Author Topic: Some people are beyond help...  (Read 2044 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Some people are beyond help...
« on: 28 April, 2010, 11:52:05 am »
Seen this morning:

A London Concrete cement truck, one of the really large four axle ones, was sat at a set of lights. Indicating left. He had pulled in so close to the kerb that the wheels were sat on the outside line of the double yellow lines. Big yellow sign on the back "Danger. Cyclists, don't ride up the left of this vehicle" or some such warning. On the left rear mudflap. "Danger. Do not pass on the left." A big yellow and black sign on the side of the vehicle "Caution: Keep Clear"* and a recorded voice announcing at quite high volume "Caution. Keep clear. This vehicle is turning left. Beep-boop-beep-boop. Caution. Keep clear. This vehicle is turning left." over and over again.

Johnny Cyclist rolls up, pauses for a second, and squeezes alongside the truck. Space was so limited that he had to cant the bike over to the left and scoot himself along with his foot on the pavement. He stopped almost exactly half way along the truck.

Knowing the cycle of the traffic lights I made a dash to get to the cab and warn the driver as I had a bad feeling that the cyclist would be right in his blind spot. I was stymied by a van on the RHS of the cement truck and as I was scrambling to get off the bike and approach the truck on foot the lights changed.

The truck didn't move.

I got infront of the truck and went to make the left turn, wide in the road, ahead of it. I looked along the side of the truck in time to see the driver's head poking out of the passenger window and hear the tail end of some abuse directed at the cyclist, who was by this time clambering up onto the pavement.

Cyclist off the road the truck pulled away and I cycled the last few meters to the office.

That was a bit scary.

[EDIT]* I couldn't see this sign at first, but when I looped round ahead of the truck and looked back I noticed it.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Re: Some people are beyond help...
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2010, 11:54:19 am »
I think a note to the London Concrete company commending the driver on his actions is in order.

I never fail to be surprised at quite how stupid some people can be.
Rust never sleeps

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2010, 11:55:08 am »
IIRC London Concrete is one of the companies that has invested quite heavily in the safety of their vehicles, including installing anti-crush systems and CCTV on the sides of vehicles.

I'm not surprised the lorry driver got annoyed with the pillock of a cyclist.  The cyclist sounds like a Darwin Award candidate in waiting...  :facepalm:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2010, 11:57:07 am »
I think a note to the London Concrete company commending the driver on his actions is in order.

+1

Copy it to the Evening Standard as well..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2010, 11:59:32 am »
I think one of the prerequisites forthe Darwin award is not to screw up a third person. Think how the driver would've felt if he hadn't been so switched on. I am reminded of one of Mikey's videos.....

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2010, 12:01:33 pm »

I concurrr.
It is sometimes clear that some cyclists keep their brain cell under their saddle.This cyclist is a botty-brain.LLE too I should think

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2010, 12:02:48 pm »
...but was he protected by a Magic Hat?

Jacomus

« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2010, 12:14:12 pm »
...but was he protected by a Magic Hat?

No, he wasn't wearing one.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2010, 12:16:57 pm »
We're accused of victim blaming if we, er, for want of a better word, blame the victim  :'(
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2010, 12:19:32 pm »
Good on you aswell, Jacomus, for trying to avert a disaster.

« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2010, 05:20:42 pm »
We're accused of victim blaming if we, er, for want of a better word, blame the victim  :'(

Nah.  This wasn't a victim, more an attempted case of voluntary euthanasia. 

Jacomus

« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2010, 06:53:13 pm »

I did send a note, using their website - they are part of Aggregate Industries.

No response as yet. Not a prob, I got an auto-response - as long as my message got through I'm happy. Unfortunately I didn't get the number plate (had other things on my mind, namely attempting to prevent another death!)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2010, 10:48:43 pm »
Hope the cyclist carries an organ donor card - he might as well do something useful since he's doing nothing to further the cause of cycling in London.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?