Author Topic: n+1 accident - not even Kim's fault  (Read 11195 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
n+1 accident - not even Kim's fault
« on: 13 June, 2010, 08:42:30 pm »

A friend had this kicking around in his garage for the past two years and was keen to fill its place with yet-more-bikes.  Seems last time my friend tried to give this away the recipient's SWMBO insta-rejected it and it came back. 

Kim fits on the critical saddle height, and after a couple of scary starts we got the basic knack round the block which as far as we wanted to do with a completely absent rear brake and the very brief interlude in WeatherTM.  :thumbsup:

I know nothing about bicycles, even less about tandems as I'm a very recent convert in training however I am advised to pre-empt you lot by saying the 'timing chain' is a bit slack.  Even I recognise the need for serious fettling which I'm sure Kim will enjoy during the 'weather warning' we're in the middle of.

Re: n+1 accident - not even Kim's fault
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:06:53 pm »
What's wrong with the rear brake?  It looks like there is something there in the photo, and given the cable, I'd guess a V-brake with a noodle.  The rear brake on any bike is less important (generally) than the front, which looks like a suitably big disc on those forks.

Still it looks like a suitable foray into the adventurous world of Tandems.  It seems to be catching at the moment, after Woolly's do yesterday, which had some of his friends looking at Tandems on eBay, and CrinklyLion trying out stoking on Wow's Tandem.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:24:25 pm »
What's wrong with the rear brake?  It looks like there is something there in the photo, and given the cable, I'd guess a V-brake with a noodle.  The rear brake on any bike is less important (generally) than the front, which looks like a suitably big disc on those forks.

It's a V-brake that's had its blocks and cable inner 'borrowed' for something.  Easily sorted, I've got the bits in a box somewhere.  The front is discy goodness, and works nicely.

Gears and chain need fettling, which is easy enough.  Front tyre seems to be trying to escape from the rim, which may be a sign of dodginess - I haven't had it off to see.

I need a much shorter stem on the front to achieve a sensible non-superman riding position (I'm currently struggling to support the bike+stoker properly while reaching the brake, which makes stopping and starting a bit interesting), but there's no problem with my ridiculously short legs - the saddle actually needs to go up a bit.

We'll look at barakta-compatable bar adjustments once the basics are sorted.  Probably some wacky combination of a decent long set of stoker bars and creative use of bar-ends.  Or something.  And of course proper pedals and saddles (that one on the back is an instrument of torture).

Still it looks like a suitable foray into the adventurous world of Tandems.  It seems to be catching at the moment, after Woolly's do yesterday, which had some of his friends looking at Tandems on eBay, and CrinklyLion trying out stoking on Wow's Tandem.

Short of the right sort of recumbent trike (which as a species seem less inclined to materialise out of the murky depths of people's garages), stoking a tandem is the simplest way to get barakta riding a bike safely on proper roads (ie. the ones that lead away from Birmingham).  And good fun in itself.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:32:38 pm »
That does look like a rather long stem.  You could also move the saddle forward a bit, subject to it still leaving your legs comfortable.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:36:07 pm »
11 out of 10 barakta for initiative. :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2010, 10:00:18 pm »
Fantastic :thumbsup:. I recommend proper stoker bars. I think ours are Profile ones, but they certainly came from JD Cycles. If you need any tandem bits, they are a good place to start :). Hope we see you out on it soon :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

barakta

« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2010, 10:13:40 pm »
11 out of 10 barakta for initiative. :thumbsup:

I didn't do anything, just mentioned Kim had got a bent and this friend who was dropping me off at home in his van said he had a tandem he was looking to get rid of and would I like it.   I said I'd check with Kim (cos I know how the SWMBO game works) and then emailed Phil back and said "yes please" and he turned up today with it!

He wants to fill the space with more bikes - he doesn't really have a regular stoker since his daughter got bored with it.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2010, 10:17:17 pm »
you were ....right place right time = mighty fine

hope you & Kim enjoy it

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2010, 10:17:47 pm »
11 out of 10 to barakta for the enormous grin after making it round the block alive twice, though.  That's what it's all about.  :D

« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2010, 10:40:24 pm »
11 out of 10 to barakta for the enormous grin after making it round the block alive twice, though.  That's what it's all about.  :D
Oh yes :D. It gets less terrifying once you relax as well 8).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #10 on: 14 June, 2010, 08:01:38 am »
Fantastic :thumbsup:. I recommend proper stoker bars. I think ours are Profile ones, but they certainly came from JD Cycles. If you need any tandem bits, they are a good place to start :). Hope we see you out on it soon :D.
JD are the bees knees, but somewhere a little closer to Brum is the Tandem Shop at Ironbridge (www.thetandemshop.com).  Their website isn't a great help when looking for parts (but then, I don't find JD's that good either - both are designed for selling tandems rather than components) but as with JD you'll get good advice on a visit or over the phone.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 14 June, 2010, 11:08:36 pm »
Well, after some serious fettling, it's looking a bit more promising...

The tyres, while hardly worn, are thoroughly past their sell-by date and disintegrating on the inside.  Front tube has several patches and a slow leak.  Replacements ordered.

Trued both wheels.

Attempted to get the freewheel off with a view to giving the bearings on the rear hub some TLC (it's making some seriously horrid noises), but, as usual with freewheels, failed.  Re-greased the side I could get at and adjusted, which improved things somewhat.

Dug out some decent V-brake blocks, determined my spare brake cables wouldn't fit, ordered a longer one.

Dug out an adjustable stem, which brought the bars back and up, but not quite back enough.  Hmm.

Removed a link from the timing chain.  That made it too short, so I put it back again.  Added some washers to the tensioner mounting to make it mostly okay.

Tweaked the gear adjustments, determined the gears are scarily roadie (42-28 is as low as it gets).

Tweaked the disc brake to stop it rubbing.

Adjusted both saddles to good effect.  Sheared a seat-post bolt.

Raised the stoker bars.

Stuck some SPD-compatible pedals on the front.

Had a few short test-rides, one with stoker on board.  Nothing broke.  Nobody died.  My riding position is now 'uncomfortable' rather than 'insane'.  Stoker still has a sense of humour.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12 on: 14 June, 2010, 11:48:22 pm »
Well, after some serious fettling, it's looking a bit more promising...
<snip>
Removed a link from the timing chain.  That made it too short, so I put it back again.  Added some washers to the tensioner mounting to make it mostly okay.

Somewhere on teh intarwebs are instructions on how to make half links.  Or you could buy one I suppose.

<snip>

Adjusted both saddles to good effect.  Sheared a seat-post bolt.

Ah. The old "do it up till it shears, then back it off a quarter of a turn" method. It's what I use.
<snip>
Had a few short test-rides, one with stoker on board.  Nothing broke.  Nobody died.  My riding position is now 'uncomfortable' rather than 'insane'.  Stoker still has a sense of humour.

Excellent.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 15 June, 2010, 12:04:51 am »
Somewhere on teh intarwebs are instructions on how to make half links.  Or you could buy one I suppose.

Excellent point.  I'd forgotten about those.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 16 June, 2010, 07:57:41 pm »
Progress:

All the fettling described above, plus:

New tyres (one actually new, one rotated through the recumbent).

Rear brake cable fitted, brake adjusted.

Rack fitted, requiring minor acts of botchery.

The last of my stash of Those Excellent Infini Rear Lights (bought several when CRC were selling them for 3 quid each inc batteries) dug out and fitted.

Bottle cages.

Brackets for front light and Garmin on bars.

It's doing a reasonable impression of a proper bike now, as long as nobody spins the rear wheel  ;D

aisha

« Reply #15 on: 16 June, 2010, 08:31:17 pm »
That looks like loads of fun!
Where do you get a rear brake cable long enough for a tandem?

« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2010, 08:41:12 pm »
You buy a Tandem Brake Cable:

Wiggle "Transfil Tandem Brake Cable"

SJS Cycles "Thorn Pear Nipple Tandem Brake Cable"

...and almost certainly many other places.

You often need them for recumbents as well, since they tend to have complicated and long torturous cable routing.

I've also bought them for some of my bikes, since the frames are often rather large, and "standard" rear cables weren't always long enough.

« Reply #17 on: 17 June, 2010, 12:09:57 am »
Re the chain tensioner - Sheldon Brown mentions a 'ghost chainring' as a way of dealing with chain tension:

Another trick that sometimes works is to install a "ghost chainring". This would be a chainring somewhat larger than the synch chainwheels stuck somewhere in the middle of the synch chain, with its top and bottom teeth engaging the synch chain. As the upper part of the synch chain moves forward, the lower part moves backward, so the ghost chainring revolves while holding its position, even though it is not attached to any part of the frame. It is quite an eye-catching effect.

I've never done this myself, but it might be an idea to consider.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 17 June, 2010, 12:19:28 am »
Re the chain tensioner - Sheldon Brown mentions a 'ghost chainring' as a way of dealing with chain tension

Ooooh, I have to try that, even if it isn't entirely practical...

I've got a half-link on its way, which should bring the chain back into the sensible adjustment range of the tensioner, for when that doesn't work.

The washer botch is doing the job for now, as long as we don't do anything too stupid.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:12:57 am »
I've seen it done a few times.  It messes with your head, and I think it might struggle to stay in over rough ground, but it seems to work.
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:57:58 am »
I've seen chris juden do it, so it must be good.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: 20 June, 2010, 09:09:09 pm »
I've done it on my last tandem; it does sort of work.  But as soon as you go over something really bumpy, your cool ghost chainring turns into yet another pingfuckit.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 20 July, 2010, 04:50:54 pm »
Further progress:

Having concluded that flat/butterfly bars are the only sane solution to the reach / having enough leverage to deal with the stoker wobbling about issue, I've managed to score some bargainous Deore shifters on eBay.  I've also invested in some astoundingly cheap Tektro brake levers and a new (9-speed compatible) rear wheel.

I've dug out some flat bars, grips and an 11-32 cassette, and put it all together.  The ergonomics are now significantly more Kim-friendly, and more gear range is an added bonus.  As is a rear wheel that actually spins.

And swapped saddles for some slightly less evil ones I had lying around.

Just need to re-fit the timing chain and adjust the tensioner, and it should be good to go.  But not until after the Dunwich Dynamo.  I'm not going to risk some sort of tandem-n00b knee injury at this stage.

« Reply #23 on: 20 July, 2010, 05:24:32 pm »
Ah well, you'll be able to do the DunRun on Tandem next year then? ;D

barakta

« Reply #24 on: 20 July, 2010, 07:47:34 pm »
I'm not going to risk some sort of tandem-n00b knee injury at this stage.

Your stoker still has a failed vestibular system which could make her rather wobbly too!

Next week is a better bet!  Although I just realised we have my mum incoming, so have to move bicycles to accommodate her!