night camping friday night, and would have loved to stay on for another night, but the railways had a different idea, and aren't running trains from Manningtree/Colchester back to London today, so we packed up & brought our stuff to meet up with folk again at Manningtree.

Thanks to all who waited at the station for us.  TGL tells me he had a lot of offers to buy him something, all of which he declined.  Thanks to all of you too. :thumbsup:

At almost 93km, it's my longest ride of the year, and I'm keen to get out today as well.  :)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
Nice collection of bikes out on the ride.

Two tandems - a Thorn and a Santana
Two 'bents - both Trices
Roberts
On-One
Orbit
Orbea
Dawes Galaxy (x2 sort of - see above)
Holdsworth
Trek Valencia
Spesh Sirrus
and many more :)
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
The Very Lovely Valencia and me are now safely back in York, having succesfully completed our first ever 8 train journeys together - all in one weekend.

Thank you very much for organising this Auntie Helen - I had an absolutely fabulous time.  I'm actually not always very good at big groups of new people, doing stuff I haven't done before and going to places that I don't know as I tend to find all of the above a bit stressful.  So I will confess to being very slightly apprehensive about going on trains with my bike for the first time, into uncharted territories, to attempt my first ever group ride with 20-odd random strangers off the interwebs!  But from as soon as I found TimO, eating his second breakfast at Liverpool Street where we were very soon joined by Jane, it all seemed to be very easy and not stressful in the least.

It's a shame that I just didn't have quite enough leg to reach the pedals on the tandem, but I suspect that Wowbagger had a far easier day with Superstoker on the back than it would have been with me there, and the overall speed if the ride undoubtably benefited too!  Dasmoth and Emily very kindly offered me a chance to try out their stoker seat after the lunch stop instead, but I didn't want to get laughed at too much when I fell off hold up everybody as we were already looking at a relatively late finish.  Having been very kindly donated some proper shoes in order to ride the tandem, I probably should have swapped them back before we set off - they were a bit slippy on flats but I managed to not fall off and swapped back to my trainers at the tea stop, probably a good thing for the safety off everyone near me.  But I now have no excuse to not try clipless at some point.... wibble! (and probably wobble)

It was great to put names to so many faces, and I very much appreciated the many people who took a turn to keep me company at the back despite my woeful lack of group riding skillz - especially Uncle James and TimO who made sure that even I didn't get left behind.  Particular thanks also to Nutkin for pretending that The Hill was too much for her and giving me an excuse to get off and walk!  On the last couple of uppy  bits on the 'not so hilly' route back to the station, Superstoker on the back of the tandem was so suitably inspirational in his determination to ride up them that I managed to follow suit.  And that descent to the station is FUN!  I'm not the most confident descender - I live in the very very very flat bit of Yorkshire, where you have to do a 15 mile detour to find a hill bigger that the Millenium Bridge and so don't get much practice.  But, by my standards, I was flying down it when cycleman on his trice flew past me as if I was standing still - a sight that made me genuinely laugh out loud  :D

A really enjoyable route round pretty and (mostly!) flat lanes, with great company and frequent food stops.  And the Weather Gods even smiled on us, blessing me with weather to make me feel completely at home!  As I said to my Hertford-based friends when I got back there last night, I feel like I got a fortnight's holiday in one day  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Good to hear your report, CrinklyLion. The other recumbent wasn't Cycleman but was Ben Lovejoy from CycleChat though!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

CrinklyLion

I'm a dimwit.  But learning 20 odd new people's names when nearly everyone has at least 2 is confuzzling.  At least, that's my excuse!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
CL, I have located all the bits and pieces (seatpost, shim, bolt) so that we can reduce the distance between the cranks and your saddle by about 3 inches from what was available yesterday with Mrs. Wow's elastic seatpost. I wonder if it will be possible to meet somewhere prior to the Dun Run in order to go for a ride?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I'm a dimwit.  But learning 20 odd new people's names when nearly everyone has at least 2 is confuzzling.  At least, that's my excuse!

Don't worry. I covered about 60 miles in Ben's company last March and it wasn't until he took his cap off at lunchtime that I realised who it was. :-[
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Thanks to Auntie Helen & all for an enjoyable day, although a few miles per hour on the average would have made me a little warmer - I wondered why I was the only one in shorts.  ::-) Nice to put normal names & faces to strange forum names, and very nice to meet you all. Perversely, I enjoyed the hills (attack, attack, attack!) and should have gone the lumpy way home in the last few miles.

Sadly, I woke up with a stinking headache (no alcoholic excuse) and have been on a low light all day, missing the nice sunny weather here that we should have had yesterday there. Pompino ridden slower than usual for longer than usual is the diagnosis. The only cure is more practice, of course.  :thumbsup:

As Wowbagger has said, a drizzly lesson in JFDI. Cycling karma points in the bank for all of us, I think.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
So, here's my write-up (sorry for the delay).

An early start of 8:00am at my house was planned for those coming from Colchester so that we would have plenty of time for our breakfasts at the Station Café. Mow and Gary arrived and, with James and I, set off on the shortest route to Manningtree.

We ordered our food and people gradually arrived, most falling foul of the jobsworth platform manager chappie who seemed to take exception to our bikes (there had never been a problem before). Mind you, the huge area for cycle parking on the western side of the station was something I hadn't previously noticed and it was rather more sensible for us to park our bikes there.

Eventually 23 of us had arrived. We were still awaiting Redflightuk who we knew had set off, so stood out the front whilst I tried to find someone who knew his phone number. Tomsk took the opportunity to fix his slow puncture that he'd developed on the way over by bike from Dunmow.

At 10:30 we decided we'd have to go without Redflight, and various Tandem fettling being complete (changing saddles, as well as stokers), we set off through Manningtree towards Mistley, past the swans and then up the first hill of the few.

The group kept fairly well together, with James and TimO acting as Tail End Charlies with Emily & Dasmoth (on the tandem), Ian, Jane, Marco Stefano and others doing duty as waymarkers. We pootled through Little Bromley, then down to Little Bentley where we joined the NCN51 towards Harwich.

The rain had been off and on through the morning but now decided to be a bit more on, with rather grey-looking clouds visible. Several of us had on waterproof trousers but not everyone had them and it could be chilly with the wind.

We rode through Stones Green and then arrived at Beaumont, the edge of the Tending Plain, whereupon we turned round so as not to fall off the plain (downhill) and then have to cycle back up it again. We made our way from Beaumont to the edge of Tendring (the village) and then arrived at Weeley as the heaven's opened, with a few short hills right at the end.

The Homestead Caravan Café at Weeley is a surprisingly pleasant place for tea and cake. I had warned them we were coming and they were very helpful - in fact I think they may have had more staff in than normal. There was a good choice of tasty cakes and the tea was very reviving, especially as several of us had got wet and a bit chilly. There is always the amusement of attempting to find the loos in the adjacent caravan and camping shop.

We set off with ominous clouds looming but fortunately our route took us to the south of them. We cycled from Weeley down some lovely quiet country lanes to Great Bentley, where we had been on a previous WARTY last year to play cricket. We continued to Frating, then entered the very long and thin village of Great Bromley (about two and a half miles long, and pretty much just one road). As we passed my house James peeled off from TEC duties to let the dog out and see to the chickens, and our neighbour Andy the Audaxer popped home for a warmer jacket. He caught us up very rapidly on the final 4 mile stretch through Ardleigh and Dedham Heath to Langham and the Shepherd & Dog pub.

Fortunately the rain had mostly held off for this section and so we weren't quite as cold. The Shepherd & Dog did a good job of feeding us although some of the more complicated meals took a fair while. Suddenly producing 23 different meals must be slightly challenging. But the food and beer were good and we were all able to sit together in one of their rooms. James arrived about five minutes after the rest of us, having sorted out Lucy the Weimaraner.

Lunch was fairly leisurely, after all we only had another 17 miles to go, albeit a bit hillier. When we set off again I relinquished the leading role to Dasmoth and Emily and trundled along in the middle chatting with my German friend Gundi who cycled large portions of the route no-handed.

We made our way from Langham to the bottom of Boxted, then Great Horkesley, past Westwood Park where the road surface is a bit dodgy, round towards Boxted again with views over the Stour Valley. I told everyone that the views are normally lovely but with heavy clouds and a bit of drizzle people seemed somewhat underwhelmed. At this point Tomsk set off back home towards Dunmow as we were at the most westerly part of the route.

We had the speedy descent of Cook's Hill followed by the rather evil climb up the other side, which wasn't helped by a car coming the other way. Marco Stefano on fixed found himself caught out by the car and had to walk a bit, as did a few others. No doubt Wowbagger with his super stoker would have passed me on this hill, as he did on many others, if I hadn't had such a good head start.

We then crossed the A12 again and headed into Dedham. On the hill out of Dedham I offered two options for the route - one shorter but more hilly, one a little longer but a little gentler. The group divided itself roughly in half and Dasmoth & Emily led the hilly lot whilst I trundled up to Dedham  Heath with the less hilly inclined.

We were all reassembled at the station within ten minutes of each other and as some gradually disappeared on trains (Woofage being the lonely soul who got the train further away from London) the rest of us drank tea and ate CrinklyLion's cake in the Station Café whilst awaiting Clarion and Butterfly to come and collect Superstoker.

It was a great ride overall, just a shame we didn't have better weather (this afternoon, for example, is lovely with blue skies and little fluffy white clouds). My friend Andy the Audaxer commented on how good everyone was at waymarking and acting as TEC and not leaving people behind. The gentle pace may not have suited everyone but it was good to all ride together and have a chance to chat to different people. It was lovely to see Mrs_o again who was clearly much fitter than the last time I dragged her cycling around Boxted.

Woofage and I were discussing some of the amusing place names near Ipswich - he knows of a California, and there's a Gibraltar just up the road from Westerfield/Witnesham. I feel a "California to Gilbraltar" ride may be on the cards before too long...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
I feel a "California to Gilbraltar" ride may be on the cards before too long...

If there was a good way to get across those pesky Bering Straits, that would make an epic ride!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

My write up is somewhat belated, but that does mean I can just say "What everyone else said". ;D

The ride started off a little damp, but it cleared up later.  This did dissuade me from getting my camera out and taking many photos, but I got a few just after lunch.

The speed was probably slightly faster than an average WARTY, so don't feel that you were slowing people down CrinklyLion, we were probably rushing you along a bit.  This is the route (non-lumpy version) for anyone who wants to know where we went.

By the time we got to the end, I was going a little hypo, so was definitely a little dopey.  A number of cakes were thrust upon as we left by CrinklyLion, which I distributed around those of us on that train, and which soon reversed my sugar levels.  The cakes must have been well received, since I didn't have any left by the time I got to Liverpool Street. Nom nom nom. ;D

It was nice to see various people who I haven't seen for a while (or indeed at all!), and apologies to those who I didn't say Bye to at the station.  As ever it was a fine ride with good food and companionship.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Woofage and I were discussing some of the amusing place names near Ipswich - he knows of a California, and there's a Gibraltar just up the road from Westerfield/Witnesham. I feel a "California to Gilbraltar" ride may be on the cards before too long...

California is here and Gibraltar is here. Roughly 10 miles (and plenty of pubs) in between.

I'm thinking that if other "interesting" place names can be found in the locality then it would make a kind of "Round the World" WARTY.
Pen Pusher

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
I found a "Paris Farm" near Pettaugh but it's on the road to nowhere.

There's another California near Wickham Market (a more rural one), as well as a Hungarian Hall.

Thanks everybody for a very pleasant ride, especially Aunty Helen.

Ben Lovejoy has some good photos on his site. I'm the one wearing the red socks and stout breeches.  :smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

CrinklyLion

Eminently appropriate for the conditions, and dapper to boot!

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Marco Stefano on fixed found himself caught out by the car and had to walk a bit...

<panto>
Oh no he didn't!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Someone told me you walked. Someone lied!

clarion

• Tyke
I didn't walk either! :thumbsup:

I did get off to take some salbutamol, but I didn't walk :)
Getting there...

mow

Particular thanks also to Nutkin for pretending that The Hill was too much for her and giving me an excuse to get off and walk!  

Crinklylion, I think you'll find she just wasn't going to let your cakes out of her sight.....

clarion

• Tyke
Forgot I took some photos. :-[

Anyway, here are a few.  It was pretty damp a lot of the time, so I only got them inside really.

Here's our pitch at the campsite (with a beautiful model):

Damp cafe stop at caravan shop:

At the pubbe:

Delightful (and pinkly coordinated) company for lunch:

Getting there...