Author Topic: How does this tub holder work?  (Read 2918 times)

Porkins

• Formerly Nick H. And a long time ago etc, Eurostar
How does this tub holder work?
« on: March 31, 2008, 08:12:22 pm »
It's on ebay -

Where do you mount it and how does it hold the tub? ???

Re: How does this tub holder work?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:34:33 pm »
Bolts to your saddle rails, I think then the rubber band wraps round the tub to hold it in place.

Porkins

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:46:23 pm »
Aah, thank you very much. Did everybody used to have one of these then? I thought spare tubs under saddles were held with a toe strap or something.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:47:47 pm »
That looks like a device that should be in NSFW!
Never tell me the odds.

Porkins

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:54:40 pm »
Now you mention it, I did see something very similar in a sex shop in San Francisco. Perhaps I should buy it just as an accessory for the Rubber Ball?

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:13:05 pm »
spare tub should be wrapped in last weeks Cycling then held under saddle with  a leather toe strap ...

at least, was in the early '60s.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:00:48 pm »
Do you change the copy of cycling every week?

Jakob

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 05:02:47 pm »
Aah, thank you very much. Did everybody used to have one of these then? I thought spare tubs under saddles were held with a toe strap or something.

Yeah, I used one, but found that either I had a bag of some sort or the ride was short enough not to need a spare.
Buy highend tubs with butyl inners (Conti or Tufo), add some tufo sealant you'll laugh at the p*nct*re fairies (While they're not watching, of course).

Porkins

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 12:03:34 pm »
Have committed myself to high end tubs with latex inners and am hoping that Vittoria Pit Stop will let me chuckle at the wee beasties.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 12:42:35 pm »
Did everybody used to have one of these then? I thought spare tubs under saddles were held with a toe strap or something.

I still do, on my tub-equipped Bianchi.  It is a different way of doing the same thing as a toestrap.  I still wrap my spare tub in a bag or newspaper or something though...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »
Putting it in a bag or wrapping it, before strapping it to the saddle is a good idea, otherwise constant rubbing from road vibrations will eventually damaged your spare tub. Oh, and of course expensive lightweight tubs don't come with butyl tubes, only latex.

Jakob

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 10:48:25 am »
Putting it in bag or wrapping it, before strapping it to the saddle is a good idea, otherwise constant rubbing from road vibrations will eventually damaged your spare tub. Oh, and of course expensive lightweight tubs don't come with butyl tubes, only latex.

Both Continental & Tufo uses butyl tubes. Contis might not be all that lightweight, but Tufo got a couple...

Porkins

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 12:44:38 pm »
I've got ten 27 mm Dugast SPs on order. They have a kevlar belt, claimed to reduce fairy visitations by 80%. And they have latex inners, so I'll get some Vittoria Pit Stop. What's the best way to patch a hole? I can't find any repair kits with latex patches -  should I buy a latex inner tube and chop it up?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 01:07:57 pm »
Aren't they, like, $150 a pop, Nick?

::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Porkins

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 01:38:48 pm »
You might say that. I couldn't possibly comment.  :-[

Come on, I do have my reputation as kit whore to consider.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 02:05:57 pm »
I'll stick with my Armadildos for summer rubber, I think.

*wanders off, shaking head*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 02:21:43 pm »
Tubs baffle me.  After spending the summer of '89 (or thereabouts) being nimblefingered and fixing them for my time-trialling friend, they're a horrid scar in my memories.  Stinky glue (or tape that misbehaves) and re-stitching them is a bugger of a chore! 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jakob

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 02:47:53 pm »
Tubs baffle me.  After spending the summer of '89 (or thereabouts) being nimblefingered and fixing them for my time-trialling friend, they're a horrid scar in my memories.  Stinky glue (or tape that misbehaves) and re-stitching them is a bugger of a chore! 

I found the surprisingly low-maintenance. At least the Conti's I've used have lasted well, been mostly puncture free (2 small ones fixed with Tufo sealant) and far more pleasant to ride on.
I used tape for the first set and it took me about 20 minutes to put the tubs on and that's only because the Conti Competitions were a very tight fit on my Mavic rims. I previously used the Gatorskins and it took less than 5 minutes and you're ready to ride.
 With my renewed aim of doing more track ride, the next set will be glued, which I must admit I am dreading a bit.