Author Topic: Cycle Storage at Work  (Read 838 times)

Cycle Storage at Work
« on: 22 April, 2010, 09:34:22 am »
I've put this here, as it's really 'Campaigning', but please feel free to move it if necessary.

At one place I work, there's been some encouraging movement on cycling to work.  One of the managers has implemented a Cycle to Work scheme, and now we need to think about increasing cycle storage.

For the last few years we've had a Trimetals Bike Store, which has been fine when it's mostly been just me cycling throughout the year, and a couple of fair weather cyclists in the summer, but it's awkward to use if you want to store more than two bikes, because you have to turn the handlebars to maximize space.  As more people start cycling, it's less and less useful.

Does anyone know about current thinking and design for bike storage?  It should be quite a productive area, with facilities at stations set to increase.  What's the best design for utilising space to the maximum, while ensuring ease of use, security etc etc?

There are plans for an extension to the building, so how does that affect the options for sensible provision?

Re: Cycle Storage at Work
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2010, 10:15:03 am »
More details needed really.
We have loads of bike racks under cover. Currently we have space for about 100 bikes.
Most of them are Sheffield stands, but we have a few of the semi-upright racks that have troughs for the bikes to be placed in.
They're less desirable since you can't lock the bikes properly, but they've been placed next to the smoking shed, so there are people around the racks constantly. The site is not publically accessible, so security is pretty decent.

We want to increase capacity and have looked at Josta two-tiered racks as an alternative, but they are beyond our reach at present.

So, does that help any?

I'd say if you were starting from scratch and the site is reasonably enclosed, then go for a three-sided shelter and fit Sheffield stands inside it.

If the site is not enclosed, then fit a cage around the stands and find some mechanism for locking it securely. Pin-coded lock or pass keys for example. Fit proper lighting and have CCTV coverage.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: Cycle Storage at Work
« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2010, 02:12:57 pm »
We want to increase capacity and have looked at Josta two-tiered racks as an alternative, but they are beyond our reach at present.

My previous put a lot of those in the (very secure) car park. They're brilliant. I wish I could persuade my current employers to replace some of the car parking spaces with them.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!