Author Topic: Commuter Racing pondered  (Read 21387 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Re: Commuter Racing pondered
« Reply #75 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:39:14 pm »
And another good race on Tuesday.  I was panting like a horse afterwards!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RIgg0NGGjKk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/RIgg0NGGjKk&rel=1</a>

Do your lycra clad roadwarrior victims know their humiliation is being recorded and published? And do you think that videoing your triumphs over unsuspecting roadcyclists for U tube is a healthy hobby for a young man? Let's face it Mikey it is not normal. Not normal at all.  I think you know that though don't you?
Really great to see the rear view after you scorch them though. The few seconds of lungbursting legpumpery, followed by the resigned 'relaxed I wasn't really racing you know, just cruising along mate' thing. Excellent.   
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #76 on: 24 June, 2010, 03:50:42 pm »
Oh no, he was totally racing, we agreed to it beforehand, and he knew about the camera too.  I'm not sure he knew I was gonna save the race though.  He was a really cool guy too, and much fitter and stronger than I am.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: 24 June, 2010, 04:45:30 pm »
And do you think that videoing your triumphs over unsuspecting roadcyclists for U tube is a healthy hobby for a young man? Let's face it Mikey it is not normal. Not normal at all.

;D

When Mikey rocked up at the WoollyPeli BBQ recently, he looked like a man in complete and perfect harmony with his sleek, futuristic bicycle.

You're right though.  It's not even remotely normal behaviour.  It's sick, deviant and just plain wrong.

*considers fitting a POV-cam to the Red Baron*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #78 on: 25 June, 2010, 12:55:27 pm »
Inspired by MikeyWendy recumbent antics I decided to take on a club legshaver last night down the Uxbridge Road.  He had big legs and the rest.  I managed to get on his wheel and stuck like glue all the way to the Princess Victoria where I ostentatiously passed to pull off into the pub.  I could hardly breathe to order my pint of London Pride and needed 2 before I felt well enough to carry on, but I he won't know that.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #79 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:34:47 pm »
Inspired by MikeyWendy recumbent antics I decided to take on a club legshaver last night down the Uxbridge Road.  He had big legs and the rest.  I managed to get on his wheel and stuck like glue all the way to the Princess Victoria where I ostentatiously passed to pull off into the pub.  I could hardly breathe to order my pint of London Pride and needed 2 before I felt well enough to carry on, but I he won't know that.
Nobody likes a wheelsucker  :P

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #80 on: 21 October, 2010, 08:45:36 pm »
I alternate my commutes into race days and not quite race days.  Or at least that's the theory.  In 5 years of daily commuting, I've only had   6   7 people overtake me (and   4   5 of those were full on roadies).

Competitive? Surely not.  :-X

:'(

I got scalped yesterday.

Bugger.  I had my guard down today.  I was gently pootling along thinking about being in warmer places and then had someone else overtake me!!  I immediately pushed out of the saddle, pressed hard on the pedals and.......

SNAP

the chain went.  :-[

It was only ½ mile to work, so I didn't bother mending it by the roadside.

I won't be an easy prey tomorrow.   :demon:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #81 on: 21 October, 2010, 08:52:13 pm »
I had that the other day. Do you also have the scrapes and bruises to go with it?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #82 on: 21 October, 2010, 09:00:34 pm »
Commiserations.

Fortunately no damage.  The chain just separated, and I was left merrily pedalling away.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #83 on: 21 October, 2010, 09:11:29 pm »
I had two today, the first on a carbon race bike  :smug:

Only one bloke has ever passed me* on a commute and he is (a) much younger and thinner and (b) he was on the road and I was on the bumpy psyclepath, although TBH he'd probably have done it anyway.  This was about three years ago.

*OK, someone else once passed me, but I relentlessly chased him down for two miles and eventually passed him again.  That tell't him.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #84 on: 21 October, 2010, 10:30:42 pm »

Only one bloke has ever passed me* on a commute and he is (a) much younger and thinner and (b) he was on the road and I was on the bumpy psyclepath

Happens everyday to me. Some are category (a) the majority jump the lights somewhere along the way.

« Reply #85 on: 21 October, 2010, 10:32:14 pm »
Commiserations.

Fortunately no damage.  The chain just separated, and I was left merrily pedalling away.

Fortunate. I was pulling away from the lights and going round a corner, so inherently off balance.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #86 on: 22 October, 2010, 10:03:06 am »
Only one bloke has ever passed me

I can take most people except the bloke that lives up Ford Street and has a Specialized Tarmac and Tim from Hemyock.  Although after the Mille I was catching Tim on the big hill up to Angersleigh ( that's the hill at the end of the Avalon Sunrise 400, audax people )

Mr rusty Claude Butler is usually easy pickings but one time when my Roadrat was new and I had a cold we had a real battle and he beat me fair and square

sigod

• Commuter Proof
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #87 on: 22 October, 2010, 03:00:45 pm »
The older I get, the harder it is to get my unicycle above 25mph.  ;)
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
 - Mark Twain

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #88 on: 30 October, 2010, 04:55:52 pm »
Commiserations.

After finally getting round to fix the chain, it turned out it was a KMC link that failed.  Very odd.

« Reply #89 on: 31 October, 2010, 08:58:29 am »
I miss SCR now that I've left London. Despite being a popular cycling city, Sheffield doesn't seem to have much scope for it. People on mountain bikes don't seem to put up much of a fight.

I always used to play by the rules that the race was on until someone turned off. Except on the Constitution Hill sprints that is. Great fun blasting off from the lights at Wellington Arch and ripping it down to pedestrian crossing at the bottom.

« Reply #90 on: 31 October, 2010, 09:03:16 am »
Had a bit of fun with a fixed rider yesterday.  We kept pogoing past each other for a while down the A202, due to filtering differences, my higher speed, and his jumping red lights.  Then hit a police road closure, so had to divert over a hilly bit.  He saw me come past him, and really went for it in order to try to beat me up the hill.  But no, he was roasted by a recumbent UPhill.  Aaaahaahahahahaha!

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #91 on: 01 November, 2010, 09:09:43 am »
I always used to play by the rules that the race was on until someone turned off. Except on the Constitution Hill sprints that is. Great fun blasting off from the lights at Wellington Arch and ripping it down to pedestrian crossing at the bottom.

I think you will find that this stretch belongs to me most mornings at 0817-0820 ish. That is official. However I welcome anyone who wants to have a go...
You may well recall being blown to bits by the exocet recumbent rocket if you have shared that space/time with me.  Nobody on a regular bike has ever got past me on that stretch in the last 5 years, and held me off to the line, though many have tried on their race steeds and fixed nags...
grrrr.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #92 on: 01 November, 2010, 09:36:45 am »
Tigerrr is Kinggg
Getting there...

« Reply #93 on: 01 November, 2010, 10:18:22 am »
I think you will find that this stretch belongs to me most mornings at 0817-0820 ish. That is official. However I welcome anyone who wants to have a go...
You may well recall being blown to bits by the exocet recumbent rocket if you have shared that space/time with me.  Nobody on a regular bike has ever got past me on that stretch in the last 5 years, and held me off to the line, though many have tried on their race steeds and fixed nags...
grrrr.

That's about the right time of day but I don't ever recall being beaten by a recumbent. mind you, I haven't raced that stretch since 2006 having since left London. I did get taken by a couple of unladen racers and one MTB (road slicks powered by calves the size of my thighs) who earned the title of "Worthy Opponent".

« Reply #94 on: 01 November, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »
I'd have you Tiger. ;)

Mind you, I'd have to put 10 or 20 kg in the tail box to achieve the same cross sectional density. :P

fuzzy

« Reply #95 on: 18 January, 2011, 08:51:10 am »
I got jumped on the way to work this morning :o

I was riding the tourer along Quarry Wood Road, minding my own business when a 20" wheeled bike passed me at about 4- 5 MPH faster than I was progressing. The pilot was dressed in all the wrong gear for a folding type bike, but all the RIGHT gear for a commuter race - tights, waterproof jacket, ski cap etc. As he passed my ears heard a cheery "Good Morning" but, my Babel Fish translated this to a cynical "Race is on you sluggish, tourer mounted toad" >:(

This narked me slightly so I started formulating my attack. We were fast (he faster than me) approaching the climb out of Marlow towards Cookham Dean and, knowing I was good on that climb, I relaxed. I let my prey eke out a lead of about 100 meters and, as he negotiated the right hand bend at the bottom of the hill, I looked on with glee. Just as I expected, my prey was exhibiting all the characteristics of a flat road sprinter. He could not put any more distance between us :thumbsup:

I too negotiated the bend and dropped down a chainring and a sprocket or two. As I did this I stood out of the saddle and started to spin. I gained on my prey quite quickly and, as I passed him I said, breathing easily "There you go sucker, eat my dust", which I think his Babel Fish translated as "I can't think of a better way to start the day". he responded "Yes, it certainly gets the blood pumping" which was Babel Fished to "Ye Gods Sir, your awesome climbing power is too much for me!" I was through the hairpin and gone before he got half way up the first straight.

;D

« Reply #96 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:31:14 am »
Hehehe!!  Nice one Fuzzy.   ;D

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #97 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:56:14 pm »
"Race is on you sluggish, tourer mounted toad" >:(

;D

possibly not the wisest manner in which to address a member of the constabulary, in any case  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #98 on: 18 January, 2011, 05:17:10 pm »
Visiting Sheffield a few days ago, I walked out of the station at the same time as another cyclist.  Young, male and riding a decent if commuterish bike.  He kept on darting shifty glances at me and if I'm honest, I kept eyeing him up as well.  I could almost hear his brainwaves, "Look at that guy in Look cleats, I'll drink out for months if I can beat him".  The glances only stopped as he set off, and ripped it up by the fountain.  As i joined him at the road crossing, I new the race was on.  Just then, the lights went green and he set off up the steep Howard Street hill at a speed which has but one name: race pace.  He was actually fairly impressive, I had to work to keep up, chewing on his wheel and fantasising about how I'd have blitzed him if I hadn't had two months off the bike and a longer time away from any hills.  Still, I could see that he was caning himself up here and if I could hold his wheel up to the end of the steep section at Arundel Gate, I'd have  him.  I could, and as the lights changed I kicked up to the library and attacked down Surrey Street.  I kept the pace high across by the town hall but by the time I reached the flatness of Division Street, I knew I was alone.  He'd either given up, gone another way or slunk off with his tail between his legs, and I'd made my comeback to cycling. 

Mr Bunbury's cycling season 2011
Victory 1: The Sheffield Hillclimb

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #99 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:02:44 pm »
I've never seen the point in 'Commuter racing' I'll go at a speed that I'm comfortable with. Why try and race someone when they don't know that they are being raced?!

I was coming back off a long ride on the 'bent a few months ago - total distance 206 miles, total out time 24 hours. I'm in the final 10 miles of the ride and a roadie storms past me on the pavement shouting ''And here he comes on the inside!'' Seriously - what a dickhead.  ::-)