Author Topic: LEL Entry  (Read 70228 times)

frere yacker

Re: LEL Entry
« Reply #50 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:00:40 pm »
Keep in mind:

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

The next stanza is probably a suitable riposte, making me a mouse and you a man!

Still thou are blest, compared wi' me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But och! I backward cast my e'e,
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I canna see,
I guess an' fear!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #51 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:03:01 pm »
Do you recive a confirmation when you enter   ??? ???

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #52 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:03:28 pm »
That's too much.
Not everyone wants, needs or has time to be super-fit.
I would lose at least 1 600 and at least 2 200s from that schedule.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

frere yacker

« Reply #53 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:05:44 pm »
That's too much.

And if the worst comes to the worst, drop the 1400 as well

Chris N

« Reply #54 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:12:02 pm »

Maybe.  Melita said she had sent mine, but I haven't seen it.  No reply to several emails trying to track it down too.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #55 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »

Maybe.  Melita said she had sent mine, but I haven't seen it.  No reply to several emails trying to track it down too.

Same here. Sent deposit off in December. Cheque cleared in January, but no confirmation despite emails to LEL Central. My mate Recumbent George sent his deposit off in late January and got a confirmaion back after about a week.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #56 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:31:27 pm »
Oh I am not the only one then, I registered in february, but no sound from Melitta.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #57 on: 20 June, 2008, 02:01:56 pm »
That's too much.
I'm not so sure - assuming it's aimed at the new-ish randonneur. I think as well as fitness you need "experience" (I was fit enough last August, but experience probably let me down in the end).

I was glad I did the "extra" 600 last year, as it just sort of gave me extra confidence before the 1200 (and as it happened I had far fewer problems than on my first 6).

I don't plan to do that many long rides in 2009, but that's following 4 600+ rides in 07-08. I think for the "novice" that might be a good schedule - although perhaps it should be treated as the "upper limit" of what to ride. So I'd recommend noone panics if they were a couple of rides short.

I think.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #58 on: 20 June, 2008, 02:04:49 pm »
I think I could nearly do that schedule if I do the 200ks as perms or diy rides.100k is a normal club ride anyway.Delete the 100 and 200k rides ,and it does not look quite as intimidating!

So LEL is basically just 14 club rides back to back.   :)

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #59 on: 20 June, 2008, 03:42:10 pm »
Err yeah,but I dont think you get 14 weeks to do it. ::-)

« Reply #60 on: 20 June, 2008, 04:52:04 pm »
I sent off a 20 quid note, and got a confirmation letter back just after Xmas.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #61 on: 20 June, 2008, 05:05:30 pm »
What you lack in physical fitness you have to make up for in mental strength and grim determination.

I know I'm going to need a bit of the last two this weekend as I'm not in the best shape at the moment.

Here's the "suggested training pattern" from the http://www.londonedinburghlondon.co.uk/ website:-

January: 2x 100km events
February: 1x 100km 1x 200km
March 2x 200km
April 1x 300km, 1x 400km
May 1x200km 1x 600km
June 2x 200km, 1x600km
July: 1x 200km + LEL 1400km

A friend of mine is interested in LEL. His longest ride to date is 193km and he won't be starting "training" properly until October.

I did LEL last time (2005) it was my second year of audaxing.  In 2004 I'd done a 200 and a couple of 300s.

In 2005 i did a 125k local perm with lots of AA, 200(exeter), 300(april - the elenith), 400 (brev cymru), 600(chapman),another 300(moor like), k&sw 600, torplex 200, then LEL

After LEL I had achilles tendontious, so I guess it was all a bit much.  I think I peaked early for the k&sw 600.

Someone I rode LEL with had only done a 300 as preparation.  He had done some touring too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #62 on: 20 June, 2008, 05:20:33 pm »
I don't think Andrew Morris, who finished in good time, had done any previous Audax rides.
I was the Controller at the time...

« Reply #63 on: 20 June, 2008, 06:12:18 pm »
Well, I signed up for it earlier in the year and I'm having serious doubts now. Not about the event itself which is an admirable institution in every respect. Just about my motives for doing it, is it a challenge or my usual risk-taking masochistic streak taking control?
Is it a good thing to beat yourself up or aspire to a challenge?
Pretentiousness alert: I'm having a Nietzchean crisis now, yikes!
I need to get some decent miles under my saddle, long audaxes are such a head game that unless you are a blissfully ignorant virgin, you need a few rides (sic) to become a cynical and experienced addict before you can approach events like this with confidence.

« Reply #64 on: 20 June, 2008, 08:02:10 pm »
All this talk of training plans brings to mind the young Japanese male and female riders on LEL 2005.  It was their first bike ride over 100km IIRC.

That's a bit exaggerated. Akiko assisted in the Willesden battle van and did the Sicily 1000 between PBP and LEL. One of the chaps started cycling in the LEL year but had done some longer events.
The Willesden Nippon fraction was part of the Willesden bus and thus simply followed the LEL anciens in green :D

Cycling Viking

« Reply #65 on: 21 June, 2008, 11:25:26 am »
Oh I am not the only one then, I registered in february, but no sound from Melitta.

Cheque in January for two entrants and not yet cleared - or acknowledged at what point do I worry? Or spend the cash!

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #66 on: 21 June, 2008, 01:03:14 pm »

Cheque in January for two entrants and not yet cleared - or acknowledged at what point do I worry? Or spend the cash!

Same here. Cheque sent off in Jan, not yet cleared, no confirmation, no response from repeated emails.... one might become a little miffed....

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #67 on: 23 June, 2008, 11:37:37 am »
There was a thread earlier in the year (possibly in the other place?) suggesting Mel had only cashed the cheques of the early (2007) deposits.

I never trust emails until I've confirmed 2-way comms (so many things can and do go wrong), so I'd look for a phone number. Or just wait a few months - there's no way it'll sellout before Chrimbo.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #68 on: 23 June, 2008, 11:45:21 am »
Possibly a silly question but what do I have to do to enter this?  (I mean the technical/logistical steps not the 'ride unfeasably long distances until you cry for mummy' training advice).

Do you need to prequalify as with PBP?

« Reply #69 on: 23 June, 2008, 11:47:51 am »
Possibly a silly question but what do I have to do to enter this?  (I mean the technical/logistical steps not the 'ride unfeasably long distances until you cry for mummy' training advice).

Do you need to prequalify as with PBP?

No need to qualify. Good idea to do a few good long rides in the preceeding months though.

Madcow

« Reply #70 on: 23 June, 2008, 02:48:39 pm »
I saw Melita at the York Rally and passed on the message that she was getting a bit of flak from you all. She knows about the delays and will do her best to reply .  She does have another life as well as organising LEL.

DanialW

« Reply #71 on: 23 June, 2008, 04:52:29 pm »
charming

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #72 on: 23 June, 2008, 05:46:43 pm »

Madcow

« Reply #73 on: 23 June, 2008, 05:50:39 pm »
Sorry  if that was bit blunt ,I was merely letting you know that Melita is now aware of the problem.
 I understand she has been doing some pretty intensive studying and this has taken up a lot of time.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #74 on: 23 June, 2008, 08:05:23 pm »
Sorry  if that was bit blunt ,I was merely letting you know that Melita is now aware of the problem.
 I understand she has been doing some pretty intensive studying and this has taken up a lot of time.

Melita is also organising the Birthday Rides.
I'm afraid I feel that she is not fulfilling all commitments and may have bitten off more than she can chew. I can't blame some posters feeling aggrieved.